U-Turns and Turns when taking a ramp

jocampo

Hi,

Trying to get some advice or feedback on the way I do or take turns before taking a ramp.

I am not new to riding, but coming from two Ninja 250, I've found turning with my new fz6r not being as easier as before, the Ninja was extremely nimble and light.

So, when I need to take a small ramp, let's say the garage, which has a 40 to 45 degrees inclination, I find myself a bit uncomfortable now. I usually park on the street when I get back from work. So if I don't run any errands, I prefer to keept the bike in the garage.

I turn the bike on. Make sure I'm on 1st gear and release clutch slowly, playing with clutch and gas, same as I do with my stick car. The thing is my car is on the ramp (left side), and wife's car is inside (right side) so I got to turn left, without hitting my car on the ramp, and then a bit right, after passing my car, while not going to slow. So the bike ends on the left side of the garage, if you're looking from outside the house.

I know sounds too stupid, but when I started riding 4 years ago, I felt just there with the Ninja, 'cause I went too slow and went down to the left, while I was trying to avoid my wife's car, which was inside, right side.

A similar situation but in movement is when I go to the closest Walmart. I'm on the rightmost lane and the ramp is also same side. I need to slow down and turn right to take the ramp, but has about 45 degrees, so I need to play with clutch and gas and turn right aggressively, to avoid hit cars exiting from Walmart.

Difficult to explain with words, but hope you get the point.

Any advice will be highly appreciated!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like you are having difficulties with slow speed maneuvering....if I am understanding what you wrote.

Remember that with slow speed maneuvers, leaning with the bike into the turn may only lead to a tip over. Instead, counter-balance your weight to the outside of the bike away from the turn and tip the bike over to the inside of the turn. Once you get comfortable with this technique, you should be able to maneuver the bike at slow speeds in some pretty tight places.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czm2EyxQslM&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLF50DEC83E1BCAF76"]97 Second Special: Counterbalancing - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

DragonBlu

Sorry,the best advice I can give is be careful. Just practice on small situations like that until you are more comfortable with the heavier bike. I don't know if there is a magic answer. :)

jocampo

It sounds like you are having difficulties with slow speed maneuvering....if I am understanding what you wrote.[/url]
Correct, but to be more clear, not U turns or regular left or right turns. My main issue is when I am going to take a left or right, and there is a ramp, like when I need to keep the bike in the garage.

On my Walmart's example, the ramp or entrance is on my right hand (two way ramp or exit) so I need to turn right tight enough that won't invade the opposite lane but that I won't drop the bike.

On the garage's example, the turn is on my left, but the bike is parked on the opposite lane, facing the wrong direction, 'cause is my home, you know. So I started the bike (left lane) and immediately turn left, but a bit wide to avoid my car on the ramp. Once on the ramp, keep turning left, to avoid wife's car inside (on the right) and turn right, then straight and I'm in.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure counter-balancing should help on the ramps as well. I know that's what I do when I'm in parking garages and need to make tight turns on the inclines/declines.

Bloke

Hang your arse off of the left of the bike, put full lock on right, keep the revs up, drag the back brake and balance :)

Oh and look up, in the direction you want to go, don't look at the ground or you'll put yourself there.

Head up, arse off, revs up, back brake, full lock, balance.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

e.blackadder

Head up, arse off, revs up, back brake, full lock, balance.
.. and you should be praying too!

Sometimes is hard to explain simple stuff!
Tight turn on a 45-degree incline ain't simple stuff. More of a stunt.

What Bloke said. If you've got skill, just look at where you want to go and nowhere else and trust the muscle memory to do the rest.

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

oldtouring b

adequate speed is important

Having a clear path between your cars, you should maintain your speed. Donot slow way down on a hill of any size. Balancing the bike becomes very difficult. If I understand clearly, I would swing out slightly on your street and then make your turn.Then increase my speed to climb the driveway and brake once inside the garage. You need to have the confidence in your bike. It can do some amazing things.. Good luck

yfz6r

Head to an empty parking lot and get real familiar with the weight and ergos of your bike.

Also, can you back the bike down your driveway or is the driveway uphill? I can drag my feet and go backwards very efficiently.

jocampo

Head to an empty parking lot and get real familiar with the weight and ergos of your bike.

Also, can you back the bike down your driveway or is the driveway uphill? I can drag my feet and go backwards very efficiently.
You mean, when leaving the garage in the morning, in neutral? Oh yes, I can.

The street is flat. The garage's ramp has like 40 to 45 degrees angle.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

findmadhav

I remember when practicing for my road test with my FZ6R, it is very important to use the throttle along with the rear brake at low speeds.

Next time when you are at low speeds, try to balance the bike by using the throttle along with the rear brake in tandem to avoid tripping over.

