Very new rider and I have already smoked my clutch

Duphman2

I have just started riding (my MSF course is next week) and while I was practicing low speed turns in the parking lot a large amount of smoke (and a burning smell) erupted when I let my clutch out rather quickly.

I just want to know if I have destroyed my clutch.

The incident occurred when I was practicing riding and I revved my engine to 2000rpm. Afterwards there was a jerk and smoke and I am now unable to reach the "friction zone". I can only inch forward with the throttle, I used to be able to do so without it.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

creggur

That's odd... motorcycle clutches can take some pretty serious abuse and parking lot practice shouldn't smoke one.

Duphman2

Take it back! 2k? that's nothing, idle is 1300:confused:
If you're seeing smoke, it was not from "letting out the clutch rather quickly" at only 2k...

Make sure, it's not something simple like chain lube that you are smelling/seeing "smoke"... it gives off quite a nasty smell when it hits the exhaust!
The chain lube may be a possiblity. I just went outside again and it seems I can find the friction zone again. I did panic after this happened so maybe I jumped to conclusions.

Collier_FZ6R

ya i dont say it is the clutch i rev my bike at 8000 and let the clutch out to do stunts i am sure you letting it out at 2000 is nt going to hurt it

Spunky99

Clutch adjustment..there should be some play...if not then that is why there is no friction zone and when fully out the motorcycle just creeps forward. Make sure the clutch is not too tight....;)

2w05thletes

ya i dont say it is the clutch i rev my bike at 8000 and let the clutch out to do stunts i am sure you letting it out at 2000 is nt going to hurt it
I dropped the clutch in 1st at 10000 to get the wheel up goofing around once. I think your clutch and transmission are fine. And if they're not...take the bike back, that shouldn't happen.

MikeN02

No way for you to do that with just reving it. Jap bikes can take a lot of abuse!

I've done a lot of stuff with bikes and not once has my engines failed me because of it.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

MikeN02

I could go "there", but I won't.... HAHAHA... I was so, so close to posting up some $h!+ tonight, and I checked myself.

i.e. you said "Jap".... (I wrestled with this one... I'm glad the ppl I hang with are adult enough to put "Jap" "Asian" "White guy" into perspective... I hate being PC)

you said "I've done a lot of stuff with bikes", need I say more:eek:

if this offends... please flame me... I'll fix it. I can laugh at a lot of things.... I do not in, any way shape or form, want to offend!
Ah, the age we live in. Where anything can be taken as a sexual reference. I just post what it is, Japanese Bike! Asian Guy, etc.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
I could go "there", but I won't.... HAHAHA... I was so, so close to posting up some $h!+ tonight, and I checked myself.

i.e. you said "Jap".... (I wrestled with this one... I'm glad the ppl I hang with are adult enough to put "Jap" "Asian" "White guy" into perspective... I hate being PC)

if this offends... please flame me... I'll fix it. I can laugh at a lot of things.... I do not in, any way shape or form, want to offend!

I'm offended... :scared: haha :justkidding: no really... :D:Flash:

bmw675

"Jap" "Asian" "White guy" into perspective... I hate being PC)
:ban: i take offense to white guy, i prefer dumba$@ :justkidding:

DanielW0830

I work inside all day at a desk writing software.
I'm the "White Guy."
My kids said when I take my clothes off to get in the pool, airplanes swerve from the bright white object on the ground. :)

thatklutzychick

Dude, I'm a Jap-Flip-Chink-Cracker-Spic chick and I wasn't offended. You're solid, but maybe I'm not after saying all that stuff. My mutt heritage gives me the street cred to say those things right? Besides, who hasn't "done a lot of stuff with bikes?" Or maybe that's just me ;) lol

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Stephenfz6r

This bike has a wet clutch(?):confused:;). If it does then I doubt the smoke was from the clutch.

JSP

Super Moderator
This bike has a wet clutch(?):confused:;). If it does then I doubt the smoke was from the clutch.
Yes. Most modern bikes today do, with exceptions of a few brands.