Changing the timing

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Rumpig

Exhaust R6 (07+) for my intake... As the FZ6R (Different from most bikes) uses the same springs on the smaller (And consequently lighter) exhaust valves, i decided to keep exhaust springs... I think R6 (07+) intake springs would work perfectly too, it would make 2kgf more at max lift than the R6 exhaust ones (And 12kgf than the FZ6R ones) on the FZ6R intake with FZ6 camshaft... Intalled force (Valves closed) would be virtually the same (Around 15kgf) for the 3 (FZ6R, R6 exhaust and R6 intake)... Ohhhh, important to mention, R6 springs before 2006 won't work... Intake are dual (You would need to check closely for compatibility, and at least, replace valve seats, maybe locks and etc., for the dual springs setup)... And the exhaust ones would coil bind, believe me, i forgot to consider that and bought them... Thankfuly i compressed and measured before installing, but i lost some money though :( ...
Thanks for the info.
I knew the fz6 had dual springs the same as early R6's but hadn't checked to see if later R6 single springs would fit.

Bruno

Thanks for the info.
I knew the fz6 had dual springs the same as early R6's but hadn't checked to see if later R6 single springs would fit.
It was a lot of work to find springs that fit... I sent many messages to ebay sellers asking for measurements... Many measures diverged from one seller to other, i had to do some averages and eliminations and at the end, i had to take some risks!

Anyone do before and after audio clips? Changing cam and ignition timing really changes the engines tone and in the case of the FZ6, the throttle response...

FZ6 audio MP3 ride along P1X tips in

MP3 2Bro P1X tips out skip to 2:30 it gets opened up...

Keep up the good work. Thread has plenty of content.

Last edited:
I'll probably have to tape an old mobile to the swingarm to do that. How'd you record yours?
Haha!
Close. Android + mesh jacket.

Question, did you degree in the fZ6 cams or install straight up?

Rumpig

Degree'd them to Marthy's specs. Probably not needed with proper timing maps.

Just got an OZ fz6 ecu with the throttle bodies I bought but it's series 1 not 2. I can still read it, just need to drill one hole in the case to do it. I was hoping it was the same as yours, 2008 and up are all the same. See how I go.

ST3RL0

Degree'd them to Marthy's specs. Probably not needed with proper timing maps.

Just got an OZ fz6 ecu with the throttle bodies I bought but it's series 1 not 2. I can still read it, just need to drill one hole in the case to do it. I was hoping it was the same as yours, 2008 and up are all the same. See how I go.
How much did the ecu set you back? Been tossing up whether to get it or not

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

FZ6 ECU on your 6R? Timing maps, fuel maps, increased red-line, the US S1 2004 - 06, no O2 sensor. S2 group 07 - 09. These have an O2 sensor but the ECU doesn't trigger a CEL if O2 or AIS is disconnected.

Is your fuel pressure at 36 PSI? If so, sounds like the injectors and TB could just drop on. Otherwise you'd need an FZ6 P/R.

Rumpig, drilling a hole in your ecu to access specific data lines? How in the heck do you know where it is? I guess we'll find out!

One problem w 6 on 6R could be the primary and secondary drive ratios as well each of the 6 gear ratios. The ecu uses the CPS and output shaft to set the ignition advanced throughout all gears. In addition the tach would read correct but speed may be off.
The 6 forum Ive posted the trans ratios. For your sake I hope they are the same as the 6R. R6 is not the same as fz6 for what little thats worth.

*** never mind, ratios are all the same... ***

Thread is here.... FZ6 post - copy paste from 600riders.com
Calculate Speed or RPM from variables

All,
After seeing all the threads about correcting the speedo error, top speed, tires, and how fast will an FZ go, I had to look a bit deeper. With that here is a formula that should give you the corrected speed based upon gear selection, sprocket choice, and tire diameter.

