Carbon Fiber helmets

T

tikkitakki

I pulled the trigger tonite. Cost me $363.72
I ordered the Akuma in size medium. It will probably be a tad tight but then I don't like helmet movement. It is supposedly similar to a EXO 700 and I like that fit.
I hate size large in most all helmets because I can wiggle and jiggle the helmet a bit and don't mind the pressure of a well fitted racing helmet. For a trip of 100 miles I'd use my KYT Racing helmet brought back from Indonesia as it is a large but customized to a loose medium. It has the venting type found on the Icon Airframe which is thin ass external plastic frame that is easy to crack and it did..... I really like the genuine Transitions SOLFX brand photochromic visor installed as standard equipment on the Akuma and the claimed 1200 gram weight, chin curtain and looks, It is sleek.
I'll do a review when it comes in.
I just couldn't justify the $599.00 and up to $3995.00 helmets when they really don't provide any more protection than a $130.00 EXO 700 in a Fiberglass/Kevlar shell. In the crashes I've had, I have always kept the head up and out of harms way until I crashed my FZ6R and I scratched the graphics of the EXO 700 because it was so heavy.

I need a lighter helmet.;)

Now how the frick am I gonna justify this to the wife?
Where did you find that helmet at for that price? Does it fit true to size?
Thanks!

Spunky99

dcBear78

Was going to suggest RJays CFK-1.... A mate has one and it looks awesome. But as I opened their site I realised they are Aussie brand and you most likely do not get them. At A$319 that is bloody cheap for a helmet in Australia.

On a side note.... I am quite surprised by the amount of quality Aussie made bike gear there is. RJays and M2R. Wonder what else?

queenfz6r

Akuma Phantom II MFR Carbon Fiber DOT Certified Motorcycle Helmet - BUY NOW! - Akuma Helmets Sport Products at Jazzygear Sports (www.jazzygearsports.com)

3% off through May and free shipping.
Mine arrives on Tuesday. They say it is slightly tighter in size and I like a tight fit.
Hey Spunky,
does that helmet you got come with the Transition Lens visor that gets dark when you go outside? I thought that all of those akuma phantom helmets do, but the website says that it comes with clear only?
Thanks

Spunky99

Hey Spunky,
does that helmet you got come with the Transition Lens visor that gets dark when you go outside? I thought that all of those akuma phantom helmets do, but the website says that it comes with clear only?
Thanks
We will find out today. From what I understand, the clear visor is the Transitions and you can buy an optional smoke lens.
If it turns out it is just clear, I will be pissed as the Akuma website and everywhere else doesn't even have replacement Transitions visors.
I'll be wearing sunglass clipons on my glasses in that case.

I'll post an update on the visor when the helmet arrives this afternoon.
The only thing that scares me is going through dark tunnels from daylight with a dark tinted visor....same as I do now, slow down and lift the visor to see.....also there is only 1 freeway tunnel like that around here and I don't usually go that way.

Last edited:

Spunky99

I put it in the sun for 2 minutes and didn't notice any change in tint of the visor.
So I think it's safe to say it isn't the transitions face shield. It is polarized tho, I can see the weird coloring at an angle.

The digital mail room scale read 3.05 lbs or 1383.4567285 Grams
It's supposed to be 1367 grams so that's 16 grams difference on a scale that is not certified. Not bad as I hear the NEXT helmet is a lot heavier than advertised and maybe 5 ounces heavier than the Akuma when weighed.

Fit and finish is a 10.
It's rounder than the EXO 400/700 helmet so it's easier to get on and off.
The face shield to gasket fit is amazingly precise.
Vent openings are solid, at least as good as the EXO.
There is a nice almost flat area to mount my Contour video cam.
Plenty of room for for ear plugs with attenuators or earbudz or speakers.

Will ride with it tomorrow afternoon and see how it feels. Wearing it in the office for a couple of minutes it fits fine but I really need a longer time to see if there are any tight areas or hot spots. Also I really want to know how the ventilation works.

CrazyCawi

I put it in the sun for 2 minutes and didn't notice any change in tint of the visor.
So I think it's safe to say it isn't the transitions face shield. It is polarized tho, I can see the weird coloring at an angle.

The digital mail room scale read 3.05 lbs or 1383.4567285 Grams
It's supposed to be 1367 grams so that's 16 grams difference on a scale that is not certified. Not bad as I hear the NEXT helmet is a lot heavier than advertised and maybe 5 ounces heavier than the Akuma when weighed.

