Which way does the front sprocket go?

jjmaine

I’m wondering if you put the thick flange in towards the engine or facing out? I have a Driven front sprocket and one side is taller allowing you to have the sprocket in more towards the engine or out more. Of course I didn’t pay attention to which way it was when I took the old one off…

jjmaine

The previous owner was using 17/42 sprockets😲. Let the clutch out and idle down the road at 25mph, just don’t count on any torque….
IMG_1866.jpeg

jjmaine

I have 3 front sprockets and the offsets all measure differently. I installed the Driven front sprocket about 10 different times and took various measurements both ways and came to the conclusion that both offsets are wrong. Now maybe I’m wrong but to my eye and using the motion pro chain alignment tool with the rear wheel perfectly aligned in the swingarm, one direction and the sprocket was a little too far inboard and the other direction it was too far away from the engine.

The JT sprocket seems to be more like oem in that it can be installed either direction and it puts the sprocket the same distance from the engine and seems to align correctly.

Does anyone have an old front sprocket kicking around that you can measure the offset for me?
IMG_1871.jpeg

jjmaine

Sweet thanks! I actually ordered a used oem front sprocket off eBay for $8. I’ll get to the bottom on which sprocket has the closest offset to oem. You would think they would all be the same as oem but I’m sure they make 1 sprocket to fit many bikes so not all will fot perfectly. Either way zi don’t think a mm or two will make a big difference but I’d like to get close…

jjmaine

I got the oem front sprocket today and it looks like I was right. The JT sprocket is closest with the 2.8mm offset. Oem measures 2.7mm both sides. I’m sure any if them will work like I said but I guess I’m just picky. At least picky enough to spend money on a worn out front sprocket to make sure lol. I bet the seller on ebay was wondering why in the hell anyone would have bought that but at least he got rid of it😂IMG_1877.jpeg