BMW S1000 on hold

Spunky99

I just got a call about a quote I asked for and he said all the BMW S1000 bikes are on hold. No dealer in the US can sell one. He had no idea why but this bites into the peak selling season for sure.

bmw675

Thats odd. They have one down the street from my work. I might be nosy and go see what kind of story they give me.

Spunky99

You can still do a demo ride

Detrich

Serious safety defect maybe? Weied

JSP

Super Moderator
From BMW USA facebook profile:

"BMW has issued a delivery hold and is recalling 1,414 2012 model year BMW S1000 RR motorcycles to inspect and correct a potential problem with loosening of the connecting rod bolts. As a result of a manufacturing process error, the bolts could loosen and fall out. If this happens, the engine may fail, seize, and/or leak oil. Approximately 900 of the affected motorcycles are still in BMW or dealer inventory and will be inspected and corrected prior to customer delivery. Owners of potentially affected motorcycles will be notified by mail in May advising them to bring their motorcycles to an authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer to have the recall performed. The connecting rod bolts will be replaced and installed with a thread locking agent."

Click....Clank....BOOM....

CrazyCawi

This is what I have read on my other forums

The culprit is connecting rod bolts that must be replaced on bike with certain "TBD" VIN's. This one ain't going to be quick because it involves splitting the case, so I'm told. It is a worldwide issue and not just limited to North America. Dealers are talking. Kind of reminds me of a problem and the Lycoming Engine remanufacture facility a few years back when a bunch of non- PAA approved bolts found thee way into the rebuild parts bin.

Spunky99

Jeepers Creepers.....that's gonna cost a freaking fortune.
Correct me if I'm wrong but that will require an engine removal to take off the bottom pan to get to the lower rod bearings. Or are they talking about the piston end? Either way...remove engine and tear it down.
I think I'll stick to a CBR 1000 RR or an R1......

From BMW USA facebook profile:

"BMW has issued a delivery hold and is recalling 1,414 2012 model year BMW S1000 RR motorcycles to inspect and correct a potential problem with loosening of the connecting rod bolts. As a result of a manufacturing process error, the bolts could loosen and fall out. If this happens, the engine may fail, seize, and/or leak oil. Approximately 900 of the affected motorcycles are still in BMW or dealer inventory and will be inspected and corrected prior to customer delivery. Owners of potentially affected motorcycles will be notified by mail in May advising them to bring their motorcycles to an authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer to have the recall performed. The connecting rod bolts will be replaced and installed with a thread locking agent."

Click....Clank....BOOM....

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

CrazyCawi

They are talking about the biggest headache they could have.
Youd think bye now the oil pan would give access to the bottom end these days.
Cannondale was using a cassette style transmission a decade ago.
Its hard for me to beleive nobodies figured out how to make the cases split horizontal so that the bottom end can be inspected/serviced
usually the cost is for the owner not the manufacturer ;) which is why they probably havent changed it lol

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Cmltoe

Score one for us then lol, just kidding, didnt a guy from here just get one of these things?
Der petrol might leak from der wunderbike
Yes but that guy got a brand new 2011!:D

This story has been the only topic on the s100rr forum for about 4 days. Lots of pssd off folks. Some of the guys already bought the bike but the dealers aren't allowed to deliver them. I would be pissed beyond belief! I still remember how I had to lean on all of you for emotional support when the FZ6R was in for an oil change and I thought 5 days without my bike was too long.

I can't imagine what these guys are going through.

Spunky99

Fizzer6R

those crazy Germans!... wait, where are these built?

Detrich

BMW has these types of recalls in their cars too. And usually it's nothing and only a tiny % of vehicles that actually are affected. All car manufacturers have these types of slip ups. The recall is to ensure public safety.

If even one of those S1000RR bikes seizes and then hockey pucks into a pedestrian or kid playing in the street or grandma walking her dog, then BMW would lose a lot more $ & "good will" over the the negative publicity & witch hunt that would ensue afterwards. "think Toyota"

Either way, it's the responsible & right thing to do. Frustrating yes. Safety first.

Spunky99

Usually it's not a complete engine teardown tho......

They lubricated the gas pedal for Toyota and then played with the computer.
Then they played with the brake system...idiots didn't know where the problem was and it hurt them real bad.

Just sayin, I have no faith in a complete engine teardown at any dealership on a brand new or any motorcycle. No freaking way would I want one of those things! It's a grenade with the pin ready to fall out and can go off at any time with no warning.

In an engine manufacturing plant, the build area is a clean room and ISO 9000 standards are strictly enforced. A dealership, no matter how qualified the mechanic is cannot effectively create a clean room environment or do work in compliance to the ISO standards. It may as well be a backyard rebuild in Tijuana by Jose the shade tree mechanic....Believe me I know how this ends up. I've been stranded in middle of the Sea of Cortez when the Chevy 350 engine fails after the 4th rebuild by Jose who is certified....

Dust in an engine or any mistake in the rebuild process is a potential death sentence to the unlucky rider. A motorcycle engine has to be built to standards in line with a single engine airplane. There is no room for mistakes or contamination when built. Failure is not an option and seizing is a big problem.

CrazyCawi

what happens if an engine seizes while riding?

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member