Any thoughts on a bigger rear tire

Spunky99

One of the things I noticed when I got my Triumph is that the front tire is the same size as the FX6R (120/70). The rear is a 190/50 stock but my bike came with a 190/55 which is recommended by the other Daytona owners.
I'll be upgrading next month to a set of Dunlop Q2.

Last edited:

KeysRider3

Unless someone can find 20 Ponies somewhere I don't see the use of a wider tire. If you need more grip, get a sport tire and junk the Sport - Touring compound. Fine tune the suspension for your needs.
Marthy's spot on re change of composition instead of size. Contact patch has more to do with the tire's construction, temperature, and inflation rather than sheer size, and do you want really want the increased mass of a larger tire? Most of us are trying to reduce the weight of our bikes to achieve a greater power-to-weight ratio, and improve handling. Dual compound tires allow more tire to remain in contact with the pavement when leaned-over, and still give decent wear.

ocel

Marthy's spot on re change of composition instead of size. Contact patch has more to do with the tire's construction, temperature, and inflation rather than sheer size, and do you want really want the increased mass of a larger tire? Most of us are trying to reduce the weight of our bikes to achieve a greater power-to-weight ratio, and improve handling. Dual compound tires allow more tire to remain in contact with the pavement when leaned-over, and still give decent wear.
So. Our rear cn fix170/60? Without touching the swing arm

Chevyfazer

Because the FZ6 & The FZ6R are completely different bikes... The FZ6 has more power, differnt geometry, different weight distribution etcetera, etcetera.

The FZ6R (or XJ6 as I know it) is more compact, lighter than the FZ6.

The 160 tyre is perfectly suited, I believe.

Oh, and they're cheaper - let's not forget the price difference between the two bikes! ;)
Actually the original fz6 is 11lbs lighter and almost a 1" narrower with a taller seat so it feels bigger because of the seat hight but in reality they are almost identical dimensions wise, one just has 2000more smiles per min lol...... ok you can ban me now

Sander Koop

Elite Member

Chevyfazer

OK, I stand corrected... However, the most important argument still stands; the FZ6 is a fair bit pricier than the XJ6/FZ6R...
Do they still offer the fz6 new over there? I thought the 09 year model was the last year they made them, or at least it's like that in the states. Some dealers still have left overs but they are getting few and far between. In the states you can find a used low mile, good condition fz6 for anywhere between $2500-$5000 depending on the seller, but I'd say the average going price for one with under 10,000miles is about $3500

KSamra

I have the same question !?

Did u aredy put the 180s ?? I want to do the same, it will give me more wide turns.

I went to a bikeshop and they say it might fit. The problem is at the bikeshop the tire is too expensive. I need to order and I want to know before order. !!

RooKie

So, nobody has a picture of a 170/60-17 on XJ6/FZ6R? Please!
BUMP!

Come on peeps. I know at least one of you with 170/60's has a camera and internet connection. Sharing is carrying!

:needpics:

Bruno

As nobody shared a picture of a 170/60-17 tire on the FZ6R / XJ6, i ended up buying a 180/55-17 tire (PR2), since i only found the 170 on internet and had no idea how it would look on my bike! Here are some pictures for you. Of course, my bike is left one...

Cheers,

Bruno from Rio de Janeiro / Brasil

Attachments

RooKie

As nobody shared a picture of a 170/60-17 tire on the FZ6R / XJ6, i ended up buying a 180/55-17 tire (PR2), since i only found the 170 on internet and had no idea how it would look on my bike! Here are some pictures for you. Of course, my bike is left one...

Cheers,

Bruno from Rio de Janeiro / Brasil
Doesn't look much different than the 160/60. Do you notice any difference in how it handles? Diving into turns, grip on the road, any acceleration lag?

iSpoolin

Why are half the people in here saying that want a 170 or 180 rear tire for looks? Really. That's just as bad as buying an extended swingarm with a 220 mm rear tire or something LOL

The truth of the matter is, the FZ6R is DESIGNED around a 160 rear tire. Changing that is not going to make the bike happy without alot of suspension setup, etc etc

RooKie

I think that most people wanting a wider rear tire for looks are on the same boat as me. I bought the 6R because of its great price, ergonomics, AND super sexy bod ;). The looks of my ride are more important to me than actual performance, specially since most of my riding is done to and from work with 0 track action. I'm willing to sacrifice a small amount of performance for a better look. I'm sure there's many that wouldn't agree but we're all different.:cool:

Spunky99

If you are changing from a 160 to a 170 and staying with the same brand and model of tire, depending on the tire you might get a pinched tire and run taller as John Kerr stated with the result being that you have a smaller contact patch in a turn.

Different manufacturers and different models of tires have different geometrics.
So it is possible to get a wider tire without losing contact patch area but figuring out which tire will give you that will be difficult.

Has anyone tried a 160/larger yet? That is supposed to be a rounder profile.
The BT-023 has a 160/70 tire size.

The width and height of a tire does not determine it's shape and contact patch area per say and among the different tires, this changes a lot.

iSpoolin

I think that most people wanting a wider rear tire for looks are on the same boat as me. I bought the 6R because of its great price, ergonomics, AND super sexy bod ;). The looks of my ride are more important to me than actual performance, specially since most of my riding is done to and from work with 0 track action. I'm willing to sacrifice a small amount of performance for a better look. I'm sure there's many that wouldn't agree but we're all different.:cool:
Still sounds stupid to me. It's kind of a "ricer" (for lack of a better term) thing to do. It's like when somebody puts 10.5" wide wheels and 335 tires on a stock RWD car. It's trying to make something look more powerful, and more "bad ass" then it actually is.

Chevyfazer

I can understand doing it for looks because everyone likes differnt things, but for those that think it will help the handling is just silly

Bruno

Doesn't look much different than the 160/60. Do you notice any difference in how it handles? Diving into turns, grip on the road, any acceleration lag?
Say what you like, i feel my bike better on corners, better grip... Apart from that, it is just esthetics... The other bike on the picture is a BMW 800... With a stock 180/55-17...

iSpoolin

Say what you like, i feel my bike better on corners, better grip... Apart from that, it is just esthetics... The other bike on the picture is a BMW 800... With a stock 180/55-17...
I think it's in your head :p

porky45

It could also be the fact that they're better tires than stock, so they would have felt better regardless of if they're 160 or 180.