Brand New Exhaust Mod

shooter77_98

I have surfed this site and seen alot of cool exhaust mods, so when you check mine out, just know that I got alot of ideas from everyone on here. I am asking everyone to go to my profile and check out my latest exhaust mod. I took a stock exhaust and modded it out. I built from scratch a system from the cat converter back. I spent around 30 bucks total at Pep Boys in the exhaust section. I want to thank Hunter77 for hooking me up with an extra stock exhaust...I couldn't have done this had you not been so generous...Thanks again man.

Please reply to this thread and I welcome all comments whether good or bad. I would love to hear what all of you think.

Oh yea, when you view the pics, I downloaded them backwards so make sure you are viewing them in numerical order(start with the cut open box and work your way to the hanger assembly)

joloy133

Nice Job. You need to find your new baseline with this mod.........before you re-tune. How's it running now?

shooter77_98

Just took it for the first test ride. It put out a little bit of smoke while it was warming up, but then the smoke stopped after it was warm. What do you think this is?

Maybe the loudness was messing with me, but it seemed to run just the same(when its louder it seems faster). My biggest goal was to make it loud without it sounding like garbage(250cc with an aluminum can for an exhaust). It is definitely loud...period. All I have to compare it to is my FZ1 with a DanMoto slipon...which is no real comparison.

I will be taking it out on a longer ride than the 15 minute test ride later and I will post the results after.

Superfly

thats prob just some water vapour on start up. Mine is white for a few mins till it heats up. I wouldnt sweat it. I liked the sound!!! Good JOB!!!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

shooter77_98

Well finally took it out for about 150 miles. Ran really good and has an outstanding exhaust note at the upper rpms(6-9 thousand). The ole lady really enjoys it. She feels much safer on it now.

CDN6R

Ole Lady? Man you must have bigger stones than me! If my wife saw Ole lady I am sure she would hang me up by my #@#^s! :eek: BTW just wondering are you (Shooter) related to Hunter and born the same year? (77) :justkidding:

Y

yellowfz

Good job :thumbup:, yeah the smoke is water , guess we didn't see with the original canister because of the design of the baffles .
Reducers from a Automotive Store and a little pipe anyone and can make a slip-on , canister , baffle , straight through exhaust for very little investment .

Just curious why you left part of the CAT ?

Last edited by a moderator:

CDN6R

Just curious why you left part of the CAT ? Perhaps it was left because the OP did not want it so loud? Or maybe so that there would be less chance of 'poppiing" on deceleration? (just guessing)

shooter77_98

I kept part of the cat because I didn't want it to sound like I had installed a soda can for an exhaust...not sure how exactly a soda can would sound...just was playing it safe. I did install the headers with just the cat still on and started it up just to see what it sounded like, and it was horrible like a mix between a two stroke dirtbike and a hunting fourwheeler with a weird echo(hard to explain). As far as the gargling when slowing down, I guess that leaving as much of the cat as I did on it helped with that...really don't get alot of that popping.

Me and the "ole lady" joke around all the time about the terms that most people would get in "trouble" about. I am in the military...she has heard alot worse come out of my mouth. LOL!!!

clifford_05

Sounds good I think. Especially for what you got invested into it. How much louder would you say it is? I know its hard to really judge how loud an exhaust is over the internet cause the camera isnt gonna give you the full effect in my opinion.
How much time did it take you from start to finish of actual working to get it done. Cause Im sure if you had to make an trips to pep boys would obviously add some time to the process, lol. Curious on a little more info on this setup

mtp

Good job keeping the cat. There's no reason a performance exhaust can't include being environmentally friendly.

shooter77_98

I would say that all together working on this, including about 50 million trips to Pep Boys...about a week. I was only able to work on it for a couple hours a day. Had I known exactly what I wanted to do from the start, it might have only taken me about 6-7 hours and 1 trip to the store. Alot of my time was sitting and staring at the darn bike thinking of different ways to do it. If I had to build this exact one again, knowing exactly how to do it, I could be done completely in about a good day.

As far as how loud it is...VERY LOUD. At first it seemed to be almost annoying loud, but after a couple hundred miles on it, it has settled down to a very nice sounding "loud". Lets just say that I don't make it a habit to ride on the right of the ole lady while we are cruising down the road.