this got me thinkin

S

shreveport1

hedmisten
handegraphix.com[quote: KimL]That is true, it´s the same bike and it´s very easy to change the 78 hk version into the 98 hk version. I have the 78 hk version and have changed it into 98 hk, only took about a minute. The limiter is on the throttle as Toympas sad.

Hope i can explain this so you understand since my first language isn´t english, but i will give it a try.

If you look down onto the engine under the gastank on the left side and move the throttle back and forward you see a wheel that turns this wheel holds the throttle cabel. If you look at this wheel you will see two stops, one that will only make you turn the throttle about a quarter. If you look further back on this wheel you see another stop that will make you turn the throttle even more. This is the original stop that is used on the S2 version. If you just bend away the first stop you will be able to turn the throttle all the way and you will be able to use all the 98 hks of the enginge, it´s as easy as that. So if you don´t want ABS brakes on your bike and can live with having the old instumentation and not the new one from the FZ1 then there is no need to buy the S2 version of this bike since it´s so easy to change the 78 hk version.

We have a motorcycle magazine here in Sweden that also has looked into this bike in their last number and they verified that Yamaha has only made this modification to the bike to get it to 78 hk. This was the fastest and cheapest way for them to do it.

Hope everybody understand what i tried to explain .[/quote:KimL]

..................................................................... I wonder if this is what they did to the new fz6r???? would be realy cool to pick up 25hp by bending a tab!!!:Flash:

Wolfman

hedmisten
handegraphix.com[quote: KimL]That is true, it´s the same bike and it´s very easy to change the 78 hk version into the 98 hk version. I have the 78 hk version and have changed it into 98 hk, only took about a minute. The limiter is on the throttle as Toympas sad.

Hope i can explain this so you understand since my first language isn´t english, but i will give it a try.

If you look down onto the engine under the gastank on the left side and move the throttle back and forward you see a wheel that turns this wheel holds the throttle cabel. If you look at this wheel you will see two stops, one that will only make you turn the throttle about a quarter. If you look further back on this wheel you see another stop that will make you turn the throttle even more. This is the original stop that is used on the S2 version. If you just bend away the first stop you will be able to turn the throttle all the way and you will be able to use all the 98 hks of the enginge, it´s as easy as that. So if you don´t want ABS brakes on your bike and can live with having the old instumentation and not the new one from the FZ1 then there is no need to buy the S2 version of this bike since it´s so easy to change the 78 hk version.

We have a motorcycle magazine here in Sweden that also has looked into this bike in their last number and they verified that Yamaha has only made this modification to the bike to get it to 78 hk. This was the fastest and cheapest way for them to do it.

Hope everybody understand what i tried to explain .[/quote:KimL]

..................................................................... I wonder if this is what they did to the new fz6r???? would be realy cool to pick up 25hp by bending a tab!!!:Flash:

If your referring to the difference in HP figures between a FZ6 and the engine donor bike R6, then unfortuneatly, this aint the case, different cams for a start.

:thumbup:

S

shreveport1

If your referring to the difference in HP figures between a FZ6 and the engine donor bike R6, then unfortuneatly, this aint the case, different cams for a start.

No the qoute I posted above was to( J man) about the difference in the fazers.I don,t know how to put the link in here too the old thread I read this in but it was about him goin to the dyno machine his fz6 was the 78hp version,the difference in the 98hp and the 78hp fazers was only a tab on the throttle cable cam that stop it from goin full throttle.It got me thinkin what if this is how they reduced the hp in the new fz6r.:D

Cloggy

No the quote I posted above was to( J man) about the difference in the fazers.I don,t know how to put the link in here too the old thread I read this in but it was about him goin to the dyno machine his fz6 was the 78hp version,the difference in the 98hp and the 78hp fazers was only a tab on the throttle cable cam that stop it from goin full throttle.It got me thinkin what if this is how they reduced the hp in the new fz6r.:D
The new FZ6R is redesigned, although the basics is from a R6 the head is totally new, which also gives it more torque but a lower top hp. So unfortunately a conversion would be a bit more complicated.

Quote "Derived from the FZ6's engine, the FZ6R's inline-four acquires new crankcases in order to use a pull rod clutch release mechanism with a higher leverage ratio for lower lever effort. The camshafts and cylinder heads were reconfigured for a more flexible and torquey power delivery, with single intake-valve springs to reduce parasitic losses, and with a larger airbox and tapered inlet ports to improve cylinder filling at lower revs."
FZ6R

J

Jedi

I read this thread before, but my understanding was it's the restriction method used in the UK to limit the Fazer to 33bhp if the rider is on a restricted A2 motorcycle licence?

