What I learned today

RoadTrip

They say experience is a big part of becoming a competent and safe motorcyclist; well in the past 6 months, I have learned several things by experience that I never anticipated, I will start:

1) Buzzards, do not assume they will fly away from your bike as you approach, I startled one feasting in the middle of the road and he took off and crossed in front of my bike, his wing hit my mirror, I was going like 70mph, got lucky

2) Railroad Crossings, the gates can go down real quick, I saw the flashing lights, gates were up, so I thought I could go through, then the gates came down real fast, locked up the rear and fish-tailed a bit, kept it rubber side down, got lucky

3) Downshifting, had rear lock-ups on several occasions with rear slides, now I am more careful about downshifting and releasing clutch too aggressively, got lucky.

Share your stories of close calls, it may benefit the group.

Last edited:

kevin8198

Elite Member

Fenixgoon

Thanks for sharing, sometimes when downshifting a completely pop the clutch and have never experienced rear tire lock. Hmmm. Well glad you're still with us.:thumbup:
can't say i've ever had the rear tire lock on me when downshifting.

my big thing: learn to use your brakes in emergency situations. it's so easy to lock the rear it's not even funny (at least for me).

Dimefan

I find that when I downshift before a corner a little bit too fast my rear tire "locks up" just long enough that the tires skips a bit. Makes a certain area pucker a bit. just sayin.

JSP

Super Moderator
Dont assume ANYONE sees you... even if they are looking RIGHT AT YOU!

Dont touch the front brake in dirt/gravel.

Dont ride when you are tired/ not 100% mentally relaxed/refreshed.

If one deer runs across the road, bet your ass another will be right behind it, so stay alert!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Husker001

I found a new reason for staying on one side of a lane and holding tight - I was on the outside of the far right lane on a four lane (two each way) road and a SUV was on the inside lane - some moron on another sport bike came out of no where and split between us - I was doing 50 already in a 45 zone - he was easily over 120 - wearing a Tshirt. Scared the crap out of me since I've only been riding 2 weeks.....learning every day.

Fizzer6R

my advice is try to do a track day. even if it's part of a local club that you pay a fee and ride your bike and not one of the biz. ones you have instruction with.

for years I thought no sense doing it if I didn't plan on racing. once I finally did it opened up my eyes a whole lot on riding. you can concentrate much more on braking, shifting, lines, shifting your weight on the bike, etc... it's so freeing not having to worry about all the distractions of the street. then when you go back on public roads you will be shocked how much you notice around you vs. just trying to go fast on the track.

RedDeadRaven

3) Downshifting, had rear lock-ups on several occasions with rear slides, now I am more careful about downshifting and releasing clutch too aggressively, got lucky.
When you downshift, "blip" the throttle to bring the RPM's up to where they will be when the clutch engages and that will keep your rear wheel from locking up. It'll take some practice and experience, but eventually you'll learn right where your RPM's need to be for the gear you're shifting into at a given speed.
This will also reduce wear and tear on your clutch, engine, tire, and everything in between....plus it sounds cool;)

dndfindley

I have experienced rear tire lock when downshifting several times, both with the Spyder and now with the FZ6R. Not a problem, not even a little one, with the Spyder. Although the only problem it caused with the FZ was a little fishtailing it could have been worse. You'd think I would have learned by now, huh? I'm getting better and don't downshift as much as I used to and when I do I don't go down as far. David

M

mas4489

thats what i was thinking, maybe you are going down to far too fast when downshifting? like if your doing 70 mph you dont want to let the clutch out in 2nd gear (just an example, not even sure if its possible)

I downshift all the time and have never locked up the rear tire.

xezty

Yes....definitely blip the throttle on your way down and keep in mind your gear....

Things I learned:

1. You may have to share that lane with a car when it doesn't see you and turns left into yours and it's a two lane road.

2. Old folks don't see stop signs...and I mean like there wasn't one there at all.

3. When approaching an intersection during wet roads/rain...don't get your rear tire on any painted surface...makes for a fun/interesting take off.

4. Once you upgrade at least once....you're definitely hungry for more...even if it is only cosmetic.

Tmak73

So this isn't a skill or anything I have learned, this may be more of a rant and I apologize in advance.

Now, I have a friend who has been riding for a while now and he has had a bunch of different bikes, 250 ninja, then to a vfr800, then came the busa, 750 gsxr, f4i, and even a 250 cc dirt bike. So he has had quite a variety and has learned a lot. Now he still has his gsxr and f4i. The point that he has made to me when we talk about bikes and their abilities is that you will usually never ride a bike to its limits. He has had his gsxr for a while now and he thinks he is a great rider on it but just when he thinks that he has mastered someone else will blow by him through the twisties. The point I am trying to get at here is a lot of people talk about how they need more of this or that or they see something they like. Essentially it is kind of like wanting what you don't have which is natural. I myself always find myself looking at other bikes and thinking oh well maybe I should have gotten something else. But for what its worth, I feel that it will take me a while to be able to ride this bike to its limits. By the time I do I want to know every part of the bike and be so bored with it or have run the engine through so many miles that it does die. Everyone buys there bike for different reasons. I really want to take mine out on long trips so for me I don't need a big liter bike. I have seen guys out putting around on 80's cb450's. They don't really care what their bike looks like, they are out there toughing it and living life. So this was really just a long winded way of saying get out their and ride. You don't need all the bells and whistles to go on the trips and to create memories and life experience. I hope this made some kind of sense now that I read through it the second time it is really scatter brained but oh well.. I got to try and put my thoughts into words.

PhatPhizzixxer

Not just what I learned today but since riding

This is a great topic & I'm interested in hearing more replies.

• Sounds so simplistic but the main thing I have learned is to stay relaxed.
  • Check your attitude & your fortitude before every ride.

Finally...ATGATT...the exception (isn't there always an exception?) is never approach the cat when fully geared up...I tried to get my cat's leash untangled before a ride, while fully geared, and she tore through my glove in a tazmanian-freak-the-fvck-out reaction...will never do that again! :eek:

DragonBlu

This is a great topic & I'm interested in hearing more replies.

• Sounds so simplistic but the main thing I have learned is to stay relaxed.
  • Check your attitude & your fortitude before every ride.

Finally...ATGATT...the exception (isn't there always an exception?) is never approach the cat when fully geared up...I tried to get my cat's leash untangled before a ride, while fully geared, and she tore through my glove in a tazmanian-freak-the-fvck-out reaction...will never do that again! :eek:
Thanks,Now I have a new way to keep cats out of my lawn! :)

kvc25

Something I learned today: don't hold your helmet by the chinstrap unless it's fed securely through the D-ring. Was a walking down a flight of stairs when the chin strap button came undone and my 3 days old Shoei RF-1100 helmet went crashing to the concrete floor. Scuff marks EVERYWHERE :-(

Lesson has now been forever learned...

em21701

For those of us who see snow, the crap they spray on the cracks in the spring to reseal the broken roads may as well be chassis grease. The cracks perpendicular to the direction are ok, the parallel ones are crazy slick. I wish they would just leave the road cracked or fix it the right way. I have never dumped, but it has sure made me clench.

Sage

For those of us who see snow, the crap they spray on the cracks in the spring to reseal the broken roads may as well be chassis grease. The cracks perpendicular to the direction are ok, the parallel ones are crazy slick. I wish they would just leave the road cracked or fix it the right way. I have never dumped, but it has sure made me clench.
Tar snakes are there to kill us, pretty much have to learn how to avoid them or control your bike on them, they are a plague around here...