Can't get over this FEAR

DakinechicK

As some of you may remember, the day I went to trade my FZ6r in, a guy ran into the back of me throwing me over the handlebars and leaving my bike not much to be desired. :mad:

Anyway, I rode my new bike all through the summer and all was good.

Then, came winter and the bike was put up until spring. Now, here we are with beautiful weather and I am afraid to get back on my bike as thoughts of that wreck weigh heavily in my mind. SuCKS!!! I'm terrified when I ride now. I will ride for short distances and that's it. I've been riding for over 10 years and nothing has bothered me about riding until now. ???
I'm at a loss at how to get over this. I get real uneasy and shaky just sitting on my bike or even riding in the neighborhood.

At this point, I am sad and kind of overwhelmed. I love riding.... so what the hell ???

Parcho

Same thing happened to me with BMX. I had a wicked wreck on a half pipe and was never able to do any jumps again, even small jumps got me all shakey. I had done it for over 10 years as well. I ended up switching to flatland.

I wish I had tips or whatever to get over it, but its something that is almost a primal reaction. At least you can ride short distances... just keep it up and eventually it will fade maybe?

shocker35

I know how you feel, I just wrecked a few weeks ago. i just got my bike back together last night and took it for a ride and felt weird on it. I know it's easier said than done but I just got one and just opened it right back up. I figure it will be like how it was when i first started riding and I was nervous the first few times I go out but it will fade the more I go out. Good luck and stay upright.

MustGoFaster

Wow that friggin' blows! Especially on trade-in day. Me and an ex went down on my old honda about 3-4 years back and got banged up pretty good. Nothing broken, but the entire right side of my leg from the hip down was one giant bruise. I rode it home right after the accident when we got out of the hospital as it was parked in a lot by Walgreens. (Thankfully the endorphines were still body rockin'! :D)

I didn't ride for 2 weeks, or even start her up, as I was walking with quite the proverbial "gangsta lean". Finally I felt solid enough to give it a go. I fired it up and just kinda stood there and stared, as I was pretty nervous, thinking, "Well, I either get on now, or I punk out and I prolly won't ride like I used to anymore." A few minutes later I strapped on the helmet and away we went. ;)

I think we all grow desensitized to how dangerous riding can be until something happens, either to us or someone we know. (Like CC's friend, in this case. I really hope it turns out ok for him.) Lord knows I hop on the rocket and fly-off like it ain't no thang nearly everday. Every once in awhile I'll think while I'm riding, "Gee, if I wrecked going 93, I'd get *really* messed up." But that's the extent of it.

Anyways, my advice to you is, decide how much you really love it. Understand that we *do* risk our lives everytime we fire it up. We also risk our lives everyday we wake up, just by being alive. I'm a "live-in-the-now" kinda guy, for better or worse, that's why I chose what I did.

No matter what you choose, good luck! :thumbup:

Detrich

i've heard from friends who've crashed at the track that it's the same way for them too. after a big fall it takes a lotta time to find the confidence again. i dunno how the motogp riders just jump back on and go 200MPH again. i guess it's a mental game more than anything else.

just keep at it dakine... and, over time you'll re-gain your confidence again. :)

i think it will help if u find fun, safe locations to ride- with less traffic. i was bumped from the rear b4 too stopped at a red light, and i hated that experience. i guess i just blame it on that driver and try to be careful when i'm waiting at red lights now.

DavidB455

Find people to go out with. When i went down not christmas there but 2 days before the one before that i was a bit of a mess. I still can't lean as far as I used to. Just practice and pushing through is my advice

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

6R Blackout

Well Dak, we all get "gun shy" for one reason or another, that being said best this you can do "in my opinion", is get back on and grab the bull by the horns girl and you let it know who is boss! Find you a back road or a place where there is no traffic and you ride, ride it like you stole it, carefully though and get that feeling back that you had before!
The worst thing you can do is get on it and ride it if you are scared cause that's when something will happen! Don't ride your bike cautiously ride that bike aggressively! You can do it girl, you have a whole bunch of support behind you here on this forum. Ultimately you have to do what you feel is best for you so really just go with what your heart says!!!

We love you girl, you'll make the best choice for yourself! Just don't give up on riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear about the uneasiness.

Here's my recommendation (if you aren't doing it already). Before you ride, just sit on the bike and spend some time visualizing the perfect ride. Clear roads, great weather, no traffic....imagine what the perfect ride would be. Focus on the sights, sounds, smells, the feel of the wind, the sound of your bike. Do this to clear your mind and focus your attention away from the accident last year.