S

shreveport1

we need someone with the new fz6r to take a look in there and see whats goin on with the throtle cam before this is swept under the rug don,t y'all agree?I know it's been redisgned but it,s still a yamaha I-4 that's capable of producing ridiculous power.:cheer:

fstrthan_uthink

As an FZ6R owner, I can tell you there's absolutely nothing preventing the FZ6R (the U.S. version anyway) from running at WOT (well, except the rev-limiter, which I don't plan on approaching any time soon). As Cloggy mentioned, the engine has been redesigned for more torque, at the expense of a little HP. Would I like 98HP in my FZ6R? Of course :thumbup: but 78 is more than plenty for commuting, especially with nice low-end pull. Besides, I'm sure there will be a Power Commander for it eventually, for those trying to extract maximum HP from their FZ6R.

M

mastakilla

This is in fact true. The 2007 FZ6 comes in 2 flavours, the 98hp and 78hp version. The 98hp is actually very different from the 2006 (new display, calipers, seat, fairing....) but the 78hp is actually a 2006 model with the above mentioned modification.

Don't know if the same goes for US bikes, or the FZ6R, but it does for European bikes.

Wolfman

As an FZ6R owner, I can tell you there's absolutely nothing preventing the FZ6R (the U.S. version anyway) from running at WOT (well, except the rev-limiter, which I don't plan on approaching any time soon). As Cloggy mentioned, the engine has been redesigned for more torque, at the expense of a little HP. Would I like 98HP in my FZ6R? Of course :thumbup: but 78 is more than plenty for commuting, especially with nice low-end pull. Besides, I'm sure there will be a Power Commander for it eventually, for those trying to extract maximum HP from their FZ6R.
Would be interesting to see how much more HP a power commander, a n aftermarket exhaust, and a dyno run could bring, with extra torque, it would be nice grunty ride, maybe.

At what RPM does the FZ6R start to generate "decent" grunt as a matter of interest?

G

Gilo-FZ6

i would be interested to see the design of any aftermarket exhaust for the FZ6R..its gotta be cheaper too..only one can

grommit

I'd really like to see an FZ6, FZ6R and an R6 (just for fun) put on the same dyno and the results overlay'd, that would be interesting.

I keep reading that the FZ6R has more torque, but according to Yamaha it has less, peak torque does occur lower down but at a lower value (59.7 Nm @ 8,500 rpm Vs 63.1 Nm @ 10,000 rpm) The dyno graph would show best how that torque occurs across the rev range and how they compared especially at the FZ6Rs peak.:thumbup:

V

vdbergj1

In South Africa we've got a GR8 bike mag, 2Wheels. What they did was doing a group test of Happy Couples. Different purpose bikes with the similar under the skin geometry. Yamaha R6/FZ6, Triumph Speed Triple/Tiger, Kawasaki ZX14/GTR1400 and Suzuki Hyayabusa/B-King. Very interesting.

What they reported:
[don't know the legally about quoting this but: Courtesy of 2Wheels South Africa]

<to make it more readable>

Roll-on Acceleration
Now this is where there should be a big difference and my view is that all the other figures on the FZ6R would drop but these should be much better to believe the whole FZ6R more torque on lower revs but less torque on max revs story from Yamaha.

What was further said in the article is not realy worth mentioning because as usual only the liter bikes get to be recognised to the fullest what they were build for (compare apples with apples as I always say):
Quote on the FZ6-"Good beginners and pharmacy deliveries, it won't frigten a trainee pole dancer. That said, it did not prevent suicidal Wayne from hanging onto the equally mainiacal Clinton and Thomas aboard the ZX14 and Busa respectively. A wolf cub in lamb's clothing."

Attachments

S

SovietRobot

^^ I find it interesting that they claim the FZ6 is faster than the R6...
There's no way it takes an R6 5 seconds to do 0-60mph. The FZ6 is about 3.5seconds.

S

shreveport1

^^ I find it interesting that they claim the FZ6 is faster than the R6...
There's no way it takes an R6 5 seconds to do 0-60mph. The FZ6 is about 3.5seconds.
I agree with Soviet robot the R6 does 0-60mph in 2.9 sec,and Fz6 0-60 3.1sec,these are Yamaha factory numbers.the magazine Vdbergj1 is qouting however was using km so the mph are slightly higher in the conversion process,also have to assume these were not pro 600cc rider,s doing the test rides.anyway it made for a good read!!!:cheer: