A companion naked bike for my fz6r. Which one.

jocampo

1st, apologies if this is not the right forum, but I believe an fz6r forum is the right place for asking unbiased advice about other bikes brands.

Here's the thing, I am looking to get a second bike.The idea is keeping the fz6r for my wife (although real truth is that I just love the fz6r and don't want to sell) but at the same time, I want to able to find a second bike and ride with her.

I've narrowed the options to Ducati Monster 696 and Street Triple or Speed Triple. I just love the looks.

Now, I am very confused about the pros and cons of the Speed vs Street. Also, the advantages of getting a Triumph over the Ducati. I know Ducati is air cooled so that's kind of a drawback.

Please do not tell me go to the dealer and try. This would be my 4th motorcycle. I know trying a bike is the best way to check ergonomics. What I need is advice or comments about the following ...

-Torque and power curves (looking for something smooth like fz6r)
-Reliability
-Upright position
-Cost of maintenance

Based on initial comments about fellow riders is when I start checking on dealers myself, without hearing all the BS that the sales guy will start spitting from his mouth ... lol ...

Any comment or advice is very appreciated...

CrazyCawi

1st, apologies if this is not the right forum, but I believe an fz6r forum is the right place for asking unbiased advice about other bikes brands.

Here's the thing, I am looking to get a second bike.The idea is keeping the fz6r for my wife (although real truth is that I just love the fz6r and don't want to sell) but at the same time, I want to able to find a second bike and ride with her.

I've narrowed the options to Ducati Monster 696 and Street Triple or Speed Triple. I just love the looks.

Now, I am very confused about the pros and cons of the Speed vs Street. Also, the advantages of getting a Triumph over the Ducati. I know Ducati is air cooled so that's kind of a drawback.

Please do not tell me go to the dealer and try. This would be my 4th motorcycle. I know trying a bike is the best way to check ergonomics. What I need is advice or comments about the following ...

-Torque and power curves (looking for something smooth like fz6r)
-Reliability
-Upright position
-Cost of maintenance

Based on initial comments about fellow riders is when I start checking on dealers myself, without hearing all the BS that the sales guy will start spitting from his mouth ... lol ...

Any comment or advice is very appreciated...

Id go with the Duc hands down...there is a certain nostalgia about owning one. The maintenance is going to be about the same between the three from what Ive read. What type of riding do you do?

Deanohh

All I can tell you is i have had many bikes including a 09 250 ninja, a fz6r, and now I have a street triple and a Yamaha raider. 6'2". 230 lbs. The street is amazing and im not even close to thinking about getting anything else. I live right down the street from a Ducati dealer.

jocampo

Id go with the Duc hands down...there is a certain nostalgia about owning one. The maintenance is going to be about the same between the three from what Ive read. What type of riding do you do?
Thanks for reply.

5 miles commute to work :) ...

Plus weekend errands and having fun on back routes here in Houston.

I am not a hardcore rider. I do not want the bike for the racing track. But being a former Ninja 250 owner, I need something with enough power for highways but with smooth delivery, like the fz6r. That's why I love the fz6r engine.

Also, I'm 37 but in good shape. No back problems, not overweight. But I like comfortable bikes, upright position.

jocampo

All I can tell you is i have had many bikes including a 09 250 ninja, a fz6r, and now I have a street triple and a Yamaha raider. 6'2". 230 lbs. The street is amazing and im not even close to thinking about getting anything else. I live right down the street from a Ducati dealer.

I do appreciate your comment a lot!

How's the Street Triple upright position when you compare to the fz6r? I want to collect as much info I can here from you guys, before going to a dealer and try (or just change my mind and not getting one) but I've heard the Triumph is more comfortable with the Ducati being more forward position.

Now, I believe the Ducati is lighter, so is easier on U turns and curves (on paper at least) Am I right about it?

CrazyCawi

Thanks for reply.

5 miles commute to work :) ...

Plus weekend errands and having fun on back routes here in Houston.

I am not a hardcore rider. I do not want the bike for the racing track. But being a former Ninja 250 owner, I need something with enough power for highways but with smooth delivery, like the fz6r. That's why I love the fz6r engine.

