Uneven chicken strips

MNDZA

I have about 1400 miles on my FZ6R and I noticed that my "chicken strips" on the rear tire are not equal. The right side is basically all the way gone, but the left side has a good half inch left. I understand that left turns are not nearly as sharp as right turns....could that be the reason? I feel somewhat less capable though of cornering left as I do right. I actually managed to scrape my right peg today pushing it so hard, but I can't get the confidence with the left. How do I fix this and let me know about my chicken strips before I eat em.

T

Tarzanman

Scraping pegs is a bad thing. If you are a new rider and leaning the bike over that much then either:

1. You're riding like a complete hooligan on the roads
2. You have absolutely horrible form and do not know how to hang off the bike.

Also, it is not abnormal for people to favor one side as far as cornering.

C

CZAR357

Scraping pegs is a bad thing. If you are a new rider and leaning the bike over that much then either:

1. You're riding like a complete hooligan on the roads
2. You have absolutely horrible form and do not know how to hang off the bike.

Also, it is not abnormal for people to favor one side as far as cornering.
I agree with the fact that some people favor one side when turning. Not sure which side I favor on a bike but in a car I would say left turns are more favorable for me. Totally disagree with your other 2 reasons. 1. You dont have to be riding like a complete hooligan on the roads to lean the bike over far. Take some twisty roads that you know well and you can make them disappear. 2. It doesnt necessarily mean he has horrible form. I guess I have horrible form too if you look it that way. I wear heavy jeans when riding and I am not going to hang off the bike and drag knee with them. Sure the riding apparel is my choice but it doesnt mean I/he has horrible form.

L

lonesoldier84

you dont have to drag knees to corner hard. timing your steering action properly as well as making a quick steering action will prevent the need to lean as far as you think you might have to.

getting your weight over the proper side of the bike BEFORE the steering action will also yield more stable turns.

combining all of this will mean the only time you need to actually scrape your pegs is when you are riding like a god damned lunatic.

S

Spen

If your chicken strips are uneven then you are just cornering harder on right handers than left, personally I won't take left handers as hard because I fear coming off and going straight into on coming traffic, don't ask me why just my own little thing. Oh and as for getting your knee down, your generally quicker not getting your knee down tbh, Dunlop never got his knee down and he was QUICK.

S

SovietRobot

The left side on mine is wider than the right.
What I realize is that my confidence on left hand turns is a lot less than right hand turns.
Also I've found that the left peg touches down more easily than the right.

Leaning is all about confidence, it takes a lot of practice and determination.

S

Stumbles06

I've found the opposite to most of the above posts, I find left-handers much easier and more comfortable than right-handers. But then again, you guy's all ride on the wrong side of the road (apart from Spen), so I guess that's normal... lmao.

I wouldn't worry about it MNDZA, just ride YOUR style and stay upright.

:)

cbzdel

I favor left hand turns because my last bike which was really lowered would scrape the exhaust pipe if I took a hard right

A

abacall

As mentioned, it is normal to favor one side. You just have to work a bit more on the other side.
On normal roads, if you are riding hard enough to have no strips, you are not leaving yourself ANY margin for correction, and that puts you and others in a really bad spot. You need to have some room left for adverse road conditions, drifting cagers, animals, etc.

On twisty canyon roads however, I think it's fine. Riding to your limit on turns you can see through (and there is no traffic) only puts you in danger, and if that's something you can live with, it's your choice.
That's the only time I think it's ok to ride that hard on public roads; you know the road, there is NO traffic, and you're only endangering yourself.
Otherwise, keep it safe.

fz6rwolf

I've got probably an inch of chicken strip on both sides, and don't care that I have them:D

M

MarinaFazer

mmmm I haven't eaten chicken strips in a long time. Perhaps I'll eat mine...dangit, bike's in the shop! Looks like I have to find a chicken...in LA...and run it over with my Jeep.

xplodnstar

mmmm I haven't eaten chicken strips in a long time. Perhaps I'll eat mine...dangit, bike's in the shop! Looks like I have to find a chicken...in LA...and run it over with my Jeep.
Heading to Dynah's? Or Rosco's? :) You can come out my way and find some chickens. They're next to the cows.

K

knightrider

That's really weird. Sounds like a new tire is in order. Hope your looking far enough ahead in the turn if you're scrapping your pegs and that you trust the road conditions enough.

cbzdel

I just got back from riding my bike, and I was thinking about this post while I was out, HOW in the world did you scrape a foot peg? you had to of been at about a 15 degree angle

MNDZA

I just got back from riding my bike, and I was thinking about this post while I was out, HOW in the world did you scrape a foot peg? you had to of been at about a 15 degree angle
I took a sharp right turn at moderate speed.....moderate, not fast at all. I heard it scrape, kinda surprised me, and I checked later and you could see where the feeler scraped a little bit.

T

Tarzanman

If you are scraping parts then you need to improve your riding form.

S

staticghost

Well for me I only have about 1/8th of an inch left on each side. I used to like taking turns on the left side more that right but after practicing my turns on the right now I have no problems either side.
Best thing to do is just find a nice open parking lot and just practice your turns, left then right, and then slowly start shifting you weight on that particular side and as you shift you weight like whole but cheek or so or however you feel comfortable with then start putting more weight on you pegs and you will see that you will never scrape you foot pegs again you will be able to take turns a whole lot smoother with a lot more control.
It’s my second season now and I have dragged a knee only once so far couple days ago but am not trying to drag a knee in every turn. Practice and practice. I am not sure how long you had your bike or how many miles you have put on the tires so far but if I was you I would replace them.
Good luck riding.