Clutch cable adjustment

photoman002

I have 11,000 miles on my bike, and the clutch cable adjuster is at the end of the barrel... Is there any other location to adjust the cable? Also the clutch lever does have a lot of free play (more than spec)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SixRFixR

There is another adjuster down the cable, but if you've run out of adjustment at the lever, the cable may be stretched and getting ready to fail.

photoman002

Was looking this morning and found this... That's within Yamaha specs yes? At least I have a new cable on order with my dealership and it is supposed to rain these next 5 days.

bmw675

Was it rubbing on something?

photoman002

When the cable comes in and I change it out I will thoroughly check and let the forum know what I found

photoman002

Old cable out, new cable in... I didn't see anything that would have caused the fraying, so I hope I don't see it happen again.

Grumpy

Had to replace my clutch cable after about 8K miles. It was so heavy I though it was the clutch. Turns out after lubing the cable it helped a ton but then started it started getting heavy again. We replaced the cable and I have had no problems.

We pulled the cable from the housing and it was corroded pretty bad and was starting to fray in one spot. We came to the conclusion that since I ride in the rain, the notch in the adjuster was letting water to get into the cable housing. I know put grease in that aria in order to help minimize water from getting down in the cable.

So far so good.

Cheers!