a late night clunk.

whittaker

G'day guys i just bought an fz6r for my p's in australia and the bike hasn't missed a beat well worth the money.
I was riding home about 12 am as i always do when i heard (felt) a clunk coming from the chain me being quite novice to chain bikes held the clutch in and slowed down, i inspected the chain but no problems could be seen except for a rubber seal caught in the chain.... i was curious if anyone else has had the same thing happen.
It's not leaking oil or anything sinister so i doubt pulling it apart is necessary yet but any input would be helpful i mean it is my birthday.

cheers.

Roaddawg

The chains are o-ring chains, so the rubber you see may be one from the chain. Sounds like time for a new one. How's the slack setting? Do you lube it regularly? How many miles do you have on it? The 'clunk' could have been the o-ring coming out and the links getting loose.

whittaker

It has done roughly 1800 kms, the chain slack doesn't look to be much of a concern at this point but what you said sounds about dead on.
I lubed it up after the 1k service, the only other thing that my have happened would be something flying up from the surface and breaking something but then again that theory may be a long shot.

cheers.

Roaddawg

With only 1800 km's, shouldn't be a problem with the chain, unless it's defective. Maybe just some road debris?? Idk.

FZ6Ryder

Agree with Roaddawg, check chain tension. Also check the chain guide for any imperfections/worn down areas. Sounds like you picked up some debris off the road.

anson650

A picture would be very helpful... Also even though you pulled the clutch in the chain still moves, where was it caught?
Check the chain tension and give it a good inspection.
Anson

whittaker

I ride on some pretty choppy roads out here and by the looks of the chain guard and debris by the sprocket i managed to kick up a rag into the chain and lose a rubber maybe a seal, today i noticed a very loud noise coming from under my left leg i suppose that would be a tension issue? thank you so much for the replies everyone most my life has been belt drives or shaft.
I was just wondering if anyone can say the best next step given my brief description i can post photos if necessary i'll go do the chain tension after the storm passes, the bikes is running fine now apart from the noise. cheers again guys you have all been very helpful

Roaddawg

I ride on some pretty choppy roads out here and by the looks of the chain guard and debris by the sprocket i managed to kick up a rag into the chain and lose a rubber maybe a seal, today i noticed a very loud noise coming from under my left leg i suppose that would be a tension issue? thank you so much for the replies everyone most my life has been belt drives or shaft.
I was just wondering if anyone can say the best next step given my brief description i can post photos if necessary i'll go do the chain tension after the storm passes, the bikes is running fine now apart from the noise. cheers again guys you have all been very helpful
I'd check the chain tension/slack BEFORE anymore riding. Don't ride it out to see if it gets better...it won't if it's not right. It takes a whole second to check if your chain is too loose or not. Lube it as well. Chains will naturally make some noise, especially compared to shaft or belt drives.

If you ran a rag up between the sprocket and chain, it may have caused the chain to stretch enough, which will require you to adjust the slack accordingly.

Bloke

I'd check the chain tension/slack BEFORE anymore riding. Don't ride it out to see if it gets better...it won't if it's not right. It takes a whole second to check if your chain is too loose or not. Lube it as well. Chains will naturally make some noise, especially compared to shaft or belt drives.

If you ran a rag up between the sprocket and chain, it may have caused the chain to stretch enough, which will require you to adjust the slack accordingly.
If you've lost an o-ring I'd replace the chain, it's not worth losing a leg over.

BoneJj

If you've lost an o-ring I'd replace the chain, it's not worth losing a leg over.
Or like has happened to another. The chain wrapped around the sprocket off the engine and cracked the transmission casing rendering his bike completely useless.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

whittaker

probably the safe bet bloke, i adjusted the tension and the noise is still quite distinct so ill re-lube in the morning and order myself a new chain.