Ticket to Ride

RedDeadRaven

I went to the Kawasaki "Ticket to Ride" event yesterday and got to demo a few cycles. I've been planning to trade in the FZ6R for a GSX-R750 in a few months but I've also wanted to ride a liter bike to see if I'd be happier with that than the 750. What I went there to ride was the ZX-10R, but I also rode the Ninja 1000 and the ZX-14R. First of all, if you've never been to a demo event like this (I hadn't before yesterday) we got a nice 30 min long ride along a well varied route - a bit of twisty riding (or what counts for it in OK), a few rough back roads, and a few miles of highway. So, you actually have some time to get accustomed to the bike to see if you like it.

I rode the Ninja 1000 first. Its kind of a sport touring bike like the 6R. I only rode it to kill some time before my other scheduled rides. I really felt at home on it at first. It was comfortable with a riding position similar to the 6R. But, toward the end of the ride, my upper back started getting sore. Thats when I realized that the riding position was just different enough that it left my back hunched over slightly in a different (worse) way than the 6R. After talking to the other riders, we came to the conclusion that the odd angle is caused by the handle bar width and position. Also, it had good power down low, but that power fell off around 8-9K RPM and it got "buzzy" up top.

Next came the ZX-14. It has the SS riding position, but its not quite as aggressive as the 10R and was actually fairly comfortable. Obviously, being a 1352cc monster, the word "flickable" doesn't apply. But what it lacks in agility it makes up for in power. Redline comes at about 12k and it pulls hard all the way. At one point after leaving a red light, I was up to about 8K in 1st gear and rolled on the throttle a little harder (just rolled, didn't yank it) and the front wheel left the pavement. Yes, twisting the throttle on that beast is guaranteed to put a grin on your face :D Unfortunately for me and Kawasaki, its a fugly-ass bike (like its Hayabusa cousin).

Lastly I finally got to ride the ZX-10R, which was the goal of this little adventure. Before I get to that, let me expand a bit on the quality of these rides. Each ride consisted of 10 bikes - 2 of which were Kawi reps (1 in front, 1 in back). The official rules that they went over between each and every ride included: no passing of Kawi reps or any other rider, no riding side-by-side, no wheelies or stoppies, and obey all traffic laws at all times. Luckily for us the Kawi reps were up for some "spirited" riding ;). The curvy (I've decided that the word "twisty" doesn't really apply) portion at the beginning of the ride was easily the most fun. It was through an industrial area on a Sunday morning with very little traffic for a few miles over a relatively new stretch of road with a posted speed limit of 40mph. But the spirited riding of the Kawi riders easily reached triple-digit speeds. This section was a BLAST on the ZX-14! Unfortunately, while I was on the 10R, I was stuck in the back half of the pack behind a chicken-$#!% rider which kept me from really even getting into the power band:rant:. Not cool. BTW, the power band starts about 8K on the 10R (redline was 14-15k-ish, I think) and at 8-9K in 1st gear is probably somewhere between 60-70mph. So, on this ride, the only time I was ever out of first was when we were cruising along a long back road and on the highway. Accelerating onto the highway was the highlight of this ride, but it happens quickly. The riding position was more aggressive than the 14 and while it wouldn't be comfortable for a long ride, it wasn't as bad as the Ninja. For me, the least comfortable part was my hips and the tops of my hamstrings because of the high pegs. Still, I felt like it was something that I could get used to with some time on the bike. Also, the 10R does NOT like low rpm's. I stalled it twice at the beginning of the ride for one because the clutch engages more quickly than I'm used to (it started to engage after barely starting to release the lever) and two the engine needed to be revving 3-4K when it engaged. Not a big deal, but it took me twice to figure it out:eek:. Overall, I really liked it. The power is addicting and imho the 10R is the best looking of the (Japanese) liter bikes (except for the ugly exhaust, wish it were under the seat like the R1). Also, the ZX-14 both operated and rode more smoothly all around, most notably the throttle was incredibly smooth. Both the 10R and the 14 accelerate very hard but with the true power not kicking in until 8k, that is also both the best and worst parts of these bikes. All that power is basically wasted on street riding. When a bike will hit 80mph in 1st gear you run out of room for fun VERY quickly. Now that I've experienced this first hand, I'm mostly content to choose the 750 over a liter bike.