Fit and finish is a 10.
It's rounder than the EXO 400/700 helmet so it's easier to get on and off.
The face shield to gasket fit is amazingly precise.
Vent openings are solid, at least as good as the EXO.
There is a nice almost flat area to mount my Contour video cam.
Plenty of room for for ear plugs with attenuators or earbudz or speakers.

Will ride with it tomorrow afternoon and see how it feels. Wearing it in the office for a couple of minutes it fits fine but I really need a longer time to see if there are any tight areas or hot spots. Also I really want to know how the ventilation works.
hey silly billy pictures or it didnt happen

Spunky99

hey silly billy pictures or it didnt happen
Photobucket, youtube etc are blocked at work. I'll take a pic of it sitting on my 955i to prove it and upload after work.

Silly Billy....:spank:

CrazyCawi

gracias good sir

Spunky99

CrazyCawi

I moreso just want to see the quality of said helmet in true form not the marketing pictures in perfect lighting ect.

Spunky99

I moreso just want to see the quality of said helmet in true form not the marketing pictures in perfect lighting ect.
Actually it looks just like the marketing photos. The CF fiber weave doesn't stand out as much due to "normal lighting" under the florescent lighting here but all the rest looks great. I haven't found a single flaw yet but then it was on my head for all of 10 seconds so far and the comfort while wearing it is most important for some people. The fit and finish is perfect.
I'll still take some photos when I get home though and post them.

Spunky99

Here ya go. Any other pics you need let me know.

queenfz6r

Here ya go. Any other pics you need let me know.

Spunky,
Great pictures, that helmet is very pretty. Its a shame about the lack of the transition lens face shield tho.
It seems like the Transitions company only licenses their product to certain people at certain times. Right now Bell has one of the transition lens helmets and you can buy spare shields. I don't think Bell has any really nice carbon helmets like the akuma.

Spunky99

I don't know why those pics came out so orange. Only my Samsung Note does this. A regular digital cam shows RED...and in person the bike is almost Ferrari red like a Ducati. I thought it looked "different" but I hate orange bikes...LOL.

So YES...CF helmets go with any paint scheme...I am toying with the idea of adding some vinyl accents to the helmet since I have a cutter/plotter. Haven't figured out what I want tho. I have some white and metalic silver vinyl I can use. And I hate to put the helmet cam on it and destroy the aerodynamics and light weight. Hmmmmmmm

Spunky99

I've been using my EXO 700 for about a year now so I'll compare it to that.

Turning head from side to side results in some whistling in the vents at 40+ mph, straight on is nice and quiet. The EXO didn't whistle as much but isn't as quiet straight on either. This was with all the vents wide open.

The strap "D" rings are a bit larger on the EXO so some getting used to. Not any harder to get on or off, just different on the Akuma.

Breathing out the nose results in fogging of the visor when stopped. This was not an issue with the EXO in warm and sunny weather. The EXO fogged in cold mornings and took a while to clear. The Akuma clears almost instantly with the vents open and the volume of air flowing into the mouth and on top of the head is about double in the Akuma. I lift the visor one notch at a stop and no fogging at all where the EXO needed to be fully open. I don't know why the Akuma wants to fog a little when it shouldn't but as soon as you are moving at 2mph, it instantly clears. I removed the chin curtain to see if it made any difference and the difference was only slight.

The helmet fits different with the fit being around the top of the head and the front of the cheeks. The EXO was narrower and squeezed the sides of your head and the crown was harder with no padding and more cheek pressure. The Akuma didn't move at all on my head but I've only gone maybe 45 mph so far. I'll hit the freeway for a drag race on the way home and see how it does at 80 mph.

It an eye catcher and I see a lot of people looking at the helmet as I walk with it on or carry it and I've gotten several compliments already.

The visor works great, you can't tell if it's open or closed as it is visually neutral. The latch works perfect and it seals perfectly. No air noise in the visor at all. The EXO was a tad loose and clunky opening and closing and I broke 3 plastic screws on the right side over the year due to the latch sticking.

It is so light, it feels like a bicycle helmet and the amount of air moving on top is incredible. It feels so light, it feels almost cheap and thin like a toy helmet but it is very nice inside and there is no weight strain on the neck.
We will see how aerodynamic it is on the freeway after work.

So it tends to fog with the visor closed at a stop but has massive airflow from very slow speeds to high speed and the visor clears almost instantly if fogged. Absolutely no fogging when moving. It's comfortable and light.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Saxon237

I know I'm looking at one of the Bell RS-1's...not carbon fiber, but relatively light (75g, or 2.64oz, heavier than the Star Carbon) and pretty sure it meets both DOT and Snell qualifications.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member