CF Vinyl Wrap

MikeN02

Anyone used this? I'm about to order some to fix some rash on my fairings.
Carbon Fiber Film

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGwhosrmcbk&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - 3M CARBON FIBER DINOC SUZUKI GSXR600 MOTORCYLE TRANSFORMATION[/ame]

cimg4651.jpg

Anyone have any experience with vinyl work? Heard that it can peel if it isn't applied correctly etc. This install looks simple, plus if it wrinkles then you can just heat it up to straighten it out.

How much is that stuff and where do you get it?

Link is in top. How much it costs depends on how much you need. Sample is $8. I'm thinking of getting the 24"x48" for $60

Looks pretty sweet. I usually don't care for the carbon fiber look on cars, but on a bike it is just looks better. I could use some myself to patch a few rashes myself.

I've never tried it, but it doesn't look too hard to do, if you have some patients. I like the R6 you posted with it. Not too over done, just a little here and there.

mike, did you install rear-end sliders for your r6, and if so what do they look like? am just curious, cuz at the time i bought my bike the dealer told me the fz6r can't take rear slider, so that's y they couldn't put them on...

i have it on the back of my phone. its textured and has a 2 or 3 year exterior warranty.

its a pretty cool material but its still just a knockoff of the real thing :)

Of course it's a knock off, but it still looks better than the rash and scratches on my bike. I don't make enough money to spend on real carbon fiber pieces that are $100+ for one piece when I could be paying $100 for a roll of "fake" CF to hide the rashes and cracks.

mike, did you install rear-end sliders for your r6, and if so what do they look like? am just curious, cuz at the time i bought my bike the dealer told me the fz6r can't take rear slider, so that's y they couldn't put them on...

The spools? Yeah I did, they just look like a yoyo sticking out a little on the swing arm. FZ6-R can't take the sliders because there isn't a treading for it unless you drill and tap it. Another member on here put extenders or something on the axel so that they can put spools on there. Though you can use it for a spool stand when you do a chain clean, you can't do it to adjust the chain.

The spools? Yeah I did, they just look like a yoyo sticking out a little on the swing arm. FZ6-R can't take the sliders because there isn't a treading for it unless you drill and tap it. Another member on here put extenders or something on the axel so that they can put spools on there. Though you can use it for a spool stand when you do a chain clean, you can't do it to adjust the chain.

Here's the FZ6R spools:
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/swingarm-spools-16104/

Yeah I know what you mean, but I'm only getting it to cover my front fender and under tail. Then I'll get an actual cf seat cowl

Yeah I know what you mean, but I'm only getting it to cover my front fender and under tail. Then I'll get an actual cf seat cowl

That would look good. If you wrapped the whole bike in it...then your getting a little overboard. At that point, you might as well go to Autozone/Pepboys/Kragen and buy some of those stick-on fake chrome air scoops, curb feelers, couple spot lights, some Oakland Raiders stickers....you get the point. :D

That would look good. If you wrapped the whole bike in it...then your getting a little overboard. At that point, you might as well go to Autozone/Pepboys/Kragen and buy some of those stick-on fake chrome air scoops, curb feelers, couple spot lights, some Oakland Raiders stickers....you get the point. :D

HAHAHAHA....

:rof::rof::rof::rof::rof::rof:

Alright guys, I'm going to jump the gun and buy some of this stuff to wrap my rashed fairings. Figure it can't be worst than the way it looks now.

And also purchasing a bikebolt pack from bikebolts.com

Installation is always easier with 2 people if you have that option available. Buy a plastic squeegee and save yourself lots of time and headaches. Wrap one side of the squeegee with the soft side of Velcro, which helps eliminate scratching the wrap as you squeegee. Some of the higher quality wrap comes perforated, with non visibile air holes, to allow air to escape, and is UV laminated to prevent sun fading. Use a blow dryer on high heat instead of a heat gun. Heat guns can actually melt or thin the the material. Make sure you clean the surface well with something like a good citrus cleaner or alcohol first.

Ok so I got my fender done. Took my brother and I and I have to say it's a 8/10 of difficulty if you haven't ever worked with vinyl before like me. It's hard to get the vinyl on without creases or bubbles. Heat helps a lot! So since my brother worked with vinyl before I bribed him over and he had a hard time.

He said the stuff is good quality too, the fender being the hardest. He had to use it as 3 pieces, one on each side and another on top. So the pattern isn't matched but it still looks better than rash.

Used a blow dryer and exacto knife with a credit card an soft side Velcro on it. Finished it up by using a lighter and "melting" it a little.

Next up is my under tail

Ok so I got my fender done. Took my brother and I and I have to say it's a 8/10 of difficulty if you haven't ever worked with vinyl before like me. It's hard to get the vinyl on without creases or bubbles. Heat helps a lot! So since my brother worked with vinyl before I bribed him over and he had a hard time.

He said the stuff is good quality too, the fender being the hardest. He had to use it as 3 pieces, one on each side and another on top. So the pattern isn't matched but it still looks better than rash.

Used a blow dryer and exacto knife with a credit card an soft side Velcro on it. Finished it up by using a lighter and "melting" it a little.

Next up is my under tail

Sweet, but your being a newb... :needpics: I want to see your handi-work.:thumbup:

Posted when I was at work, finally got home. Uploading the pictures.... NOW!

First set was when I finally opened it, was at night in my room shipping was about 3 days!

Back