White and Crusty Residue, -potential coolant leak?

DCP

Whats up y'all, I come in search of wisdom. Ive noticed for a while now a white translucent crust like residue (as if vapor or liquid has evaporated on the surface), coating the sides of my bike. Just from working on cars, it looks like when coolant dries- but I have looked high and low for a leak when the bike was pretty hot and I cannot find one. I need to get my paddock stand out there and level it out to check the tank better, but when I looked at it leaning fairly close to verticle - it seemed to be full. unnamed (2).jpgunnamed (3).jpgunnamed.jpg

Please Help! Take a look at the photos, see what you surmise. Any advice would be much appreciated!

blkbrd

Elite Member

tho9504

Whats up y'all, I come in search of wisdom. Ive noticed for a while now a white translucent crust like residue (as if vapor or liquid has evaporated on the surface), coating the sides of my bike. Just from working on cars, it looks like when coolant dries- but I have looked high and low for a leak when the bike was pretty hot and I cannot find one. I need to get my paddock stand out there and level it out to check the tank better, but when I looked at it leaning fairly close to verticle - it seemed to be full. View attachment 39697View attachment 39698View attachment 39699

Please Help! Take a look at the photos, see what you surmise. Any advice would be much appreciated!
low probability but check your battery for leaks also. Maybe the acid from battery leaked?

DCP

Ok thanks yall, I had thought it might be something like that. In Atlanta we dont really have salt trucks or anything like that, it did snow about a month and a half ago. Ill keep an eye on it, I appreciate the insight!

MrFrzZ

Its possible that your State road crews panicked and ordered some in from other areas to mix with the sand/cinders/ whatever they DO use.

sti491

My bike looked like that (not as severe) when I went for a long ride on a sunny warm day, which was 2 days after a NC light snow/ice event that they brined the roads for. I'm pretty darn sure you rode on a brined road, probably through a puddle or a few damp areas (?). I'm with everyone else. Wash her really well. Salt (brine) is nasty stuff.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member