Also, I'm 37 but in good shape. No back problems, not overweight. But I like comfortable bikes, upright position.
Ducati hands down...for your short rides and the weekend runs its going to give you that spark of excitment every day you turn that key. Kid you not! I know alot of people here say Maintenance hogs...but I disagree, like anything you take care of it, should run just fine. I have a few friends with the Ducs and Ive never seen them miss out on a ride or trouble on a ride. I think alot of people just base it off the "stigma". I understand they are air cooled, so that brings me to the next question...when your riding do you go when its 95+ for longer rides and even when humid ? If thats your prime riding weather I would consider liquid cooled....

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Both of those bikes have higher maintenance than any bike out of Japan. Check their service intervals and talk to the service departments about the costs for those appointments. The motto of a Duc... "Making mechanics out of riders for over 50 years!" I have a friend who works in the same building as I who has the speed triple. While he loves his bike, he's had it in the shop for various reasons more times than I can count. More often than not, he's unable to go on group rides because of scheduled or unscheduled maintenance.

My boss owns and LOVES a Duc and Aprilia but he's also the one that steered me back to my standard Yamaha. I'd still love to own a Duc and that would be the first choice. If you do go with a maintenance bike, I'd go with the Duc.

Take a look at the Yamaha FZ8N too. ;) Low maintenance and great power and torque in the mid-range. Drop one tooth in the front and go up two in the rear and you've got the rocket you desire.

jocampo

when your riding do you go when its 95+ for longer rides and even when humid ? If thats your prime riding weather I would consider liquid cooled....
Great point!

And that's why I also mentioned Ducati is air cooled.

I live in Houston, TX. Is damm hot here! 2011 was the hottest summer in USA like in 50 years I think. 105 during summer, easily.

While I live extremely close to work, it can be an inconvenient if I need to go to downtown and I get stuck in traffic.

I noticed my fz6r gets warm inside my legs sometimes, especially when I'm idle , and it's not even summer. Now, won't bother me too much while riding as long as that won't create a mechanical issue and a hole in my pocket.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
What is the FZ8N? I can't find that model. Looks similar to the FZ8 here in USA. Is that the same bike?
Yes, the FZ8 "N"aked vs the non-US model FZ8 faired.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

jocampo

I have a couple friends who have the street triples. Even let me ride them. All I can say is the Street T has more power and just feels right. I'm 5-8 and my friends are 5-10 and 6-3 both never felt cramped. Service records they had aren't much more than our bikes except labor. If you do your work yourself then you'll be fine. Each has over 25k miles and they still look and ride amazingly.

How the Street Triple delivers the power vs fz6r? I know is probably more powerful, but does the Street give you a smooth, linear torque?

I do not like "rocket type" bikes that jump from idle like a bullet ... I prefer having more torque at low rpms, for city traffic.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

CrazyCawi

lots more power and little to no vibration in the revs. Even the sound is unique. Makes me giggle.
Lol when edited= NSFW :eek:

"thats what she said"

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

jocampo

jocampo, I've been doing some research on this topic as well. I've been going between, the Duc Streetfighter, Monster, and Triumph Triples. From all the comparisons I've read, the conclusion I've come to is that the Triumph Street Triple is about the best bang/most fun for the buck.

As the wife and I are trying to refinance our house and/or buy a new one, I don't think I'll be getting one this year. Come this fall or winter, I hope to reserve a Street Triple R from the local dealership (who sells Ducs too). I still am not 100% on it, and would like to be able to ride them all to make my decision easier, but the dealer doesn't allow test rides. For now, that's the way I'm leaning, but I could change my mind between now and then.
Thank you so much! ;-)

We are on the same boat. And yes, they usually don't let us ride , at least on the few dealers we have here. The "best" thing we can do is try the demo bike and see how tall or comfortable it feels.

I'm not in a rush, so I can wait for sure. But it is good to start collecting some data, unbiased data.

Fizzer6R

at 6'2". 230 lbs isn't a Ducati Monster 696 a little small for you?... but guess if you were comfortable on a 250 ninja:eek:

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member