When do I graduate from this bike?

MNDZA

The FZ6R is my first bike and I was wondering when are you "ready" to upgrade to a more powerful bike? Is it after a certain number of miles or can I just learn the basics and then apply them to a more powerful bike afterward? I have good self control and am very cautious so what else do I need and how do I know when I'm ready to switch?

T

thirty_too

well for me i dont have your model but the fz6 has enough power for me. I honestly dont ever want a liter bike... no point. my $.02

K

KensFz6

I stepped up from a 250 to my FZ6 after about 4 months and 750 miles. I found the newfound power exciting and scary at the same time. Ideally, I should have had more experience first but I'm also a cautious rider. As long as you think you're ready and aren't overconfident, go for it.

T

thirty_too

but the fz6r is not a 250. at least im almost positive it isnt. a 600 is quite different than a 250

D

derf

I've been riding for >20 years and have had my FZ6 for 4 years.

I figure I should be ready for an 'upgrade' when this one wears out and something shiny and new strikes my eye...

so I'll probably 'graduate' from this bike in about 5 years.

S

sfcali86

i think youll just know after rideing for a 10-20 thousand miles youll feel comfortible i think the best thing to do is to ride your fz to you own limits on twisties, long trips, everywhere once your comftrible you'll get the felling its time to try somthing that can handle more agressive and faster. for me it will be a while i dont feel ready to handle an extra 600cc right now its plenty as far as handleing i need mor practice eventually ill want something that performs much better

I

ironman

If a FZ6R is your first bike, then you still have some work to do. The bike hasn't even been on the market for a year, and it's a pretty aggressive choice for a beginner bike. My advice at this point would be to ride a few times with a couple of experienced, responsible, long time riders and learn a few things. I have an fz6, and it is my first personally owned street bike, but I have ridden quite a bit over the years, on several different bikes of my dad's and friends. So I'm only sort of a beginner, but I still have a long way to go before I'm ready for any bike that is "more" than the FZ. Trust me, the first time some 65 year old dude wearing some old school leathers smokes you through a section of twisties on his 10 year old ninja 250, you'll start to see what I'm saying.

C

CZAR357

Wait until you get enough experience and think you are ready. I'd have to agree with sfcali on this one. 10-20 thousand miles. I am by no means a pro. I am keeping my FZ6 until I feel I am ready for the move. You should do the same with your FZ6r. And if you get the chance to test ride a more powerful bike, do it. My brother let me test ride his bike it was good to get a feel for a bike with more power. They are awesome machines and you have to respect them otherwise you will learn the hard way why you should.

F

FizzySix

The FZ6R is my first bike and I was wondering when are you "ready" to upgrade to a more powerful bike?
I'm not sure the question makes sense to me - there is no progression. For the FZ6, if you're wringing it out in second gear, you're already traveling at speeds in excess of most speed limits nationwide. In third, in its power band, you're about ready to catch your hair on fire and warp the space-time continuum. And you've still 3 more gears to go.

It also makes a fine touring bike, a commuter...it's whatever you want it to be.

If you're hitting some sort of performance limits on the bike on the street, you don't need to worry about it: you'll be the subject of a "fallen rider" thread before you can worry about an "upgrade".

Based on what I've seen, the FZ6 owners tend to grow outside the "do it all" capacities and want something more task-specific, suited to their specific needs: an FJR for touring, an R6 for track days, etc. It's not a matter of "graduating" but finding a bike that fits their specific interests, once the Fizzer gives them the flexibility and opportunity to discover what they wanted to do with a bike.

So the question is really only one you can answer: when will your needs or skills exceed the bike's capacity to deliver enjoyment in the capacity you intend for it?

I suspect (based on the ordinary FZ6) that you have some time to consider the question....

K

KensFz6

but the fz6r is not a 250. at least im almost positive it isnt. a 600 is quite different than a 250
My bad. I thought the R was one of those Euro/India small cc versions.

The 600 has plenty of power for me and then some. A liter bike would just be untapped potential that would just lead to untimely death or jail time imo.

