Which insurance company to get for my FZ6R in California

legioss

Which insurance company do you have for your motorcycle?
Why do you prefer your current insurance company to others (i.e. lower price, customer service, etc)

I have home and auto policy with mercury, but they do not offer motorcycle insurance. i am running out of time to register my motorcycle or pay penalty and Being that im newer than a newbi related to motorcycle, i wanted to ask you guys/gals and get some feedback on which company to consider.

Since, im in los angeles county, california, i would like to know about the insurance companies doing business in california and not a regional company that has no relationship with california.

Thank in advance,

Adroit

My broker is C Diamond Insurance, which got me a policy with progressive. It was just the cheapest rate I could find.. haven't had to use it yet so can't really comment on that, but can't complain about $34 a month for comprehensive + liability. I wish I could give you more information, but all I recall from a year ago when I looked into it was that this was the best deal I could find :/

jamesgarfield

I've got McGraw as well. I'm 22 have full comprehensive w/ $500 deductible for $87/mo

No accidents or tickets w/in the past 3yrs

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Detrich

www.ridewithmcgraw.com aka Pacific Specialty Insurance in Irvine, CA is -the- cheapest insurance, -if- all u want is basic liability... That said, with all the expensive cars and ambulance-chasing lawyers in So Cal, it may be wise to get full coverage if u can afford to... I started out my first 2 years with McGraw with just liability and now on my 3rd year I switched to Auto Club aka AAA. My auto policies are still with Mercury though. With McGraw I was paying around $350/ year for liability 50/75/50 with uninsured motorist. Currently am paying around $600 per year for full coverage for 100/300/250 with AAA. A motorcycle is a motor vehicle and it can still inflict serious bodily injury to pedestrians or bicyclists. No need to be paranoid, but its good to protect yourself if you can. Hope this helps.

legioss

Thanks all for the informative replies. I was only able to get a quotation from Progressive today. Their lowest liability policy that meets CA insurance coverage requirement came out to $144 for annual for me. I will try other suggested insurance company tomorrow.

I thought I would have some time to register my MC during lunch time, but I won't have time until next Monday. I think it worked out better, since I can now compare different rates.

As for the coverage, after learning to ride away from street in front of my home :p, I will definitely get a full coverage (that's if I don't wreck the bike before):eek:.

Detrich

In the beginning if u r very safe & very careful, u can prolly get away with just 15/30/15, assuming you're riding in low traffic areas etc. that shouldn't cost more than $150 to 200 per year.

But, lotta ppl forget as they progress and venture out into the world that $15k bodily injury liability is like a fart in the wind nowadays. With all the shady, ambulance-chasing attorneys that advertise to illegal immigrants on the side of public buses, we need to protect ourselves.

Don't ever skimp on insurance when the time comes.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member