why bikes are invisible on the road

bobski

Check this out. First time I've seen this explanation of 'why' people sometimes just don't seem to see us when they're looking straight at us and turn right in front of us anyways! Something all bikers need to know!
MSF

BKP

Really interesting...

Sounds like what's needed is a counter-stimulation to break that hypnotic effect... I wonder if the strobe HID's have any success...

(Or maybe what we need are sandbag launchers -- three dead bikers this past month in Atlanta...)

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Fenixgoon

If you stare at your cell phone like the dot yea, it might make a motorcycle disappear.But if your scanning for hazards it shouldn't affect you bad enough to miss a dark silhouette with a headlight, I understand misjudging speed, but not this.

I think thats just a high tech exscuse.If the sun is blinding you, you dont just stare at it.Same thing with oncoming headlights.If you have to squint your eyes from the sun, and go through a intersection blind, or simply pull into traffic from a intersection with blindspots.You shouldn't just do it.You slowly pull forward hoping your vision will improve, or unseen traffic can alert, or avoid you.

Regardless of the circumstances that make a blindspot.Its the drivers responsibility to identify them, and proceed cautiouslly.It really doesnt matter if its a eye phenomenon, the sun, a accident merging lanes on the freeway, or one in town at a intersection.A motorcycle only uses 1/3 of the lane.If the motorcycle wasnt seen, or given enough time to change course or brake.It was the brain of the drivers fault, not the eyes.
if something isn't moving, it's very easy to miss. people naturally notice contrast, whether it's color or movement. bikes are especially difficult to see from a side profile (i.e. pulling out of a driveway perpendicular to the main path of travel)

i didn't see a turkey the other day because it was standing still. just a black spot in green grass - could have just as easily been a log, some fallen tree branches, or a mailbox.

now, that deer that was walking across the road? i picked him up a mile away (relatively speaking) before i noticed his friends chilling on the side of the road, again, standing still.