Obviously tire pressure and speed will change the rear tires rolling distance but I'm not going to get into that! In short if you have Stock Gearing and the manufactures recommended rear tire; If you hold your RPM's at 6,000 you should get the Speeds listed in Bold in all Six Gears (27, 40, 50, 59, 66 and 72mph)! There are other variables, but this should be pretty close. If you change sprockets or Tire diameter, use the formula to punch in the correct values so you can see how far off your speed is.

Formula is:

RPM * PIE * Tire Diameter (inches)
---------------------------------- = Speed in MPH
1056 (constant) * Actual Drive Ratio

So now we add in all the variables:

TIRE:
Stock Tire: 180, 55 ZR17 73W
Hint: Z rating is rated at 149mph with a max speed of (W) = 168mph
Tire Diameter: 24.8"
Circumference: 77.9"
Revs Per Mile: 813.39
Adding ACTUAL TIRE ROLL OUT DATA.....
Used mounted 37PSI:

Roll out: 75.5", wear passed tread bars
Tire OD: 24.03"

NEW mounted 37PSI:
Roll out: 77.375"
Tire OD: 24.63"

Tread bar depth near center: 0.22"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

RATIOS:
Primary Ratio: Engine to Trans (PR): 86/44 = 1.9555
Secondary Ratio: Sprockets (SR): 46/16 = 2.8751

TRANSMISSION RATIOS:
G1 = 37/13 = 2.846
G2 = 37/19 = 1.947
G3 = 28/18 = 1.556
G4 = 32/24 = 1.333
G5 = 25/21 = 1.190
G6 = 26/24 = 1.083

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

RPM * PIE * Tire Diameter (inches)
---------------------------------- = Speed in MPH
1056 * PR * SR * G#

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

1st Gear @ 6000 RPM:
6000 * 3.1415 * 24.8
---------------------------------- = 27.6MPH
1056 * 1.9555 * 2.8751 * (G1) 2.846

2nd Gear @ 6000 RPM:
6000 * 3.1415 * 24.8
---------------------------------- = 40.4MPH
1056 * 1.9555 * 2.8751 * (G2) 1.947

3rd Gear @ 6000 RPM:
6000 * 3.1415 * 24.8
---------------------------------- = 50.6MPH
1056 * 1.9555 * 2.8751 * (G3) 1.556

4th Gear @ 6000 RPM:
6000 * 3.1415 * 24.8
---------------------------------- = 59.0MPH
1056 * 1.9555 * 2.8751 * (G4) 1.333

5th Gear @ 6000 RPM:
6000 * 3.1415 * 24.8
---------------------------------- = 66.2MPH
1056 * 1.9555 * 2.8751 * (G5) 1.190

6th Gear @ 6000 RPM:
6000 * 3.1415 * 24.8
---------------------------------- = 72.7MPH
1056 * 1.9555 * 2.8751 * (G6) 1.083

haha! Confirmed! :thumbup: Speedo was correct!

2nd Gear @ 14,000 RPM:
14,000 * 3.1415 * 24.8
---------------------------------- = 94.3MPH :eek:
1056 * 1.9555 * 2.8751 * (G2) 1.947

Plug in the numbers for the variables on your bike and watch the tach! This should tell you pretty close to what your actual speed is!

To get the tires diameter use this!
Remember there are many variables so this is to get us "close"!

Using a stock Tire Size of: 180/55 R17
The first number is the Tire's indicated section width in millimeters, measured from sidewall to sidewall. {180}/55R17

Section Width: 180 is converted to inches!
180mm / 25.4 = 7.0866"

Profile or Aspect Ratio: 55
The second number 180/{55}R17 is the tire's aspect ratio or profile.
55% or add a decimal point 0.55

Sidewall Height (SH):
SH = 7.0866" X 0.55 = 3.897"

Wheel Diameter (WD): 180/55R{17"}
WD = 17"

Tire Diameter in Inches:
SH + SH + WD = Tire Diameter
3.897" + 3.897" + 17" = 24.8"

I Hope you find this useful! If anyone sees any errors, let me know and I'll correct them!

