Anyone Know Bulb Sizes?

rskinz6r

So im looking into just replacing all the bulbs to LEDs and also buying an LED signal relay but I cant find the #'s for the front turn signals, rear turn signals, and rear brake light (1157 i believe). If anyone can help it's be great!

edk442

just a question...why? whats the point in switching to LED's if you're not switching out the housings as well? theres no visual difference other than the missing money from your wallet

rskinz6r

lol im not really sure, cheaperi guess and i can leave everything oem. ive looked at LED turn signals but have no clue what size and diameter i need to fit through the front hole.

Roaddawg

If you search the forum for "turn signals" and other mods your thinking of, there's a bunch of threads that will, most likely, give you the answers your looking for. AND, you might find other ideas you hadn't thought of.

Personally, if your gonna put in LED bulbs in the OEM housings, your wasting your money. They won't be any brighter in the day time, probably worse.

FitZ6R

Stock bulbs are P21W (single filament) and P21/5W (dual). The more-common 1157 and 1156 are close enough substitutes.

However, as everyone has said, changing to LEDs in the stock signals (which are designed specifically for filament bulbs) will gain you nothing.

rskinz6r

cool thanks for the replies. Ill look into swapping signals instead. Do you all know if any turn signal will work? most just have a screw to hold it to the fairing and the back tail. I thought about flush mounts but would rather have them more visable

PuRpl3_Dr4nK

So im looking into just replacing all the bulbs to LEDs and also buying an LED signal relay but I cant find the #'s for the front turn signals, rear turn signals, and rear brake light (1157 i believe). If anyone can help it's be great!
Don't have an answer for you, but where in New Mexico are you? I'm in Alamogordo.

edk442

you can actually buy big flush mounts (i saw a pair at my local dealer that probably had the same surface area as the stocks and stuck out about an inch if not more. a matter of opinion if it makes the bike look better but complies with our local bylaw that turn signals must be a minimum size. seems like i just saw a picture within the last few days on this forum of someone who had some

toddjcruz

Has anyone switched out to the LED? My reason for doing it is for power savings. I run heated grips and a heated vest. No problems. But, I added heated pants just last weekend and after 30-40 mins of riding, I was starting to drain the battery. I'm pulling about 25-30 watts in excess of what the bike has. at 21W per rear turn signal (as they are on the whole time as running lights), switching them to LED (I think around 3W on the LED), I'm saving about 30-32W total just by doing that. Enough to solve my problem.

I'm not a fan of replacing the turn signals with an integrated one, as having the turn lights further apart is more of a visual indication of my intent to turn, and having the as running lights is a plug.

Not to mention, when I go an buy a used bike and the only mods I see are replaced turn lights, bar ends and mirrors, its usualy a good bet the bike was down. I love the "it just fell over in the driveway an that's why the forks are bent a bit" crap when I'm shopping for a used bike. LOL.

If anyone has used any of the replacement LED bulbs, or know the WATT usage of an all in 1 integrated LED tail/turn singnal kit, let me know.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member