Last edited:

Detrich

^ dart pretty much covered the control aspects of things... but, i'll put in my .02 too...

for slow speed maneuvering, keep the RPM's slightly higher but absolutely steady. yes, rev it up just a little bit (2500+ rpm) but keep it even. feather the rear brake pedal to control your propulsion/ speed, and try to keep the clutch steady right at the friction release zone & hold it constant. do not pull on the front brake until you are ready to come to a full stop. this takes some practice, so give it time...

also:
- scan ahead, be confident, and make a committed decision as to what you're going to do. if u don't think u can make it up the parking ramp & between the two cars- or if your approach is off- then commit to stopping before going up the ramp & putting your feet & kickstand down and then pushing the bike in. there's no shame in that. (better than dropping the bike on you or your wife's car- that's for sure.)
- if you're committed to going up, prepare for it using the techniques listed above. also, line up the front of the bike as much as possible in a straight line. keep your eyes looking to where you want to go. do not fixate or panic by looking at the two cars or how narrow it looks. this will improve as you learn to split traffic. you just have to learn to gain confidence to look at where u want to go, follow thru, and not look side to side. otherwise, you'll panic and second guess yourself.
- practice in a parking lot or practice splitting traffic- but safely. go your own pace and don't do anything crazy. it will get easier.

:)

redwing-2001

^ dart pretty much covered the control aspects of things... but, i'll put in my .02 too...

for slow speed maneuvering, keep the RPM's slightly higher but absolutely steady. yes, rev it up just a little bit (2500+ rpm) but keep it even. feather the rear brake pedal to control your propulsion/ speed, and try to keep the clutch steady right at the friction release zone & hold it constant. do not pull on the front brake until you are ready to come to a full stop. this takes some practice, so give it time...

also:
- scan ahead, be confident, and make a committed decision as to what you're going to do. if u don't think u can make it up the parking ramp & between the two cars- or if your approach is off- then commit to stopping before going up the ramp & putting your feet & kickstand down and then pushing the bike in. there's no shame in that. (better than dropping the bike on you or your wife's car- that's for sure.)
- if you're committed to going up, prepare for it using the techniques listed above. also, line up the front of the bike as much as possible in a straight line. keep your eyes looking to where you want to go. do not fixate or panic by looking at the two cars or how narrow it looks. this will improve as you learn to split traffic. you just have to learn to gain confidence to look at where u want to go, follow thru, and not look side to side. otherwise, you'll panic and second guess yourself.
- practice in a parking lot or practice splitting traffic- but safely. go your own pace and don't do anything crazy. it will get easier.

:)
very well said!
look where you WANT to go
use friction zone (revs up a little)
drag back brake (no front)
practice, practice, practice

jocampo

Well, I've found is a psychological thing, I admit it. I did what you suggested: put the stand, relax and clean my mind. Someway, what happened years ago with my little Ninja is still in my mind.

I also found yesterday that maybe I was not revving enough, afraid of going too fast and hit wife's. I increased revs a bit and that actually helped.

I also noticed I was not seeing or turning my ahead towards the garage. It's impressive how natural the turn becomes after that.

Yes, pictures are a must. I'll try to take and upload one today.

Thanks a lot for all the tips so far!!!

Last edited:

redwing-2001

Well, I've found is a psychological thing, I admit it. I did what you suggested: put the stand, relax and clean my mind. Someway, what happened years ago with my little Ninja is still in my mind.

I also found yesterday that maybe I was not revving enough, afraid of going too fast and hit wife's. I increased revs a bit and that actually helped.

I also noticed I was not seeing or turning my ahead towards the garage. It's impressive how natural the turn becomes after that.

do some research on "friction zone" which is the area in the travel of the clutch lever where the clutch starts to transmit power to the rear wheel and ends just before the clutch becomes fully engaged. The 6R has a wet clutch so you won't hurt or wear out anything. Stay in the friction zone (you will need to get your rpm's up a bit) and you can control the bike much better at slow speed. I have a similar driveway to the one you are explaining and use the friction zone every day and I am able to plant the motorcyle in a very small space using this technique. Practice. Look where you want to go. Friction Zone.

Detrich

you definitely don't want to be "feeling or fishing around" for the optimal drag/ friction zone at the moment right before you go onto the ramp. it needs to already be "locked in" so that you're just feathering the rear brake and at the right speed to go up the ramp in one swift motion.

so, you need to get the bike into the right rpm, clutch + rear brake drag/ friction zone BEFORE you approach the ramp. that means give yourself ample time- ie at least 50-75 feet (or whatever you feel comfortable) BEFORE you approach the ramp to be in the right speed and pace.

also, don't go too slow and don't go too fast. if u go too slow, the bike's gonna feel wobbly. if u go too fast, then u might panic or be tempted to over apply the brake. and, u want to avoid those.

find a moderate, constant speed that is both stable and quick enough to get u up the ramp in one swoop. and, again, keep your eyes looking at where u want to stop and not side-to-side. but, of course, u need to pre-scan the path and make sure the opening is wide enough to get thru tho... :)