adjusting clutch lever

bmw675

i believe i need to adjust my clutch.
the lever doesn't come back all the way after a shift, sits open with a gap a little wider than a quarter is thick. plus my shifts are not as smooth as they once were. the barrel nut adjuster on the handlebars, will that help at all, i havent touched it and i have just over 2k miles. if so, which way and how much. im just trying to see if i can save a some time and money by not going back to the shop.

btw, i will also be changing the oil again at the same time.

JSP

Super Moderator
Crank that dial next to the lever. I of course cant remember which way is which. I like to have about a 1/4" of play in my lever. (measured from the end of the ball) If you have no play in the lever, it can slip the clutch while riding. Too much play in the lever and when you pull it in to shift, its like you are slipping the clutch and not fully engaging it.

Edit: I just re-read your post. Thought you meant the size of a quarter layed flat, not the thickness. That seems like a normal amount of play to me... mine will stay like that after a shift as well. You can tighten it up a little if you want, but you do need SOME play.

JSP

Super Moderator
Since you are changing the oil as well, make sure you check your chain slack. I would give it a really good cleaning/re-lube and then make sure it is in spec.

Measure the tightest part of the chain when you measure for slack.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Since you are changing the oil as well, make sure you check your chain slack. I would give it a really good cleaning/re-lube and then make sure it is in spec.

Aren't you supposed to measure the chain where there is the most play? :confused: That's how I do it.

bmw675

i did just take care of the chain adjustment about 500 miles ago. thats another issue in its own i need to figure out a solution too. and i measured from the tightest spot, i seem to have read that on here a few times as well.

it looks like i would need to adjust it towards me to take some slack out. ill play with it a little and see if it helps.

JSP

Super Moderator
Aren't you supposed to measure the chain where there is the most play? :confused: That's how I do it.
Nope... you need to measure it at its tightest point. If you measure it and adjust it from its loosest point then if you hit a bump or something that causes the chain to tighten up, the tightest point now will be REALLY tight and can cause a failure. So you want the tightest point of the chain to be in spec.

If you have great differences between your tight spot and your loose spot, the chain may be binding and might need replaced.

Now when you say "most play", do you mean the middle of the chain? Yes that is correct. The chain will have slight tighter sections in it though. So put it on the rear stand and slowly rotate the rear wheel. With your measuring device find the section of the chain that is tightest when it rotates around to the center. Dont try and do your measurement an inch from the sprocket, if that is what you are referring to. Sorry if that was confusing.

And your measurement needs to be from pushing the chain up and THEN down. Not just pushing one way or the other and measuring that difference.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, let's clarify this whole tightest part, most free play ordeal.

When adjusting the slack in the chain, you want to make your measurements where there is the most vertical movement or free play in the chain, which is theoretically in the middle of the two sprockets. However, you want to make those measurements in that location where the chain is the tightest. This is done by rotating the wheel until you find where the chain is taught.

I hope this makes more sense and clarifies the previous posts.

JSP

Super Moderator
Ok, let's clarify this whole tightest part, most free play ordeal.

When adjusting the slack in the chain, you want to make your measurements where there is the most vertical movement or free play in the chain, which is theoretically in the middle of the two sprockets. However, you want to make those measurements in that location where the chain is the tightest. This is done by rotating the wheel until you find where the chain is taught.

I hope this makes more sense and clarifies the previous posts.
Yeah what he said :D I can see how that would be pretty confusing... sorry.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:
Y

yellowfz

Wow , I just measure rim to wing arm distance on each side , if tire is true in swingarm it has to be with the World (way I have done it for years) .
The measuring devices on the bike is way off , wonder if you could just leave them off (or substitute a round washer) and use the slot in the swingarm and measure from nut center to slot end ?
You guys are way smarter than me . :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member