Boots: shifter positioning

Pinarello Rider

I have a pair of Redwing waterproof steel toe boots that I love- wore them on my Harley as riding boots and they worked great. Now that I have the FZ6r, I'm finding it hard to get my toe under the shifter - the toe box is pretty big. Can the shifter position be changed at all? I'd like to move it skyward so slipping my toe under is a more natural position.

Thanks!

Yeah there is a adjustment nut on the linkage, Search around a bit. While redwings are prob one of the best work boots, they weren't designed for motorcycles. Besides the ergonomics, work boots lack adequate ankle protection. Pick of a inexpensive pair of MC boots/shoes and save your expensive redwings for the job they were intended for. Your feet will thank you.

Motorcycle Boots - RevZilla

Pinarello Rider

Thanks Eastbay - I did some searching on the site last night and found a mention of it. I'll see what I can figure out this weekend. I really don't want to throw more money down right now on boots when the ones are have a very good. I need pants more...

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

abyss1406

I have some bilt boots too, and i got used to it afterwhile, no problems finding the shifter. I did at first because the boots were stiff, but now i shift like a champ.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

MaximumHP

This is kind of an aside, but I have to wear the same boots all the time when I ride, it throws me off to go from boots to sneakers or something. Not that I can't do it, just feels like I'm a noob at shifting with something different.

I really need to get some motorcycle boots too, but a watchout is a lot of so called "motorcycle" shoes or boots don't provide significant protection. Personally I don't see the point unless you get the protection. I'd want malleolus protection at a minimum and some kind of lateral and longitudinal support would be best.

Pinarello Rider

This is kind of an aside, but I have to wear the same boots all the time when I ride, it throws me off to go from boots to sneakers or something. Not that I can't do it, just feels like I'm a noob at shifting with something different.

I really need to get some motorcycle boots too, but a watchout is a lot of so called "motorcycle" shoes or boots don't provide significant protection. Personally I don't see the point unless you get the protection. I'd want malleolus protection at a minimum and some kind of lateral and longitudinal support would be best.
I just wear thick socks.

I kid! I kid!

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

cdsdave

I have boots I love for my KLX dirt bike but I can't shift the 6r at all with them on no matter how high I adjust the shifter. A thick sole boot with a big toe box didn't work for me. Still looking for the right boots for the 6r.

THill

boots

Tourmaster makes a good pair of riding boots. I have had a pair for over year and I also had to raise my R6 & FJR shifter up just a little , it is very easy to do.....

Cerebus

I changed my shifter last night, raised it one notch and it made a significant difference. Much easier to get my toe under the lever. No difference in shift feel, going up or down.

Pinarello Rider

I think I'm missing something. I looked at the shifter lever and it looks like if I move the lever, it moves the whole shift linkage at the same time. Do I have to mess with the connecting rod and the rod end bearings too? What am I missing?

I had a great ride this evening - the wife gave me a hall pass for an hour so I hit the road. Getting used to the new shifting position and I'm not messing up as much as the first time out. Would still prefer to change the shifter position, but it's not as critical as I first thought. Gotta remember to clean the face shield...

mdgreene2001

Joe Rocket super street boots, live um,wear um, love um.

I also have those but not a fan of the velcro ankles it keeps coming undone. I will not be buying these again...

mdgreene2001

Your boots will also eventually wear down the rubber on the shifter. Mine began getting noticable after around 8k. Now goes under easily also, besides learning to tip the foot a little. Be careful if you raise it that you dont raise too much and cause problems with foot position for down shifting then too.

Mines worn out at 6k and I hate the stock controls I'm saving for valter 3.5 rear sets

Valter Moto Type 3.5 Adjustable Rearsets for Yamaha FZ6R (XJ6), PJ's Parts

I was looking at the Cortech Latigo but ended up getting a similar Sedici boot on clearance stupid cheap.

I have the latigo in both the perfs for the summer, and waterproof for winter. They are amazing for the price. Maybe quality control isnt the best but for about 150, its and AMAZING race boot.

I also have the ICON run with the bulls for casual. They are OK however, the soles are too cheesy and are worn out. I'm going to purchase the ICON 1000's truant or something like that. My buddy has them and they are way more study, and look real good with a pair of MC jeans

Cerebus

I think I'm missing something. I looked at the shifter lever and it looks like if I move the lever, it moves the whole shift linkage at the same time. Do I have to mess with the connecting rod and the rod end bearings too? What am I missing?
In my layman, semi-only-slightly-mechanically-inclined terms:

You adjust where the linkage connects to the bike (at the trans??) There's a hex bolt that connects the linkage to a star shaped connector. Remove the hex, pull the linkage off, and move to desired position. I only had to move mine one "notch" on the star connector and it made a significant difference.