Bike Dies when Put in Gear

dailordasailor

Thought with a new problem, I should start a new/cleaned up thread. If mods could delete old one id appreciate it.

Long story short, my bike lost all electric all of a sudden when driving and shut off. After checking bike over I found a couple blown fuses and the fact that my seat had rubbed through the main wiring harness shorting and cutting almost all the wires. Bike wouldn't restart. Had to unplug clutch lever sensor, put kickstand up, and then could jump starter with screwdriver. This got me home but bike would shut off every few miles and have to do again.

After help from this forum, I found my neutral safety switch was bad. Replaced with a buddies from his 07 R6 and bike starts up no problem. But now as soon as I kick it into gear it shuts off. Its like when you put the kickstand down in gear. Nice clean shut off...

I tried unplugging the clutch switch and putting kickstand up but no difference. Clearly I fried something else also but not sure what that could be. Anyone have suggestions? Way to bypass clutch/kickstand switch to check if its one of those?

Thanks,
Dale

taylorisking21

The kickstand switch on a bike is two wires, if you connect these two wires it bypasses the switch on the kickstand. Complete circuit!

dailordasailor

jumped the wires with no luck. traced it up under tank and tried jumping it at that connector with no luck. What else should i look at? Must have a fuse or a relay in line?

xinu

If you have a multi-meter put in ohms and check for continuity to ground on the switch wires you bypassed.

dailordasailor

In the middle of selling a house 12 hours away so this has taken a back burner unfortunately.

I took off the switch, checked it, etc. Checked ohms. Everything works how it should. I'm headed to garage shortly to see if I can jump bike the way I did when it firs died on me. Disconnect clutch switch, kickstand up, and because my neutral switch had failed, I'll unplug it as well. Won't tell me anything I don't think but I'm out of ideas.

When have in neutral, starts right up. Kick it into gear and it dies like something electrical is telling it to shut down