Bobski's $200 comfort seat mod

bobski

After researching what size/shape characteristics are supposed to make a bike seat comfortable I had a local upholsterer do a seat mod to my specifications: reduce/eliminate forward slope of seat (ball breaker) by adding adding 1" padding at front of seat and tapering back to 0" at the back of the seat; add width in the sitting area to increase area to distribute weight on; remove 'crown' and make seat top flat for better weight distribution; add gel insert in sitting area with insulation layer to prevent/reduce heat build up; add 2" soft 'relief channel' (softer foam inserted) down middle of seat from back edge to about 5" from front to provide cushion for perineal area. See photos below. I'll post a review when I've had a chance to take it on a nice long ride. Cheers :)

Attachments

danieljardim

After researching what size/shape characteristics are supposed to make a bike seat comfortable I had a local upholsterer do a seat mod to my specifications: reduce/eliminate forward slope of seat (ball breaker) by adding adding 1" padding at front of seat and tapering back to 0" at the back of the seat; add width in the sitting area to increase area to distribute weight on; remove 'crown' and make seat top flat for better weight distribution; add gel insert in sitting area with insulation layer to prevent/reduce heat build up; add 2" soft 'relief channel' (softer foam inserted) down middle of seat from back edge to about 5" from front to provide cushion for perineal area. See photos below. I'll post a review when I've had a chance to take it on a nice long ride. Cheers :)
Looks comfortable but cosmetically I didn't like it.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Looks a lot like the seat design that stuna had put on his bike years ago. Interested to know total cost and how you like it after a few miles.

bobski

Looks a lot like the seat design that stuna had put on his bike years ago. Interested to know total cost and how you like it after a few miles.
Yes it did end up looking somewhat similar to stuna's seat, but that was just a function of building it to the specifications and that's how it ended up, interesting. All in cost for materials, labour including the fitted stiched cover, and taxes was $200. I got to check the 'fit' on the bike at the rough foam stage shown in the pics (sit on test), provided a little feedback for refinements, then back to upholsterer to add gel and final grinding/shaping of the foam and covering. Took seat to him on Friday, checked on Monday, picked up finished product today Wednesday! I actually think it looks really good on the bike. If it's long range comfort matches my satisfaction with it's looks I'll be a happy camper. I will post a review after sufficient longer rides.

Nyuu

Interested to know how it feels as well. Very nice.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member