Now let me say this...I've owned my FZ6R for over a year (I'm more interested in the looks of an SS than the power), and NOT ONCE have I thought that this bike was slow or under-powered...until I rode it home yesterday. Yes, I know its not even close to being a fair comparison, but I absolutely loathed the entire ride home. Twisting the throttle on the big bikes reminded me of Wile E. Coyote sitting on a big red rocket and lighting it only to have it take off and leave him hanging in mid air with nothing but the handle bars in his hand. Getting onto the highway on the 6R, I felt like I might as well have been peddling!!! Hopefully, a few days off the bike will give me a reset, because right now I hate my FZ6R. Honestly, I feel like I've been robbed of the joy of riding a bike that I loved.:(

Last edited:
You really ride like a raging maiac on side streets? Come on, go ride a moped for a day. That will cure it. BTW if you jump off a liter bike and on the gixxer750 in the same day it will also not impress you as much.

Sorry you hate your own taste in bikes, you did pick it, you did buy it, LMAO!! You have to learn to take things in perspective, you should know that this bike is a street bike, those are almost double the size, and are geared more for the people who like to go crazy on the street, if you are into that much speed go to the track. I will let you ride my aprilia, it will have you hating this bike as well, I like both. For what they are.

You'll be ok, go poop, eat something good, and go for a ride.

I felt the same wey after riding the Street Triple. It is not 1k bike, but is as capable or even more capable than an ss 600cc bike. All in perspective, I love my 6R, but would love to have both of them for what they are.

You really ride like a raging maiac on side streets?
1) Use spell check
2) Do I? No. Have I ever done something stupid on my bike? Of course.
3) In my entire life of driving and riding, I've probably spent less than 10 seconds combined over 100mph.
4) Although the media has sensationalized the words "over 100mph", it's not, actually, some crazy, uncontrollable speed that only the insane dare.
5) Since it's the other drivers that bikers have to worry about, is 100mph on an empty side street more dangerous than 60mph in highway traffic? Not even close.
6) I clearly stated that the power of a liter bike is too much for the street and that I was more interested in the 750.
7) I also clearly stated that I was more interested in the 750 for the looks of a super sport and not the power.
8) I know that its unfair to compare a liter bike to an FZ6R, and I actually acknowledged that in my OP.
9) I don't hate my own taste in bikes. I don't regret buying my FZ6R and didn't come close to even implying such a thing. I was clearly talking about the power compared to the FZ6R. (See 8 above for more on that comparison.)
10) Ride a moped? Who rides a moped?:don'tknow:

11) And maybe you should let me ride your Aprilia. Sounds like it's been deprived of throttle.

No worries, some separation just makes reading it a lot easier.

edit: Good read. Demo sounds like it was a blast. For the same reasons you stated, I am scared to really ride anything much bigger than a 750 just because I know I will like it too much. And let's be honest, I really dont need to go 180mph. haha.

Last edited:
I fixed up a gsxr 750 for a friend for free (he buys parts). In return i get to take it home and ride it Mon-Tues. I do like the motor and for the first few weeks it was cool but I've ended up not liking it. I actually prefer to split lanes on the Gsxr over the FZ6R. I'm still considering a Street Triple or FZ8 but I still think of my FZ6R as a perfect bike for me. When I go to the track I can rent a BMW 1000RR which is really the only place where I would want to use that bike.

thanks for the write up
really nice to get someones opinion and review of other bikes out there.

BTW - I did see a guy riding a moped yesterday, had to do a double take

I know what you're feeling because my two best friends and I like to hang out at parking lot some nights. My friend recently got an r6 and I rode it last night.

Once you get to 11k that thing is a beast, it was one of the best feelings ever, but it was too much for me right now. I kind of understand why people say the 6r is under powered, but I bought it to use as a daily commuter.

