1st fall after 4 years riding

jocampo

Im not a newbie but wanted to share my experience .

I was approaching to a traffic light close to work, actually was going to eat lunch. Started stopping the bike , downshifting and braking when noticed my shoe lace, left one, got stuck. After all these years riding, I learned to put left one 1st, so what happened is that I keep jerking and moving the left foot without realizing I lost momentum and the bike just stopped moving. From there, was the most stupid way to go down. It slowly went down, to the left, breaking clutch lever and scratching left mirror, the plastic corner.

Coworkers stopped and helped me moved the bike . It did not start initially but later I found at the Yamaha dealer today, it was a safety feature, to avoid fire hazards; gas was cut by a sensor when detected I was down.

Long story short: wear short lace shoes or forget about the MSF course, put both feet down , if that makes you feel more comfortable. My brain is so educated for that that my instinct was more powerful than common sense.

Pleas drive safe! Always wear helmet and jacket.

Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

AngryAnt

I rode in sneakers *once* when I was at a red light that had just turned green when I looked down and saw my shoe laces untied.

Haven't worn them since. I don't have motorcycle boots, but I did shop for a pair of shoes with riding specifically in mind with very short laces that are hard to come loose and a decent grade leather, it just doesn't cover my ankle (I know, I know, one piece of gear at a time guys, don't start.).

Bloke

Pleas drive safe! Always wear helmet and jacket.
And motorcycle boots which aren't dangerous to wear, heaven forbid it got caught in your chain and while you're at it, some motorcycle pants. :)

Glad to hear you're okay though, it's only plastic at the end of the day, thankfully you're alright.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9794

Motorcycle boots ftw. And if you're against boots, at least go w/ motrcycle shoes that have straps instead-of/in-addition-to laces.

EDIT:

I guess I should include some background: about 4 months after getting my bike, I was making a right turn into a parking lot at the top of a hill. The rear tire slipped a bit on some gravel and I put my foot down to catch myself....I had on my Joe Rocket streetburner boots. I'm convenced that I would've severly rolled my ankle with regular lace up shoes on as the entire weight of the bike was on that planted foot.

Last edited by a moderator:

jocampo

Bought new shoes

Yeah, bought a nice pair of short boots, look kind of sporty. I mus admit not super comfortable for day usage though. So I also bought sport shoes, no tennis, but leather and no laces.

Asked the lady at the shoe stored to toss old ones in a trash can , lol ...

Fizzer6R

glad it wasn't worse!

"gas was cut by a sensor" - did dealer have to reset something?

Rookasaki

Thanks for the reminder... I always wondered about that. Glad it didn't get stuck in the chain riding on the freeway!