1000km in the aggressive position...

Superfly

Changed my handlebars to the forward "aggressive position" last week and after 1000km with them here is my take...

Everything is very similar...weight on wrists, steering, comfort etc. It was pretty tough to tell 20mm to be honest. But its slightly better feeling while cornering. The bike feels like the front is better planted with a little more weight on the front tire. Its subtle but there.

I feel like there is more room for me to move around on the bike if that makes sense. I can tuck in a bit better and not have my arms in such a tight angle. I can shift in the seat better as well. Its not a lot more room but it is noticeable.

I think there is a bit more strain on the arms and upperback...might be just that I've been riding my a$$ off in the last few days...I'm 5'10 with a good reach so if youre taller than that you owe it to yourself to try it. Any shorter you might not be as comfortable as you are now. I know I bought the bike with comfort in mind but I'm OK with the forward position.

I tried the higher seat last month and although I liked the leg room being high in the wind wasnt good and cornering wasnt great with the higher cofg...just didnt feel as nice so I went back down to the lower position.

All in all I'm leaving the bars in the forward position. Its called the aggressive position and thats pretty much how I'd call it too. Its a slight change but it just feels like its better IMO. Its worth the try if youre interested.

Maritimer (CDN)

On a completely unrelated note, is that the right engine of a Dash-8 in your profile pic? I work for NavCan at a smaller airport so i see a ton of them lol. :)

JonKerr

Elite Member

ramflyer1899

Changed my handlebars to the forward "aggressive position" last week and after 1000km with them here is my take...

Everything is very similar...weight on wrists, steering, comfort etc. It was pretty tough to tell 20mm to be honest. But its slightly better feeling while cornering. The bike feels like the front is better planted with a little more weight on the front tire. Its subtle but there.

I feel like there is more room for me to move around on the bike if that makes sense. I can tuck in a bit better and not have my arms in such a tight angle. I can shift in the seat better as well. Its not a lot more room but it is noticeable.

I think there is a bit more strain on the arms and upperback...might be just that I've been riding my a$$ off in the last few days...I'm 5'10 with a good reach so if youre taller than that you owe it to yourself to try it. Any shorter you might not be as comfortable as you are now. I know I bought the bike with comfort in mind but I'm OK with the forward position.

I tried the higher seat last month and although I liked the leg room being high in the wind wasnt good and cornering wasnt great with the higher cofg...just didnt feel as nice so I went back down to the lower position.

All in all I'm leaving the bars in the forward position. Its called the aggressive position and thats pretty much how I'd call it too. Its a slight change but it just feels like its better IMO. Its worth the try if youre interested.
Did it change your view in the mirrors? All I get are elbows!

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Superfly

On a completely unrelated note, is that the right engine of a Dash-8 in your profile pic? I work for NavCan at a smaller airport so i see a ton of them lol. :)
Thats exactly what it is. I took a picture with my cell phone and it caught the 4 blade propeller looking like about 10 blades...

Superfly

Did it change your view in the mirrors? All I get are elbows!
not really at least I didnt notice any difference in mirror view. 20mm isnt really a big change...I mean if you bent your elbows a bit you could simulate 20mm forward...

And concerning the forward arrows...mine had the arrows forward from the dealer and the bars were in the rear position ie the bulge on the lower clamp faced rearward. I think the dealer just figured that the arrow should be forward regardless. To be honest I dont think it matters how the top bar clamp is attached...it fits fine in reverse. Just tighten the cap end that seats flush to the bottom part first and then tighten the end that has a bit of space. This is how the clamp will bite into the bar for a secure grip.

Oh yeah and during removal loosen the end that has a space first when you take off the bar cap. If you try the flush side you will be fighting against the bending force and you will be shocked how tight it is...

joloy133

not really at least I didnt notice any difference in mirror view. 20mm isnt really a big change...I mean if you bent your elbows a bit you could simulate 20mm forward...

