Cooler weather finally here

TigerGenetics

well, I am trying to keep riding as long as I can, but it is getting cooler around here. My reason for posting this new topic is for a little advice.

I know there are threads regarding cold weather riding but I can't really seem to find what I am looking for.

I can handle the cold on my body as I wear many layers on top and on bottom. My hands still get cold even when wearing Texport winter gloves, but again, I can handle that.

What I am having the most trouble with is my eyes watering so bad from cold air blowing inside my helmet. I have all the vents closed, wear a balaclava, but the air that still makes it in makes my eyes water so bad that I literally have tears rolling down my face.

What would be the best solution for this? Goggles that kind of "seal" around the eyes under the helmet? It gets tough to see in the dark with vehicle headlights in your face when your eyes are watering so bad. I leave for work around 5:30AM (dark out) and leave work around 6:30PM (dark out) so watering eyes poses a serious safety risk for me and I don't want to stop riding for something like that.

JSP

Super Moderator
I wear a thick fleece balaclava (thank you again Dart), backwards. No, not over my face so I cant see, haha. I wear it backwards and pull it down below my chin. I then put my helmet on and stuff the hood part up inside my helmet up to my nose. This pretty much blocks all wind from getting inside my helmet. It stops the piercing pain on my neck from the ice cold wind as well!

It works really well and my face and neck dont get cold at all anymore even under 30 degrees.

ChasingSquid

It's starting to get cooler in Chicago but thats not stopping me from riding. Generally ill favor lots of layers to stay warm, but then again, I'm not riding for an extended period of time, so it might be a bit different for me. I do have a North Face zip up fleece that i wear and it comes up to right under my helmet, generally that keeps the wind out.

TigerGenetics

Cool. The balaclava I have is the Alpinestars balaclava that works GREAT for keeping the wind off my neck, mouth, and nose, but that exposed area is what gets me. So I am going to check out these solutions. jspansel, I am a little confused by your post, the way you describe how you are wearing the balaclava, you still put it under your helmet or do you put it over the outside after the helmet is on? With how you described it, it sounds like it should go over the outside of the helmet?:confused:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Any tips for keeping my fingers warm? I am leaning towards hand guards to block the wind.

MikeN02

Never really had it happen to me. When it really gets cold in FL (or so I think) I use my anti freeze ninja mask. So it protects my neck.

Other thing is my hands, one time it was so cold it started to hurt.

Detrich

90 degrees and sunny in Los Angeles today... woo hoo ! :)

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Yup yup, 96 degrees in Los Angeles county. Riding weather is here....
You shut up!!! haha :justkidding: Its a fairly decent week here in the 50's-60's but we are gonna be pretty much in the 40's now. Still ride though! As long as there is no snow or ice on the ground, or chance of, I will ride. I dont winterize my bikes. There is always at least 1 or 2 days a month I can ride and keep everything charged and lubed ;)

Detrich

w00t...

:)

ry-mac75

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Detrich

Last edited:

Detrich

clear skies ahead captain!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
It was 41 F when I left for work this morning. I put my textile jacket with quilted liner on and wrapped a scarf around my neck. Tucked my jeans into my boots and I was warm enough not to be miserable when I got to work.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member