Transport and tieing down?

bobski

I tried the search feature for transport and "tie down" but got nothing. I want to transport my FZ6R in the back of my pick-up that has tie down connectors in all 4 corner posts of the bed. Can anyone shed some light on things like the best places to attach the tie-down straps front and back, better to have the bike straight in the bed (with or without a chuck?) or wedge the front wheel into a front corner, length and type of tie-down straps recommended, etc.. Thanks folks.
BTW - if someone knows how to make the search feature show some results for this topic please let me know. I have read the thread heavily promoting the use of this feature, but I've tried the search feature several times with VERY little success so far.

Sage

when transporting, I've tied down the front end using a rig like this Bar Harness and tightened down a fair amount until the front was compressed quite a bit and evenly. Then just tightened a good amount using the straps connected to the rear passenger pegs since that is the only place to really tie the bike down it the rear w/o scratching something.

I used ratchet straps just fyi

Sparkxx1

if you can't use the search feature on our site, because it's being stupid, this is what I do. open up a Google tab or window. Type in FZ6R forum after that you just put down tie down, or anything else you want to search. Works better then ours imho.

Try it you get...

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/best-way-tie-down-19530/

then on that thread you can see toofless post...

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f88/towing-18826/?highlight=secure

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f13/installed-wheel-chock-18878/?highlight=trailer

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/trailer-17388/?highlight=trailer

Good luck with the towing. I have to do the same and it was a matter of time before I had to search!

Heineken

Elite Member

blkbrd

Elite Member

yamarx1

I tiedown the front handle bars and use this rear wheel tie down that I made at work, I trailered about 300 miles with know issues. this one is my 3rd prototype but I would like to do a few more tweaks yet.

Attachments

rahuljp

BTW - if someone knows how to make the search feature show some results for this topic please let me know. I have read the thread heavily promoting the use of this feature, but I've tried the search feature several times with VERY little success so far.[/QUOTE]

Bobski... I dont have much info on the transport, but with regards to the search feature, similar to what sparxx mentioned, you can go to google, and then type your search question, followed by site:www.600cc.org. Example, Tie down site:www.600cc.org

By doing that, you limit the search to only our forum, but it will search without any restrictions...

hope that helps...:thumbup:

bobski

I agree with stabilizing the wheels under the bike somehow, good advise. I really like the idea of a chock or even something home-made from plywood & 2x4 would probably work. I might try fabricating something and if I do I'll post pics.

Sparkxx1

Leave the bike in gear and add a rubber chock to the wheels, I think I like that seat belt Idea. Did you make the whole trailer yourself or did you buy it?

iSpoolin

Thats the only time i've ever had mine tied down. The day I got it home haha. The geico rags are there to keep the strap from rubbing the bike. Just compressed the strap until the front end of the bike as compressed as possible. Had the bike on its kickstand.

beefcake morris

I just got done trailering my girl's fz6r and my Drz 400 sm in my open 5x8 trailer from FL to NC.

There is plenty of room, but I did use a Condor Wheel Chock for her bike. Then I used two soft ties from the bottom of the lower tripple tree and 1 strap on the rear wheel to prevent the rear from moving side to side.

I only had to use two towels one for the angle I was using on the front strap and one for the rear rim. I can post a picture if you would like.

There is also room for her bike and my gixer 1000, but I am using the pitbull trailer system for the gixer.

redwing-2001

I just got done trailering my girl's fz6r and my Drz 400 sm in my open 5x8 trailer from FL to NC.

There is plenty of room, but I did use a Condor Wheel Chock for her bike. Then I used two soft ties from the bottom of the lower tripple tree and 1 strap on the rear wheel to prevent the rear from moving side to side.

I only had to use two towels one for the angle I was using on the front strap and one for the rear rim. I can post a picture if you would like.

There is also room for her bike and my gixer 1000, but I am using the pitbull trailer system for the gixer.
the above is really the best way to tie down any motorcycle.
be careful using the handlebars as a tie-down point - they can bend with that much stress and pressure. Also, don't compress the front shocks too much. You want them to do their thing - same as riding down the road. Too tight and you will damage the front end. Also, when transporting, never put any weight on the side stand. All the bouncing and stress from tieing the bike down could damage it.
some good references:
http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/motorcycle-tie-down-procedure.htm
a little different approach:
Tie Down 101 by Mike Cecchini

DarkTemplars

I normally ride around with my dirt bike in the back of my truck. I just keep mine tied down with a couple of straps near the bar mounts and a strap to keep the back tire from moving around. While I don't have the bike resting on the kick, I do lean it over to that side so if it does go over, it hits the kick instead of falling all the way over. I've actually had a strap pop off a couple of times and the kick caught the bike and kept it from falling over.