And concerning the forward arrows...mine had the arrows forward from the dealer and the bars were in the rear position ie the bulge on the lower clamp faced rearward. I think the dealer just figured that the arrow should be forward regardless. To be honest I dont think it matters how the top bar clamp is attached...it fits fine in reverse. Just tighten the cap end that seats flush to the bottom part first and then tighten the end that has a bit of space. This is how the clamp will bite into the bar for a secure grip.

Oh yeah and during removal loosen the end that has a space first when you take off the bar cap. If you try the flush side you will be fighting against the bending force and you will be shocked how tight it is...
Maybe that arrow is to remind you which bolt to undo first after positioning. One might not know/remember which one was flush or tightened first to begin with. Place the arrow on the bolt to be loosened first if it matters as you say. I can't tell which bolt to loosen first if I want to experiment, both sides/ends look flush when tight!

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Maritimer (CDN)

Off Topic

Thats exactly what it is. I took a picture with my cell phone and it caught the 4 blade propeller looking like about 10 blades...
Yeah it almost looks like a Turbofan prop. Having never been in a Dash i can't tell if that's a passenger seat or co-pilot seat you took that from? ;)

Superfly

Yeah it almost looks like a Turbofan prop. Having never been in a Dash i can't tell if that's a passenger seat or co-pilot seat you took that from? ;)
hahaha yeah the the F.O. seat. I'm with Jazz in YYZ. Soon to be 757s according to the press releases from Thomas Cook :rolleyes:

JonKerr

Elite Member

Superfly

One thing to be careful of when you do make this change is to make sure to note the angle or roll of the bars. If you move them and change the angle by rolling them forward or backward, you're going to change a whole lot more than just how far forward or back they sit. I rode toofless's bike a little while back and he also has his bars in the forward position but they're rolled way farther forward than mine. So the grips felt higher and at a different angle. It was very awkward feeling compared to mine. So make sure to keep them at the same angle so you can compare just the position, not the angle.
+1

I used the old pencil ;)

Maritimer (CDN)

hahaha yeah the the F.O. seat. I'm with Jazz in YYZ. Soon to be 757s according to the press releases from Thomas Cook :rolleyes:
Ahh nice, i'm FSS in CYFC at the moment. I start my training for my contollers liscence in September as part of our upgrade to a 16hour control tower. We've probably spoken on the radio at some point. :)

tractorboy

INTEREST INFO......ON 2 Accounts... my arrows are pointing forward so I have assumed mine were in the forward position. All nice but was going to TRY the rear position but maybe
#1 I dont want to now
and #2...I guess I need to truly look at the clamps to see what position in actually IN!!!!!

VERY GOOD POINT.........

Im about the same 5' 10". Now I cant wait to see where I truly am!!

Todd

maybe the dealer thought is was to let people know what direction the bike moves in....in case you get confused! :rolleyes:

Halon

I don't have my owners book on me but I did rotate the handlebars down towards me for a more sport look. It is tight on slow cornering or manuvering the bike, but I didn't realize that wasn't the only way it was adjustible?

Also when I turned the handlebars back I found we can only rotate the clutch lever partway because of the turn signal and horn cluster? Is that cluster adjustible as well? I hate having my brakes more flush in line with the bars than my clutch.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Halon

I meant is taking the bar caps with the arrows on them off and rotating the bar the only adjustment? Or is there a second location the bar mounts bolt into 20mm forward of the stock mount location, hidden by the bar mounts (underneath?)

JSP

Super Moderator
I just did this and I think its great.

Halon, you can roll the bars up or down as you said, AND you can rotate the risers to move the actual bars forward. For me, I had to take the small fairing tops off (not the whole side fairing) to get a wrench in there to rotate them.

It is a subtle change, but it just feels more natural. I also rotated the bars down about a 1/4". Moving the bars forward as well allows for tank clearance too it seems. Its not a full out super-sport position but it feels more "right". I had to adjust my clutch and brake as well but that is a really quick adjustment.

rjsantana20

Any before and after pics on the handlebars?