Cooling Fan On/Off

XTRAWLD

I went for my second ride on my FZ last night for about 2 hours. When I got home I rode it into the garage and when parking it the fan came on. So I finished my manuevering, put the kickstand down and got off. I then turned off the key. The fan turned off. I thought, hmm, that's odd. I put the key back in and turned it to the on position (did not restart), and the fan came back on. The temp read 106C. OK, so nothing out of the ordinary I don't think, good the fan came on but.....shouldn't it stay on if I take the key out? I left it in for a couple minutes and the fan continued to run. I took the key out and put it away for the night. I checked a little later, and temp was down to 83C. So it cooled eventually, I just find it odd for the fan to turn off with the key. Is this normal?

iSpoolin

Yes its normal.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it's normal. You wouldn't want to shut the bike off, walk away with your key and the fan continues to run and drain the battery. Besides, once you shut the engine off, it will cool on its own, with or without the fan.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
That just raise some question... Does anyone ever make sure the light turn off after closing the refrigerator door? LOL
I tape my light switch in the fridge closed so the light is always off... I cant take not knowing :( haha :rof: :justkidding:

Harda toenail

I test my fridge and microwave about once a week because I'm anal about those types of things. Somehow they ALWAYS work. American motor companies should hire those engineers

XTRAWLD

I only ask because my Ninja ran the fan until it was cooled enough, and the old Gixxer did the same thing. Must be a Yamaha thing. Thanks folks!

ChUcK

I went for my second ride on my FZ last night for about 2 hours. When I got home I rode it into the garage and when parking it the fan came on. So I finished my manuevering, put the kickstand down and got off. I then turned off the key. The fan turned off. I thought, hmm, that's odd. I put the key back in and turned it to the on position (did not restart), and the fan came back on. The temp read 106C. OK, so nothing out of the ordinary I don't think, good the fan came on but.....shouldn't it stay on if I take the key out? I left it in for a couple minutes and the fan continued to run. I took the key out and put it away for the night. I checked a little later, and temp was down to 83C. So it cooled eventually, I just find it odd for the fan to turn off with the key. Is this normal?
Letting the fan run with the bike off won't really cool the engine much, I recommend not doing this. If the bike is off there's no more heat source, and that will cool it.

If the fan is running but the coolant isn't pumping then you're only cooling the stuff inside the radiator, not the stuff inside the engine. There will be a minimal amount of flow due to the induced heat difference (there are nuclear reactor plants whose coolant flows on this principle, without pumps) but the flow path has to be engineered for that sort of phenomenon in order for it to be useful.

Try this- next time you park and the fan is on, leave the bike off and cool the radiator the same as you did before. Once the temp display reads a lower value and the fan shuts off again, start the bike up. As the coolant flows again the temperature will homogenize and the display will spike back up to actual engine coolant temp, and it won't be that much cooler than when you first shut off the engine.

Chucker

That just raise some question... Does anyone ever make sure the light turn off after closing the refrigerator door? LOL
I check my fridge light monthly to ensure it turns off. I hate wasting electricity. The new fridges are much better than the really old ones because you don't have to worry about the door latching while you're inside.

CDN6R

Here is what I sometimes do,,probably not right but:::::: When I put the 6R in the garage and the fan is runnin,,I keep the bike idling until the temp goes down and the fan shuts off automatically. That way I feel that the bikes internals are cooler than if I put it to bed all hot under the collor.;)

Chucker

Here is what I sometimes do,,probably not right but:::::: When I put the 6R in the garage and the fan is runnin,,I keep the bike idling until the temp goes down and the fan shuts off automatically. That way I feel that the bikes internals are cooler than if I put it to bed all hot under the collor.;)
I think it will cool faster shut off. With it idling, you're generating heat and then fighting it with the fan and rad. It will never get hotter after you shut it off, so there is no gain in running it to cool it down. You'd be better to ride it up the street and back and shut it off before you stop. Still pointless.

CDN6R

OK,,, so is the temp guage reading the coolent in the bike or in the rad? I think it may be in the bike

Chucker

OK,,, so is the temp guage reading the coolent in the bike or in the rad? I think it may be in the bike
I'm pretty sure it measures the coolant in the engine, as the thermostat opens and closes based on the coolant temp. If it measured from the rad, the thermostat would never open when the bike warmed up (I assume it has a thermostat). But still, the bike is already at a certain temp when you shut it off. Regardless of what that temp is, it'll cool down on its own.

JSP

Super Moderator
Maybe a test would be....

Let the bike idle with fan on and watch how long it takes to get to a specific temperature. Record that time.

Next test, Turn the bike off and periodically turn key to check temp and see how long it takes with it off to get down to that temperature.

There wouldnt be any effect on having the bike off AND having the fan run though... Besides draining your battery. The coolant is not moving when the engine is off.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
maybe a test would be....

Let the bike idle with fan on and watch how long it takes to get to a specific temperature. Record that time.

Next test, turn the bike off and periodically turn key to check temp and see how long it takes with it off to get down to that temperature.

there wouldn't be any effect on having the bike off and having the fan run though... Besides draining your battery. The coolant is not moving when the engine is off.
^^^^^this!

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

ecunni04

Yes, it's normal. You wouldn't want to shut the bike off, walk away with your key and the fan continues to run and drain the battery. Besides, once you shut the engine off, it will cool on its own, with or without the fan.
This may be true but what about heat soak? If this is anything like a car with electric fans, it will come on automatically to protect the engine. Yes even when the key is in the off position or out of the ignition. It does this by way of the computer or ECM. It should be normal. Just my two cents...

JSP

Super Moderator
They designed the bike to do what it does... so I wouldnt worry about it. Dont over think it :D

herbie

its fine to just shut it down,every engine has heat soak that momentarily spikes the engine temp ,thats just the nature of the beast and the coolant soaks that up easily,also why your cooling system pressure will rise slightly after shut down,