Autocross anyone?

Pinarello Rider

My true lifelong passion after sailing is motorsports. I had the PRIVILEDGE of going to Virginia International Raceway with my dad a couple of years ago for some education with the Ferrari Club of North Carolina. Dad has since passed, and I haven't driven in any performance manner since (I learned to save it for the track).

Just signed up for an Autocross on Sunday. I'll be in the NOVICE group as this is my first Autocross event.

Anyone else gone Autocrossing before? I learned my trip around the track in dad's car that my ego is best left at the gate, so aside from leaving that home, any advice? I'll be driving my DD - a 2012 Ford Focus Hatch 5sp.

Thanks!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Pinarello Rider

Thanks for the advice guys. As I'm only doing an AutoX this weekend (not a full track day), I decided to upgrade the brake pads to a high performance street pad - the HPS-Street pads. I put a set of track pads on my old Miata and decided they wouldn't be good for autocross - they took so long to heat up that leaving my neighborhood on a cool morning was an adventure. I was never quite sure when the car would actually stop. When they heated up though, holy stopping power Batman!!

I joined NASA and I'll see about a real track day in the fall. I love VIR so much, I am pissed it's going on 3 years since I've driven there. When I go, I'll definitely upgrade the brake fluid. I don't recall them requiring a change in coolant, though, when I went. I think that is probably for wheel to wheel racing.

roundhouse

I bought a set of used stock rims for my GTO. put on some bridgestone RE-01R tires for a autoX even with a friend. took it out to a local private airport to show off my skills.

I found I have none. it was a smokey, loud slow lap. GTOs are heavy. stock size tires have limited grip. HP is not the problem, throttle modulation is. I found I either want to be off or all the way on. never spun out but the fat butt swung out and hit many cones.

I got out and everybody was laughing. they were good hearted and gave me some good advice.went again and even though I never hit full throttle my time was 7 seconds faster. clutch was smoking badly

have not had a chance to go back. clutch is almost gone. 60 extra HP on a stock 9 year old clutch.................enough said.