Tire Hugger idea

my bad i was meaning the fiber glass one
Oh, gotcha, yeah. And I was one session away from at least having it cut down to closer to what it will look like in the end. As it is, I'm stuck in the bed most of the time (and the wheelchair for just minutes at a time), so who knows when I'll get back to it. But thanks.

Y

yellowfz

Do you think that it would help promote your product if I had you make one for Alice? Just think...you can say that it is endorsed by the Mod Whore. I really like that dude, what kind of $$ you thinkin for one of those? Would someone be able to customize the shape of the "Water Guard", or the yellow piece for lack of better technical terms. I would love to see you do well with this...highly professional looking.
Not sure on what to ask , as SnSL stated the Economy has tanked right now .
Yes the "Water Guard" or "Splash Guard" (good labeling FZRblack ) can be modded to your liking , any design that will fit in a minimum of 8"x10" (actually 7" is the width of the tire and all that is needed , 2 Allen socket stainless steel bolts attach it ) , it can be larger but that is the minimum of course I can mod to a smaller size if needed .
PM me and we will converse .

Last edited by a moderator:

JSP

Super Moderator
Really like that yellowfz...

Some prices right now on other huggers on this link:

motorcycle splash gaurd - Google Search

Depending on the amount of money and labor it costs you to make these... seems a fair price would be in the $50-$75 range if you were to sell em.

A Different Animal

You have to keep in mind that those huggers that you're linking us to are a totally different kind of device than what yellowfz has made. This new kind of rear-front hugger/splashguard not only serves a different purpose (protects the rider & undertail versus just the rear shock that a standard hugger protects), his is made of solid metal, not cheap ABS, fiberglass, or fancy-schmancy overpriced carbon fiber. And yellowfz's is, by necessity, handmade. My guess is that the "magic" price point for his device would be somewhere north of a hundred bucks. Personally, I'd pay around $150 if there was one that fit whatever bike I had at the time. Still, as a handmade piece, even that price may not be worth his time -- even with practice, repetition, and building several at once; the forming, welding, and painting has to take a few hours to go from raw materials to finished product. What do you guess, yellowfz?

JSP

Super Moderator
You have to keep in mind that those huggers that you're linking us to are a totally different kind of device than what yellowfz has made. This new kind of rear-front hugger/splashguard not only serves a different purpose (protects the rider & undertail versus just the rear shock that a standard hugger protects), his is made of solid metal, not cheap ABS, fiberglass, or fancy-schmancy overpriced carbon fiber. And yellowfz's is, by necessity, handmade. My guess is that the "magic" price point for his device would be somewhere north of a hundred bucks. Personally, I'd pay around $150 if there was one that fit whatever bike I had at the time. Still, as a handmade piece, even that price may not be worth his time -- even with practice, repetition, and building several at once; the forming, welding, and painting has to take a few hours to go from raw materials to finished product. What do you guess, yellowfz?
I think you are right... I was originally thinking right about $100 + but then started thinking full out production line pump out price for some reason. It is definitely worth that. They would all be custom and handmade like you said...

qnoisx

It sucks about your accident, Stranger. Your hugger was coming along nicely. Yellowfz, yours is pretty sweet too. If I had that one I would totally mount my license plate to it. Right now my plate is mounted to the swingarm on one of those curved brackets. How heavy is the whole thing?

Looks good!

Oh, Crap, a License Plate Mount!

It sucks about your accident, Stranger.
Yep, pretty much. Suffering all sorts of residual ailments and pains now, too. Twice in as many days I've had some weird lower chest pain that just paralyzes me with pain. And last Thursday, the only-just-sore neck turned into what feels like full-on whiplash, where if I even thought about looking anywhere other than straight my neck would just explode in pain. Enough of that crap...

Your hugger was coming along nicely. Yellowfz, yours is pretty sweet too. If I had that one I would totally mount my license plate to it. Right now my plate is mounted to the swingarm on one of those curved brackets. How heavy is the whole thing?
Funny, being able to mount a license plate was just about as important to me as guarding my back from backsplash... at least that's how I was thinking at the beginning of all this. Then, once I started sculpting the clay, I decided a plate mounted to the smooth fender would just ruin the aesthetics, so I abandoned that function. So, as far as mounting the rear plate, I'm pretty much back to the beginning; however, I am jacking up the tail with 2" risers, so I think I'll have plenty of clearance to mount something like I did on the R1 -- a spring-cushioned plate mount that attaches right under the new tail piece.

I know you were asking Yellowfz about the weight of his guard, but regarding mine, I think it's just ounces -- about as heavy as a standard ABS rear hugger. And once I trim if within an inch of functionality, it'll weigh that much less -- that's my I guess anyway. Lightness and sculpt-ability are the two big advantages of working with fiberglass over metal; however, in my humble opinion, metal has the advantage of looking better, being more rigid, and just adding more to the overall perceived value of a bike than anything fabricated out of fiberglass.