C

CZAR357

The 600 has plenty of power for me and then some. A liter bike would just be untapped potential that would just lead to untimely death or jail time imo.
Never rode a liter bike but I was happy with my bro's z750s. More power than the FZ6 for sure. Seemed a lot smoother as well. It was better for long hauls on the freeway though. Maybe thats just the buzz from the FZ6 that makes it crappy. Definitely more opportunities speeding tickets though:(.

MNDZA

The reason I'm asking is not because I feel the need for more power, I just like certain bikes and those bikes are considerably more powerful. I don't speed or ride aggressively, I just want a bike that makes me happy when I look at it and ride it....and those bikes are mostly 1100cc and up.

S

scottsst

I have allways looked at as you will know in your on mind when you are ready. if you are happy with your skills on a smaller less powerfull motorcycle. go to your dealer and talk to them about it if the sales staff is with you in your quest try a couple bikes out to see what makes you happy . it could be as simple as a R6 or a gixxer600 or you may have to jump up to an R1 or maybe bigger . bare in mind that list of bikes make a lot more power than a FZ6R and things can get out of hand in a big big hurry

T

thirty_too

no sweat my man... i was a little apprehensive myself....

S

smokenu

I've been riding sport bikes since I was 18, so almost 16 years now. I have owned
1st bike ninja 250
2nd bike 92 cbr600f2
3rd bike 96 cbr600f3 race replica
4th bike 2003 r6
5th bike 2008 FZ6

All these bike's listed above were and are great bike's, as you can see I have never had the need to step up in size. The 600cc class in my opion is the best bang for the buck! light and plenty of power! (for anyone). Yes the performance of each bike was different in some ways and the cbr's and r6 were a blast to ride:rockon: Just remember any bike will always be able to out perform you:eek:Ride what you like :thumbup: and be safe.

grommit

I think people are better off with a cheap/used first bike, which you can use to lean the skills and fall off. Then move onto a big :)confused:) 600 with around the 100BHP, a real FZ6 perhaps :rolleyes:. My previous 600 was around the same power as the FZ6R and I got bored with it very quickly. Second year with the real FZ6 and still love that rush at the top end. Now if they made one with adjustable front forks, it would be the perfect bike, I digress.

L

LERecords

The reason I'm asking is not because I feel the need for more power, I just like certain bikes and those bikes are considerably more powerful. I don't speed or ride aggressively, I just want a bike that makes me happy when I look at it and ride it....and those bikes are mostly 1100cc and up.
see .. and this is part of the problem.. i would love to buy a new bike every 2 years.. but they dont make to many models that are appealing in this or lower category..

i think its not more of "when is a good time to upgrade or after how long/miles"... its more of, "i want to ride other bikes" because we are human and we all like nice, new, shinny bikes :thumbup:

oh and i would say, upgrade after 5-6k miles.. do short rides, do long rides... after a few thousand miles, you'll get the whole jist of motorcycling.. :thumbup:

C

CravenMoorhead

In my opinion, the non-R extra 18 horsepower 3000 or 4000 RPM higher in the rev range isn't worth giving up the R's more usable HP and Torque lower in the rev range,
particularly when FZ6R riders will (eventually) be able to add on performance upgrades if they find it necessary.

If I did a lot of track days or raced/drag stripped then I'd feel differently.

MNDZ just got your bike a week or two ago, how often have you ridden aggressively above 7000 RPM yet? The bike really wakes up at that level especially after it is broken in.

We all have th0se 'bigger dog' thoughts...

K

keira

First off, good for you for starting on a 600, even though it wasn't your "ideal" bike.

You will know when you are ready to move on, but don't do it before you ride this for a year. You may find out that you love it once you relly know how to ride it, and you'll always be learning thigns with it. I thought I would be getting rid of my SV after a couple years, but I am going on year four and ADAMANT that I will be keeping it after the baby comes. :)

fz6rwolf

I've ridden off and on since '78. I might consider bigger when I have more time for long trips then maybe something more tourer oriented but I'm planning on keeping this fun do-it-all kinda ride quite awhile. I'm not sure if you went for say an R1 you would be happy with the ergonomics of the liter bikes.