Best options for replacing front shocks and wheel?? :wreck:

tlsollen

So it happened... wrecked the FZ6R and now it is waiting on me to order parts :facepalm: Looks like the main fix is going to be a front wheel and forks... Online pricing through the local dealer is about $550 a piece for the wheel and each shock assembly. Wondering if anyone had any cheaper or better suggestions? If I have to spend that much I want to try to get something better than what was on originally. If I am using factory replacements I'd like to get them cheaper than the dealer (doesn't everybody :rolleyes:).... Maybe used?

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Michael Wilson

ebay. ive seen front rims for like $200ea and front shocks for about $300 including the triple tree

tlsollen

Couldn't find anything on eBay except a set of chromies... which I'm not really interested in lol. Did look up BikeBandit.com and found new factory parts for about $100/ea. less than dealer... Haven't had any luck finding junk yards but haven't spent a lot of time on that yet.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

tlsollen

Thanks for the link to StadiumYamaha.com.... cheapest factory parts so far. :thumbup: Don't have full coverage insurance on the bike due to crappy driving record, cheaper to fix the bike myself :rolleyes: :wtfgun: (full coverage quoted at at $3500-$4500/yr)

Sparkxx1

Thanks for the link to StadiumYamaha.com.... cheapest factory parts so far. :thumbup: Don't have full coverage insurance on the bike due to crappy driving record, cheaper to fix the bike myself :rolleyes: :wtfgun: (full coverage quoted at at $3500-$4500/yr)
Ouch, that blows! I have Theft and liability for 250$ a year. I'll be changing to full this summer. Since I was 21 when I bought the bike the insurance company quoted me 1,200 for full. Hey you should get some aftermarket parts if they're close to oem part price! It would make the wreck almost worth it =X

tlsollen

Yup. Everything comes out of pocket now :( That's what I would like is to find some better aftermarket parts for about the same price if I can... so far lowest factory price is about $380/ea for each fork and the wheel.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

bmw675

I may have missed it, but, what exactly is wrong with the forks? Do you have pictures of the extent of the damage?

tlsollen

I may have missed it, but, what exactly is wrong with the forks? Do you have pictures of the extent of the damage?
I'll have to see if I can get some pictures up this weekend sometime... The fork tubes are bent below the triple from the accident.

tlsollen

I definitely understand financial constraints, but I would buy the new rim and fork tubes. Then check out Racetech or so (and unfortunately put more $ into it) and get the better suspension. But maybe use their calculator first and see if your weight really needs a different spring rate first, then if not can save the $.
Here is what RaceTech is telling me... don't know enough to know if it is a big enough difference to spend much money on or not....

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.98 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Fork Spring Rate: .900 kg/mm(stock)

REAR SHOCK SPRINGS
Recommended Shock Spring Rate: 19.688 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Shock Spring Rate: 17.6 kg/mm (stock)