Y

yellowfz

SnSL is correct it does take some time to build one of these , steel is more rigid than fiberglass or plastic , the piece does not move much at all when riding , of course I have not been able to observe the piece going down the road , no one I know is tall enough/skilled enough to ride my bike while I ride another one to watch , so going on wife's observations while following me .
It does not weight that much , less than what we take off when we remove the gaudy factory finder extension .
I looked at a old picture of my bike and the factory finder extension and what is now , wow what a difference .
I was thinking somewhere around 120 to 130 , sound fair ?

Y

yellowfz

Yep, pretty much. Suffering all sorts of residual ailments and pains now, too. Twice in as many days I've had some weird lower chest pain that just paralyzes me with pain. And last Thursday, the only-just-sore neck turned into what feels like full-on whiplash, where if I even thought about looking anywhere other than straight my neck would just explode in pain. Enough of that crap...

Funny, being able to mount a license plate was just about as important to me as guarding my back from backsplash... at least that's how I was thinking at the beginning of all this. Then, once I started sculpting the clay, I decided a plate mounted to the smooth fender would just ruin the aesthetics, so I abandoned that function. So, as far as mounting the rear plate, I'm pretty much back to the beginning; however, I am jacking up the tail with 2" risers, so I think I'll have plenty of clearance to mount something like I did on the R1 -- a spring-cushioned plate mount that attaches right under the new tail piece.

I know you were asking Yellowfz about the weight of his guard, but regarding mine, I think it's just ounces -- about as heavy as a standard ABS rear hugger. And once I trim if within an inch of functionality, it'll weigh that much less -- that's my I guess anyway. Lightness and sculpt-ability are the two big advantages of working with fiberglass over metal; however, in my humble opinion, metal has the advantage of looking better, being more rigid, and just adding more to the overall perceived value of a bike than anything fabricated out of fiberglass.
Yeah the after pains of a wreck , they will move all around your body , you will hurt in places you though would never hurt .
Can't wait for the finished hugger .

Y

yellowfz

It sucks about your accident, Stranger. Your hugger was coming along nicely. Yellowfz, yours is pretty sweet too. If I had that one I would totally mount my license plate to it. Right now my plate is mounted to the swingarm on one of those curved brackets. How heavy is the whole thing?

Looks good!
Yeah , never though about that that you could mount your plate there , which you could very easily .
It weighs less than the ugly factory finder extender we have , I did not weigh it unfortunately , will weigh when I get a chance .

Fender Art

A motorcycle builder friend of mine forwarded me these pics of another builder's Triumph Speed Triple project where he hand-built his own rear splash guard. Looks stunning, but check out the angles -- it doesn't look like the fender is long enough (at top) to keep the rider dry. My friend grabbed this from the internet, so he can't ask the guy about its practicality.

Attachments

Y

yellowfz

A motorcycle builder friend of mine forwarded me these pics of another builder's Triumph Speed Triple project where he hand-built his own rear splash guard. Looks stunning, but check out the angles -- it doesn't look like the fender is long enough (at top) to keep the rider dry. My friend grabbed this from the internet, so he can't ask the guy about its practicality.
Pretty awesome , great minds think alike . :D
Yeah it doesn't look like it would keep water off the rider at all , I can say from playing with this one that where I have it placed it will shield the FE with just license plate attached , for that it works perfect .
Almost looks to close to the tire though doesn't it .
Do you know what it is composed of ?

French take on English Bike

The fabricator is apparently a 27-year-old graphic designer from France. Here is his Facebook link:

IMPOZ - Wall | Facebook

And here is a blurb about the materials used:

"... crafted from carbon fiber with incredible detail. (The fenders, for example, were made from molds taken from the tires, to ensure a perfect fit.)"

Y

yellowfz

The fabricator is apparently a 27-year-old graphic designer from France. Here is his Facebook link:

IMPOZ - Wall | Facebook

And here is a blurb about the materials used:

"... crafted from carbon fiber with incredible detail. (The fenders, for example, were made from molds taken from the tires, to ensure a perfect fit.)"
I wish I knew how to work with carbon fiber, for that its what I would have used .
Even fiberglass would have sufficed.
Found this , http://www.impoz.com/#/studio/ look at the Ducati , something looks real familiar on it .
Sent using OG Droid.

Last edited by a moderator:

qnoisx

That Triple looks sweet, but he would need a full fender to keep his back dry. But I doubt a bike like that would be ridden during anything but perfect weather...or ridden onto a trailer to carry to a show. Definitely not a touring or commuting bike, like I have mine setup.

Yellowfz, if you decide to make some more fenders, I'd be interested in one. While it be cool to make one myself, I suck at doing mods. They take me forever to complete and I end up not riding the bike cause it's in pieces. I would want to put my license plate on it though. I can stick a led spotlight on the bottom of my hard case frame to shine on the plate.

Found this , impoz Studio look at the Ducati , something looks real familiar on it.
Could not figure out how to navigate through this site to find any motorcycle, much less the Ducati -- just lots of car and poseur model pics. That's the problem with so many "artist's" websites, they make them so fancy looking that they are nearly impossible to navigate. Maybe you can grab a pic from it and post it.