600 mi oil change done.

DanielW0830

checked the chain slack and its ok. nice & tight.
Everything else on the 600 mi list is pretty basic.

Note to all: Get the oil filter wrench adapter.
it was sooooooooooooo easy to get the oil filter off.
(in seconds) :steve:
(lots of o's to emphasize how easy it was)

I got the Mobil M1-108 oil filter @ Advanced Auto Parts.
& MOBIL 1 RACING 4T 10W/40

Considered AMSOIL, but seems like some sort of oil cult
& I can't buy it unless I'm on a preferred customer list?
huh? :eyebrow:

Whole job took about 1 hr.
Should have taken less time, but I attempted to use my swing arm stand by myself and could seem to lift it.
(newbie!)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

itbeme91

oh snap, well like ive mentioned before this is my first bike ever and just going by what the dealer told me and he said at 600miles either you do an oil change or bring it and we'll do it for $250. so yeah i guess ill go buy oil and filter monday and do it then. thanks for the heads up.

MikeN02

oh snap, well like ive mentioned before this is my first bike ever and just going by what the dealer told me and he said at 600miles either you do an oil change or bring it and we'll do it for $250. so yeah i guess ill go buy oil and filter monday and do it then. thanks for the heads up.
It's ok if you don't but it's better if you do. I didn't do my first oil change until 600 mi like you, then I went it again at 4,000 mi.

Have about 6893 miles right now so my 8000mi is coming up soon.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CDN6R

$250? Holy crap that seems like allot. My dealer did my 1st oil change last June using Yamaha filter/ Yamhalube oil checked everything over,adjusted chain,:Total? A little over $70.00 CDN.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

kevcoop

My dealer wants to charge $200.00 for my first service.

FitZ6R

I hope you've changed it more than just at 600 miles....

If you'll do some searches on here, you'll see that most of us changed the oil at least twice before hitting 600. There's just so much junk in there from the engine breaking in.
At least twice before 600 miles? Does that mean some people did it 3 or more times, as in every 150 or 200 miles? And how could you be sure that "most of us" (out of 1,400+ forum members) did early changes?

Not trying to be a jerk, but I think the supposed benefits of excessive maintenance get blown out of proportion. If people want to do it, I won't knock it, but why post this dire warning and alarm a new owner that he's harmed his bike by dutifully following the maintenance schedule?

Daniel, I think you'll be just fine.

DanielW0830

The service manual said 600.
The bike has *hardly* ever been above 7k rpms.
Seen a highway for about 30 seconds since it was bought Oct 09.

Almost all 600 miles were at 30-40 mph
@ 4-5k rpms.

(I baby her huh...)

I was surprised to see any noticeable metal in the oil.
So I'm not too concerned about changing it @ 600 miles.
I will however change it again @ 1200.
Just to be on the safe side. ;)

I hope you've changed it more than just at 600 miles....

If you'll do some searches on here, you'll see that most of us changed the oil at least twice before hitting 600. There's just so much junk in there from the engine breaking in.

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f88/should-i-change-my-oil-16480/

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/did-my-very-first-oil-change-18985/

Roaddawg

At least twice before 600 miles? Does that mean some people did it 3 or more times, as in every 150 or 200 miles? And how could you be sure that "most of us" (out of 1,400+ forum members) did early changes?

Not trying to be a jerk, but I think the supposed benefits of excessive maintenance get blown out of proportion. If people want to do it, I won't knock it, but why post this dire warning and alarm a new owner that he's harmed his bike by dutifully following the maintenance schedule?

Daniel, I think you'll be just fine.
Yeah, I followed the owners manual! First time at 600.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

TheProjectBoy

For those that waited until 600 miles for the first service its not necessary to have it changed prior. I just had my service done today and my bike runs lean, clean, and smooth. There is little to no vibration (discussed on another thread) at 6-7 RPM. It ran so smooth that I was afraid to take it more than 70mph as this is my first bike and never went passed 55-60 during break-in period. I know that some of us would rather perform the first service ourselves, but would not probably recommend unless you know exactly what the technician at the dealership does. I don't now what they did, but it feels like I have a different bike. The cost was not pleasant though e.g., $165, but perhaps well worth it. If anyone have any idea other than the service manual please share.

Be safe out there, Freddie

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

DanielW0830

Boy... wasn't my intention to start such a long thread. :)
On a positive note. . . shifting seems a bit smoother with synthetic oil.
Not such a big "clunk" when I switch gears.

Oh,, also the temps seem a tad lower. I was running around 220 230 when I got to work.
I was 170 or 190 (can't recall) (Was a cooler day today than previous days... so I'll have to watch)