wisdome on gas...

F

FZ6Rgurl

Central Oregon has ethanol-free premium. It's quite a bit more expensive. Regular 87 is running about 2.60 a gallon here and the ethanol free is running about 3.20 a gallon. Most of the gas stations have restrictions on what you can put this into. Gas cans, boats, ATV's, dual-sports, 1954 cars and older. It kinda sucks.

zig308

can't seem to find non-ethanol stuff around here... I've looked as I've heard the same thing before and would love to try it out.
Agreed... never noticed non-ethanol gas anywhere even in premium in MD or VA.

I thought all gas was required to have 10% ethanol so Congress could make corn farmers happy with higher corn prices and supposedly save the Earth?

Yone

The manual says to use a pump octane number of 86 or higher, and goes on to say, "If knocking (or pinging) occurs, use a gasoline of a different brand or premium unleaded fuel."

Verranth

Agreed... never noticed non-ethanol gas anywhere even in premium in MD or VA.

I thought all gas was required to have 10% ethanol so Congress could make corn farmers happy with higher corn prices and supposedly save the Earth?
There was a time, long ago ;), that fuel was ethanol free. But now, VA, MD, and even WVa, and most parts of Penn (that i've seen) all have Ethanol. I believe 10% is most common and some have 15%.

In any case, the bike seems to run fine, still plenty of power and fun. Even if I could use the E-free stuff, for the price it would cost, I think I would pass. Kudos to you guys who can choose, and tell the difference =)

amirw

91 one here, only because the dealer recommended it, Didn't see any problem with that so I continue to use it.
I try to stop in Shell or Chevron but ARCO has good gas also although the rumor said they are mixing it with water

Fastprof

I run regular in mine and it runs fine. I tried medium grade over the summer for 3-4 tank fulls and did not notice any difference other than cost of fill ups.

CharlieR

Long

O.K. Guys and girls, a Lil fuel info for ya. Non-Ethenol tips:Most stations get their fuel from the same terminals(in this area there is a Shell and Chevron, also a BP but they get their fuel pipelined from Shell) the only difference is the additive that gets injected into it as it is loaded. Gas and water don't mix, let it sit and they will seperate. Although bad gas does happen (rare but affects a region not a station)it is usually "bad tank" and "stale gas" issues that you see as bad performance. Stations that sell more gas usually have less issues with this. Use the most popular stations(no matter the brand) in your area and "bad gas" should be gone for you.

Ethenol is another matter, 10% (called E10)is the max you should run in any non-flex fuel engine(flex-fuel uses E85). Ethenol has a higher octane than even premium, But it takes almost 2 times the fuel to get the same A/F ratio. Ethenol will mix with water, and will get water into your fuel and make your car/bike run like crap. This is what makes tank maintance much more of a factor with Ethenol. Use the same guidelines as Gas and the problems with E10 is reduced. Also try to use only below ground tanks with E10 due to condensation(water again). Ethenol also does damage to rubber lines over time, and DO NOT leave it in a rubber lined fuelcell in storage

No need to get into all the rumors about no differences in octane, fueling when the station is getting fuel delivered or the 1 hose "premium" debate. People belive what they belive. But if you learn the smells you'll know what your getting. Yep E10 has a different smell(think rubbing alcohol) than regular gas and premium smells different(stronger and kinda sweeter) than regular(sorry Mid-grade users it smells like regular :) )

Now fill 'em up and lets ride.

CharlieR

Almost forgot. E85 and E10 smell the same but you should never find anyone selling E85 as E10(illegal)due to engine damage. No way for non-flex fuelers to get the extra fuel injected into the engine causing an extreamly lean condition. O.K. it's illegal to sell 87 as 93 but it happens, but it's harder to prove (due to most people never knowing because they didn't need 93 anyway)and the fines aren't as steep.

Last edited:

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Anakai559

Mpg?

Dealer recommended 91 so I use 91 octane, I usually pump at 76 gas station. I know it's off topic but how much miles do you guys & gals get in a full tank. I just got my bike so I wanted to have some idea so I can compared to my bike? I know at yamaha website they suggested 43mpg. Thanks

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Spunky99

Ya..Dart has it right.

The logic goes like this....
Would you perform surgery on yourself? (I have done some that required stitches...YES)
Would you fly yourself or let the trained pilot do it ( I am a trained pilot so YES I would)
Would you make your own suit or have a tailor custom make it? (I have made a suit before..it isn't that hard to do)
Would you fix the plumbing yourself or call in a professional (The jackalopes masquerading as professionals don't know diddly squat about a trade I was a professional in when my back was still in good shape)
Would you rebuild your own brakes, engine etc or let a professional do it? (I've done this all my life so why stop now)

The dealer's job is to extract every penny he can from the customer and after he has reamed the customer, make the customer smile like he got a deal.

Use whatever octane you want as the manual does say 86 or higher. As long as your bike is stock it will work. But ask yourself this?
Do you like a New York, Porterhouse, Fillet Mignon or Rib Eye steak at dinner?
Buy the gasoline you want...not what they tell you to buy.

Also I think I read that they don't add ethanol to 91 octane. Is that correct? and as a follow up, will ethanol do any harm or have any negative effects on an engine that red lines at over 11,500 RPM?

Fun topic..no answers....

Anakai559

Thanks guys for the tip, I'm new to bike so I would think dealer is right. How about the MPG for our fz6r? What's your average MPG?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member