Regards,
FI

JJD952 - Speed
EDIT: 2015-05-22, added real data from new and used tire

Last edited:

BluePill

A few mentions of different timing maps in the stock FZ6R ECU for 1st and 2nd gear vs. 3rd through 6th gears. Has anyone actually Really confirmed this, or is it just an internet assumption?

Does anyone have hard data on this? I am considering a non-invasive work-around by modifying the speed sensor signal.

A few mentions of different timing maps in the stock FZ6R ECU for 1st and 2nd gear vs. 3rd through 6th gears. Has anyone actually Really confirmed this, or is it just an internet assumption?

Does anyone have hard data on this? I am considering a non-invasive work-around by modifying the speed sensor signal.
That becomes complex if you want your speedo to report anything useful as the data to the gauge also carries data for the tach, CEL, odometer, etc. Perhaps run select switch? You can fake the ecu but it will feed that infor to the gauge....

For kicks unplug the speed sensor at the output shaft and go for spin. Ecu wont know what gear the bike is in. No clue what it defaults too timing wise.

True on the FZ6, not sure about these but they'd wheely if the timing was proper in 1st an 2nd.

Rumpig

How much did the ecu set you back? Been tossing up whether to get it or not

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I got the ecu for free with the throttle bodies and airbox. You'd need a 2008 FZ6 one , earlier ones have less pins. Can't guarantee it would work thou, was hoping to find out.

Rumpig

FZ6 ECU on your 6R? Timing maps, fuel maps, increased red-line, the US S1 2004 - 06, no O2 sensor. S2 group 07 - 09. These have an O2 sensor but the ECU doesn't trigger a CEL if O2 or AIS is disconnected.

Is your fuel pressure at 36 PSI? If so, sounds like the injectors and TB could just drop on. Otherwise you'd need an FZ6 P/R.

Rumpig, drilling a hole in your ecu to access specific data lines? How in the heck do you know where it is? I guess we'll find out!
There's info on the net for where to drill the hole and it's just a spare FZ6 ecu to play with. FZ6R runs 36psi and Sterlo has done the throttle body swap so we know it works.

Rumpig

I've peeked inside the ecu, more info to come but timing is really retarded in all gears being an entry level bike.

There's info on the net for where to drill the hole and it's just a spare FZ6 ecu to play with. FZ6R runs 36psi and Sterlo has done the throttle body swap so we know it works.

I recall posting an FZ6 ecu pinout for you. Have you compared pinouts and basic sensor PN/operating points, i.e. like ohms, volts, output? Maybe they can support a swap??? Crazy!

Dang - not sure where you found that info about drilling Mitsubishi ecu... You dig deep!

BluePill

That becomes complex if you want your speedo to report anything useful as the data to the gauge also carries data for the tach, CEL, odometer, etc. Perhaps run select switch? You can fake the ecu but it will feed that infor to the gauge....

For kicks unplug the speed sensor at the output shaft and go for spin. Ecu wont know what gear the bike is in. No clue what it defaults too timing wise.

True on the FZ6, not sure about these but they'd wheely if the timing was proper in 1st an 2nd.

Yup, idea is to switch in a 2x pulse multiplier with a handlebar switch for times when some extra power is desired. You know, like a drag race with a cage. Or tight twisties. Or wheelies.

Since it would be used only a fraction of a percent of the time, the odo would be barely effected, and the speedo error would be of no concern for short times also.

While thinking about this approach, I realized that guys who do major re-gearing may be shooting themselves in the foot as far as 3rd gear power. Running something like 15/50 might put the 3rd gear ratio at a point where the ECU sees it as second and keeps the timing back.

Maybe it's just time to trade up to an FZ1?

Or maybe more?

https://youtu.be/3eEB34tVvBc

Jump to 2:10 to skip the boring stuff.

Last edited:

^^^ best guess is holes are needed to connect the pins of the FZ6 ecu that are no-connects to allow read write flash... if there are other locations, no we talking needle in the hay stack as I never found threads on that ecu... most say it cant be done but ecunleashed has done them.