Then, when you are ready to ride, don't do it alone. Take a person or two with you and start out with short rides. Make sure these rides are purpose driven. For example, get a couple riders to go to a movie, or run up to the gas station for a bag of chips and a soda (or any other comfort-type food). In other words, make it a pleasure trip so that you can associate good times and memories again with riding. Plus, you'll have strength in numbers, which may help ease your concerns about riding again.

Just take it slow, and remember why we all love riding in the first place. You'll get back in the saddle soon enough. Don't rush it, and the joy and freedom of riding will come back to you.

DragonBlu

I'm a simple man, so I see it simple. You can either quit riding or you can put on your big girl pants and say to yourself,It's not my fault that asshole hit me and I am going to put it in the past and enjoy riding. Sincerely girl all the best to you and be tough! It does get better with time, but it hurts for a little while.

Flipflash

Elite Member

KeysRider3

Fear isn't always a bad thing. It keeps us from doing stuff that we shouldn't. A healthy fear of dumba**es in cages will make you a better rider. Through no fault of your own you got whacked, and from behind. I've not been hit from behind, but every time I stop I'm looking in my mirror more than I'm looking ahead, and "flashing" my brake light until I know the vehicle behind me has stopped. I also make sure I've stopped in a position where I can move forward, or to the side if I even think someone's coming up behind me too fast.
As for me, I would be more comfortable going solo, so I didn't have to worry about "riding someone else's bike" (keeping up with another rider who's taken the lead). Short rides, long rides, it doesn't matter. Every ride you take will help to tame the anxiety you feel, and restore your love for the ride. Do it dakine!

FazerWest

I think I can help you my story of riding and how I got into it is very different my hubby and I traded in our 03 fz1 sept 2008 for a 04 yamaha venture thinking it would be safer (he had been riding for 4 yrs) and we wanted to take a 1000 mile trip long story short 1 month later we were coming home from dinner patrick driving and me on the back just cruising at 50mph in the fast lane on a street we had been on 300 times a guy is at a median to turn left across traffic he pulled forward (patrick had slowed already in case) the guy stopped as if he saw us so we regained some speed then wham he pulls out and stops in our lane giving us 20ft to stop well we couldn't because as we were fishtailing around the front. Of his car he tried to reverse but gassed it instead it shattered my lower left leg I couldn't walk for 7 months I had 2 surgeries which I now have 2 plates and 18 screws in my leg (patrick was ok minus some roadrash and a ding where car hit his shin too) but it took me a whole yr to get back to normal when we finally moved back to vegas I had a lot of ptsd even in a car I was terrified everyone was going to tbone us! So I took the MSF I had to conquer what hurt me I had to gain control back and it worked!! And last month I bought my first bike! I really think to regain your confidence take the msf class again and refresh your brain! I had never ridden a bike before our accident and I don't regret the accident because it made me realize what is important in life and to never take anything for granted! You can do it you just need that confidence back life is too short! Do what makes you happy! Good luck hun!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

See red

I got smacked by a pickup in the back by mirrors with extensions 6 years ago. I ended up just taking a trip, I went from Chicago to Boston, then over t New Orleans, on the way I got reaquainted with riding, and also realised I enjoyed it different. I slowed down, enjoyed the ride instead of the road and a few glimpses of those perfect turns we all find. This was different by the realisation that I stopped more, saw more, and just toured. I really loved the scenes, cared more about relaxing at a tiny town with coffee chatting with folks, and just kind of re invented my riding style.

You will just get on with your riding, change your style, or surrender to fear.
You are the only one who can decide. I hope you get back on but if you hang up your jacket, don't feel like you lost something, you just traded it for something new.

Andy

Time heals all wounds. Long story short. About 10 years ago I bought my first bike. CBR 600 f4 Yellow and black. Atvs only bikes ridden before. Riding with a group of bikes. Rode over my head blew a corner over 60 mph hit a 67 chevy chevelle head on. Totaled both bike and car. Smashed the boys on the tank hard enough to break pelvic bone and dislocate and break r/h wrist. had pins and external fixator. 6-8 weeks on couch. Use to see it when I closed my eyes to lay down. Thought I would never ride again. Last year my 18 year old son bought a ninja 250 to start on. The sights and sounds got me intersted again. I rode his just to see how it would be meeting a car on the road. All good. I bought my leftover 2009 fz6r March 7th. The first place me and the boy rode was down the road I wiped out on. I havent forgot it, but I dont let it own me. You can get past it. Wear your gear and ride safe.

Last edited:

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member