Too low?

GHOSTWITTHEMOST

Oil lights been coming on. Checked oil. It's not full but lot low either. Could it be the cold weather? It comes on usually after about 1 min of riding, then goes off after about 1 mile or so. I'm also within my 3000 oil change. Thanks for any help!

Andy

Same here

Mine has done the same. Filled to full on dipstick and it didnt come back on. Was right before the 8K oil change. Owners manual said it might happed due to acceleration angles etc. It is level not pressure. No big deal but it freaked me out first time I saw it. Thought it was a pressure problem.

D

Deleted member 9794

It's the weather, mine did the same last year. As it gets colder it will eventually come on more and more (especially as you lean into a curve). Go ahead and add enough oil to get it up to the full line and that'll solve the issue.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Andy

Level not pressure.

Let us know if that fixes it. The light is triggered by oil pressure, and low oil pressure is bad. Keep us posted.
I guess I will respond again. Owners manual page 4-2. Oil level warning light. This warning light comes on if the engine oil level is low.

Warning light will do bulb check when key turned on......bla bla

"Tip: Even if the oil levle is sufficient, the warning light may flicker when riding on a slope or during sudden acceleration or deceleration, but this in not a malfunction.

also equiped with a self-diadnosis device. If a problem is detected in the oil level detection circuit, the following cycle will be repeated untill the malfunction is corrected. oil level warn light will flash 10 times in 2.5 seconds.

If this was a Idiot light for oil pressures the bikes would be toast.

Toping off oil did correct mine. It was also in the safe range just close to add mark.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Andy

My bad. I've done some reading, and it's a Yamaha thing, and my 6R is my first of the breed. I stand corrected. :) Honestly, who's ever heard of an oil light that isn't related to pressure? Unless one rides a Yamaha, LOL.
I thought the same thing. Was thinking first and last Yamaha when it came on @ 4000 miles. Shut it down checked oil, restarted and light was off. Went home watching for the light, grabed manual to read up before I called dealer. Found info in manual and then had to apologize to fz6r for all the nasty things I said riding home. 8200 miles since March and still love it.

With all the posts from members listing high mileages with no troubles should have know it wasn't serious. Still not cool to look down at speed after merging onto highway, pull hard thru the gears and see a warning light.

buzzbomb

Elite Member