I took it(fz6r) to NYC all of yesterday and it was just so flickable and agile, I think more agile than the r6. Sure the r6 wants to roll into turns but I don't think it's a good bike to ride around everyday.

Not only is its speed a bit excessive, but the handling leaves something to be desired for me, because I'm so used to squeezing between traffic and stuff.

Later on I will be purchasing a 600cc SS bike, I'm leaning toward the CBR600RR since I don't like waiting until 11k rpm for the hard acceleration of the r6. I'm going to leave it for the track though, where it can shine and I can use it to it's full potential. Must be frustrating to ride a SS on the street when it always wants to go triple digits...

Must be frustrating to ride a SS on the street when it always wants to go triple digits...

That is one reason I do like the R6. It is very tame down low rpms and is very easy, light and very nimble for city riding. But when you want to crack it open on the twisties, you have warp speed power :D

That is one reason I do like the R6. It is very tame down low rpms and is very easy, light and very nimble for city riding. But when you want to crack it open on the twisties, you have warp speed power :D

exactly.... the same is true of my zx-6r.. I ride everyday... city, hi-way, twist, and find it very easy to ride... as for the triple digit comment, that want/need comes from your right hand not the bike...

exactly.... the same is true of my zx-6r.. I ride everyday... city, hi-way, twist, and find it very easy to ride... as for the triple digit comment, that want/need comes from your right hand not the bike...

Damnit I'm trying to keep myself fro getting a SS anytime soon :rolleyes: I'm just making excuses for myself to keep on the fz6r for at least 2-3 years. =D

Thanks for the write up, especially the ergo concerns on the Ninja 1000, something to look out for.

I think all the powerband concerns of the SS's relate to the general nature of an I-4, they seem to make great power up top which can make it difficult to get the amount of power you want at each given moment. You get a 600ss and enter a corner in the wrong gear and it won't pull hard enough at exit, then you get a 1000ss and it goes too fast for the streets when up in the Revs.

I actually find this part of riding entertaining, not frustrating, I think if our bikes flicked into the corners with perfect precision despite rider error or inexperience, and pulled out of the corners perfectly in the powerband every time, we may become bored with it. No, I ride a few hours and may hit 100's of curves, some are not good curves, some I make mistakes, but then on a few, I hit it just right - leaning inside the bike, rolling on the throttle, with a great pull and finish - that's what I take away from each ride, that's enough, and get home safe.

Buying a SS does not mean every ride will now become exhilarating, you must appreciate the nuiances of riding to keep yourself interested, more power does typically result in a big grin, but handling, feel, sound, and looks mean more to me.

For example, I still liked my Honda Prelude more than my 350Z, you could thrash it, sounded great, and looked pretty good - the 350Z would get loose and didn't sound as racey (from the inside), and would be going way too fast in short order.

I think a really nice 600SS is all most of will ever need for the streets, and the FZ6R is a great trainer - I am gonna get a 600SS at some point, and damned the powerband concerns and ergos, it's a race bike and will demand everything from you to get maximum enjoyment, and that's exactly how I want it.

Well, I rode my FZ6R this morning for the first time since Sunday (demo day). It felt much better than it did after getting off the liter bikes. I still love it. Still, I'm pretty much sold on the 750. I 'd rather have the 750 over a 600 for 2 reasons - 1) I don't want to regret not getting more out of my upgrade and 2) from what I've read, the extra power of the 750 makes up for the midrange power that the 600s lack. But I have to admit, the white GSX-R600 is pretty sweet lookin'. The local Suzuki dealership has a new '11 750 that they've already put Yoshi frame sliders, FE kit, and full Yoshi carbon fiber exhaust on it and they only increased the price by $1K. Its a pretty good deal. I'd like to pay off my car before I upgrade the bike....but I'm not sure how long I can hold out ;)

cool, yeah my dream would be to keep the FZ6R and get a 600SS as well, then I would have the best of both worlds.

Somehow I don't think my wife will agree to two bikes, though :(

You know the Suzuki website has the 1.9% for five years offer on both the 600 and 750, very tempting indeed.

Last edited:

Back