Changing the front wheel

NOLAstylee

Noob here. Just got my first bike (2010 fz6r) and after 2 days of riding, i picked up a nail in the front tire. Its flat. So i've googled and searched for a write up on how to change the front tire, and i havent found much. Can anyone point me in the direction of some detailed instructions? I dont know anything about motorcycles and my mechanic skills are lacking..

So i know i need to pick up a front stand, and i read something about difficulty removing the front axle. Any other tools i need to have before giving a crack at removing the tire? Any help is appreciated. I wasnt expecting to have these issues right out of the gate.. But i guess ish happens right?

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

HotSauce

you want a tripletree stand, something like this: Black Widow Triple-Tree Motorcycle Race Stand with 5 Pins : Amazon.com : Automotive

according to this chart, you need a 21mm pin, will prob. have to order it separate... Application Chart DMP Head Lift Stand Pins :: MotorcycleGear.com

this ia a good vid on how it works: MJ Moto Gear Front Stands - YouTube

also, when you put the tire back on, make sure it is in the right direction... don't guess on tread, look on the sidewall

An alternative to Dart's suggestion, if you have an exposed rafter in your garage, get a heavy-duty tie down strap, wrap it around the rafter and through the triple tree. You can then winch the front end of the bike off the ground (recommend using a rear stand first, this will keep the bike upright and stable).

When using a traditional front fork stand, the forks actually squeeze inwards towards each other once you remove the front axle. This makes getting the axle back in a huge pain in the *** Trust me because a few months ago I helped a friend put his front wheel back on his CBR 600; he insisted on using the front fork stand (I have no idea why, the guy's an engineer, but he must have failed structures), so we wrestled with the thing for a few hours before one of us ended up basically holding the front of the bike up by the handlebars while the other frantically hammered the axle into place....it wasn't fun and we almost dropped the bike.

Obviously the triple tree stand is a better option, but if you want something cheap, that's my offer. Good luck, take your time!

NOLAstylee

thanks for the info guys. I think I'm just going to load the bike up in one of our box trucks and take it over to the bike shop and let them take care of it. I'd only be saving 30 bucks by doing it myself. I think 30 bucks is worth not having to struggle with it.

i have a lot to learn obviously.

rhnatyk

thanks for the info guys. I think I'm just going to load the bike up in one of our box trucks and take it over to the bike shop and let them take care of it. I'd only be saving 30 bucks by doing it myself. I think 30 bucks is worth not having to struggle with it.

i have a lot to learn obviously.
Ha Ha ... funny how you can come to that conclusion after finding out how "easy" it is to do yourself. Not everyone enjoys working on their bikes (or cars) like I do.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

NOLAstylee

i just emptied my bank account on that bike. even had to cut into my rent $ which is coming up in a few days. glad i got my priorities straight :rolleyes:

hopefully i can get in some riding time, some knowledge, tools, and a few more paychecks before anything else goes wrong. or did i just jinx it?