cold weather riders..??

raven6

A little back ground... I'm using the bike to commute, 50 miles round trip at hi-way speeds.. It's starting to get colder around here in the mornings, mid to upper 40's, and I'm looking to pick up some "cold weather gear" that can keep me warm in the mornings but transition for the ride home in the afternoon temps, upper 70's -upper 80's...

so here's the question... pick up some non-perf leathers with-out a thermal liner to keep me warm in the morning and should do ok for cooling later in the day.?

pick up some perf'ed leathers with a thermal liner, may keep me warm in the morning and will do fine at cooling later in the day.?

pick up textile with a thermal liner...?

any help from you cold weather riders..??

thanks

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Don!

Layering is where it's at. I have a mesh jacket that keeps me warm with the liner installed, and today's ride to work was in the low 40's. Zip out the liner after work for the ride home in the 70-80's. I also own a textile jacket with liners for riding during the "winter" where temps are at or below freezing.

Also consider a good pair of overpants. These will keep your legs warm and dry. I also suggest a scarf or some sort of neck gaiter. It doesn't do much good if your chest, legs and hands stay warm if you let all the heat escape from around your neck.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

ry-mac75

Speaking strictly as a Canuck (let's face it, we're practically arctic here half the time) the base layer is key. If you wear something that wicks (ie: under armour or nike dry fit), a t-shirt and a sweater (making sure to tuck in the base layer) - you will be surprised how warm you are. The air between each layer you put on, acts as added insulation (skiers do it all the time).

Since you're in Texas and the day is bound to heat up some, you can shed layers as the day goes. When I know the temp is going to dip - I always add a few extra shirts to my bag. I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Stricken

I live in Houston Texas and commute every 6am in the morning with temps down to 50 degrees. I wear the olypmpia phantom 1 piece suit and it has kept me warm.

catchy name

tall windscreen makes a world of diff! I ride till the white stuff hits the tarmac. once cleared im on 2 wheels again. I do layer but the winscreen made the biggest deal. now since I have very little wind to the torso and head its nice and quiet. . so I added a sound system to break up the voices in my head :)

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

toddjcruz

I have a thinner windproof riding jacket, great for days when you want just a little something to keep you a bit warm. That's all I have.

For when it gets cold, I toss my Tourmaster heated vest under it and select the right temp for the situation. Works great. I've only had to use this one jacket the entire time. And when it get real cold, toss that baby on high and its like being in a nice jacuzzi!

I also have a full Madstad adjustable windscreen that does a good job of keeping the wind off me when its 50* out and most of the times, that does the trick. I just added the hand guards and heated grips. The hand guard keeping the wind off your hands, really takes care of the fingers. I didnt realize how well they would work. I don't need the heated, at least not now. I wear my thinner golves now when its cold, not my larger ones. Doubt I will need them again now that I have the guards and the heated grips.

I plan on riding all winter long, so I expect to get a lot of use again off the heated vest and grips. 38 in the trees can really put a chill up your spine.

raven6

thanks everyone for your input... I just ordered an A-Stars perf'ed leather jacket with thermal liner and textile ridding pants which have both a thermal and rain-proof liner...

Roaddawg

as for neck coverage, I use a windproof balaclava. It works good to block the cold wind, yet not bunchy like a sweater/turtle neck.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bmw675

its been around 50 when ive been riding lately. i just wear under armour, tshirt, and my perforated leather jacket. my upper half stays warm, but my legs get a little chilly, so i still need to address that.

Detrich

when it's 50 outside, i do the same thing and layer up- ie, long thermal underwear top & bottom, wool socks, long-sleeve t-shirt or henley or turtle-neck, perforated leather jacket (with liner zipped in). the long thermals really help keep the legs warm in 50* weather...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

bigpish13

As far as winter gear for me, I layer up. I also have a tourmaster weatherproof jacket along with the overpants as well as touring weatherproof gloves. All I am really waiting for is my puig touring windscreen by the end of the month hopefully. I know it will be a world of difference.

husker525

It is starting to really dip down at night and early morning here in Colorado, but warming up to the high 70's in the day. I put my non perf leather jacket with the liner, my jeans on under my nylon riding pants with the liner in the morning. Zip out the liners, throw them in my backpack, and head home in the afternoon. The only thing that ever gets chilly is my neck, below my helmet, and above my jacket. I have 42 miles of 75 mph freeway to ride to get to the city, so windchill can really be a factor. God bless you die hards that ride all the time when there is no snow on the ground....LOL