bloody wombats

whittaker

g'day fellas.
2 hours ago i had the misfortune of a wombat intercepting me through a corner sliding me into the corner on a 2181 km fz "sally" i'll post some pictures once my adrenaline stops surging, i don't want to claim insurance and have my bike claimed as a write off so my question to you is where can i buy some factory parts i will list some parts but it looks to be cosmetic as far as i can see.
from first inspection i need a new tank, left side and front fairing and a set of bars (i have heard that fz1?? bars will fit and be better for touring? or something along those lines).
i'm trying to be positive because well lets face it if im not i will just be wasting time.

whittaker

hell for the late night rural rider ill tell you that much i once hit one an old school cruiser... the only and hopefully last time i get that thing on the back wheel. ha

BoneJj

2181 km fz "sally"
Are you trying to say you only have 2181kms on your FZ-6? Is that what that's supposed to mean?

BoneJj

here is some pictures if anyone wanted to have a look at a bit of wreck
damn dude, that's a hell of a lot of damage. Take replacement, brackets for the headlight/cowl I take it all new panels unless you plan on going naked from now on...

IDK man, looks like it would be a lot easier to just total the bike and replace it. That's going to be a lot of work man!

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

whittaker

cheers guys i've looked up some oem parts and it doesn't look like its going to cost over 3k to get it a nice fix i have a bunch of motorcycle mechanics in my family so hopefully a bit of help may come my way but here is hoping i don't have to wreck it's only done 2000k's so i really would like a bit of a rebuild had a few people say that not all hope is lost with it,
but i just need to find a place to ship parts to aus and i'm just kind of taking this as a bit of a blessing now that it's in bits i can put some aftermarket on while it's naked.

whittaker

just a bit of an update bodged it up so it will be rideable in the not too distant future, looks a lot better with a good wash down next step is trying to restore some beauty.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

whittaker

thanks nasty butler i made a lot of head way today i actually found a lot of good places to get some OEM parts and some aftermarket fairings that won't break the bank so i will post in some links so we can all benefit from my misfortunes

Bert-Aus

Wombles lucky he didn't stick around for you to get revenge!

Mate, get it looked over by a repairer through your insurance at least for a quote. You never know how much it will be until to cost it both ways -and at the end of the day what do you pay insurance for? may as well use when you need to.

As far as repalcment parts go just ask the repairer to order the parts/ mods your after in replacement for the OEM.

Glad to hear your ok though, I've gone over wombats in a 4wd - I had to peel myself off the ceiling it bumped me so hard!

FastFreddy

You definitely don't want to hit a wombat, they are just a fraction smaller than a wild pig. I've seen them jump 8-12 ft, she mustn't have heard you or it didn't register quick enough.

I've used partshark before and rocky mountain ATV in Canada.
Revzilla send to Australia too.

I remember paying $80 for the plastic nostril surround at a local dealer, then I saw they were $40 for the complete side inlet trim online later. Same with panels, in the dealer they say "ohhh, a side fairing will be over $1000", when online $345. Its a complete jip, $1000+ quote for a side fairing, they've got their hand on it and are dreaming.

FastFreddy

PartShark seems to be the cheapest online. (hopefully the politicians don't start charging GST on orders under $1000, which they were gasbagging about)

The damage doesn't look too good, but its not too bad either apart from the tank. I hope you are alright and your arm wasn't near the tank when that damage happened.

BoneJj

You definitely don't want to hit a wombat, they are just a fraction smaller than a wild pig. I've seen them jump 8-12 ft, she mustn't have heard you or it didn't register quick enough.

I've used partshark before and rocky mountain ATV in Canada.
Revzilla send to Australia too.

I remember paying $80 for the plastic nostril surround at a local dealer, then I saw they were $40 for the complete side inlet trim online later. Same with panels, in the dealer they say "ohhh, a side fairing will be over $1000", when online $345. Its a complete jip, $1000+ quote for a side fairing, they've got their hand on it and are dreaming.
IDK about saying wild pig size. Here in the states wild pigs are typically 300-400lbs while from what I've read about the wombats they only get to a max of a bout a 100lbs. That's a big difference.

Regardless if a redfox can destroy a bike at only 40mph then yeah, a wambat is like hitting a brick wall in comparison.

whittaker

last time i hit it i stayed on it with a fair bit of determination and the local firefighter station witnessing the accident cheering at me, my hand was under it for a while luckily i had my gloves and full gear i got hurt a bit i am going to get x rays tomorrow i have to grin and bear it for a little while because the doctors aren't open weekends and the hospital is four hours out. but a wise man once if your gonna be dumb you have got to be tough haha cheers i will get onto part shark straight away cheers for passing the knowledge =) wombats grow very large it's not the size of a pig more like a pitbull with more muscle and an extremely tough.... everything haha