2 up riding has ruined my paint!

cbzdel

We all know about the passenger grab handle and its location. Well I have about 400 miles of 2 up riding on this bike now, and I know the grab handle is only used when I am slowing down.. Here is the problem, I washed the bike today and it looks like the gloves my fiance wears have took off all the paint on the fairings just from the friction!!!! There are spots that is primer and some bare to the plastic!! If the paint wear is not enough, the whole area is COVERED in scratches :(

Is this normal by any means??

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Does not sound normal at all. Is she wearing some type of chainmaile gloves? ;)

I'm not too fond of the grab rail on the FZ6R, so I'm glad my wife will never have a pillion on her bike now that you've mentioned this. There isn't much clearance there at all!

SilentT

Bare Paint.

Im told they all use water based finihes now - not sure if this is less durable.?e less durable. One area that;) may definatly need changing is the rider -:)
Sorry about that

fz6rwolf

I have some scratches but on the tank cause I leave the tank bag on all the time. No scratches from pillion rider but don't do all that much 2-up. Not sure what she could be doing to scratch and rub your back plastic up that much.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

cbzdel

I have a tank slapper kit on my tank which I love, if I could only get something similar for my rear fairings now..

Reddog

I think they used crappy paint and no clearcoat on the back plastics. I have a tail bag that I strap around the back and the elastic straps have made really bad marks in the paint to the point that they need to be rubbed out with rubbing compound.

Brugge

I have a tank slapper kit on my tank which I love, if I could only get something similar for my rear fairings now..
Maybe try purchasing another tank slapper and cutting it to fit that area you want to protect.You could make a template that fit the area and then trace it onto the tank slapper backing piece and then cut it out. It might be worth a try since the tank slapper kits are relatively cheap.

Paint for touch up of the FZ6R can be found here by putting in the info:

Motorcycle Paint :: Touch Up, Aerosol & Refinish Paint - ColorRite

Or maybe the direct link will work:

Paint Search :: Color Results - ColorRite

Bigevildoer

We all know about the passenger grab handle and its location. Well I have about 400 miles of 2 up riding on this bike now, and I know the grab handle is only used when I am slowing down.. Here is the problem, I washed the bike today and it looks like the gloves my fiance wears have took off all the paint on the fairings just from the friction!!!! There are spots that is primer and some bare to the plastic!! If the paint wear is not enough, the whole area is COVERED in scratches :(

Hmm.. I think maybe you could try applying this:

Renfrew Shaft Saver Super Wrap Hockey Tape

It's for hockey sticks (composite) - goes on with a sticky back and is very durable. It's about .5mm thick - each roll is approximately 4" x 36".

later!

shreveport1

You could take em off and give them a good coat of rattle can truck bed liner.. that will stop the wearing down and give her a better grip!! :D