Things to look for/questions to ask on a used fz6r

Plecebo

Hello everyone,

Starting to look at used FZ6r's in my area and wondering if anyone had a short list of questions I should be asking. I've done a little research and haven't come across any well known mechanical issues that I should ask about, but wanted to consult some experts.

I got the basic bike buying questions down, just looking for any fz6r specific things i might also ask about when talking with a private seller.

I've been looking at 2007 - 2009 bikes in the 2k-15k mileage range.

Any info is much appreciated

watch for scraped bar ends, levers, cases, footpegs, or frame sliders. Look at the condition of the chain to see how well they maintain their bike if its all black and looks dry they prolly didnt do much of a good job maintaining it. Check your blinkers to make sure they didnt do any funky wiring.

also look at their chicken strips to see what kind of rider they were.

watch for scraped bar ends, levers, cases, footpegs, or frame sliders. Look at the condition of the chain to see how well they maintain their bike if its all black and looks dry they prolly didnt do much of a good job maintaining it. Check your blinkers to make sure they didnt do any funky wiring.

also look at their chicken strips to see what kind of rider they were.

+

the steering stop. Thats a good indication if it has been down or abused.

Thanks for the information. I'm making a check list to take with me :)

As far as making sure the title is clean, I had trouble finding a title search service from the DMV here in WA. Some google searching brought me to cyclechex anyone ever used them to check motorcycle history?

go with them to the bank or to your local DMV to have it transfered. Dont do the parking lot ok sign here oh shoot I have to cross this out and then sign here deal.

Sounds like a familiar thread...

He asked, I just am warning him of things that CAN happen. Its better to have someone of a notary status do this, itll cost $5 but atleast its 100% valid and certified transaction.

He asked, I just am warning him of things that CAN happen. Its better to have someone of a notary status do this, itll cost $5 but atleast its 100% valid and certified transaction.

I sold a car to guy that lived almost 8 hours away. I signed my name in the seller spot and he in the buyer. Done deal. So I thought... He has to drive all the way back because my printed name on the title spelled out my middle name. I only signed it with my middle initial. :mad: You would not think they could be so picky but they can and will. Luckily there was room to fill in the full middle name and he was on his long road home, again! They accepted it this time so he did not have to come back. :thumbup:

But, as long as sellers name is signed exactly as it is printed on the title you will be fine.

If there is a loan on the bike you want to purchase, you should go to the bank with the money and him and hand over the money directly to the bank and have them transfer title right then and there to you. (assuming it is through a local bank).

As far as making sure the title is clean, I had trouble finding a title search service from the DMV here in WA.

Ask the owner if he has the title. If no, ask where it is.

I bought a motorcycle in 2009. Owner said Honda Finance Company had the title. We called (3 way call) the HFC and they said they would mail it 2-3 weeks after payoff. We did a bill of sale and I paid it off and told seller he would get the rest of the money (only ~$200) from the sale when I got the title. After 2-3 weeks no title so we did conference call again. Honda Finance Company said they can't find it. Next call from them they say they never had one and they would have to order it from the BMV and then mail it and that would take 2-4 weeks. They did eventually mail it. However, it was nearly two months after I bought the motorcycle that I got the title in hand. Previous owner was very helpful and Honda Finance people were incompetent. He could have been a dick. I will never buy again without a title in hand unless I can go to the bank that has the title to do the payoff so I can take possession immediately.

All a notary does is validate that the signature is real, and is from the person who claims to be doing the signing. They have no way to determine if the title is valid, if it's free and clear, or anything else about the transaction.

They check your ID, make sure you are the person named on the document, and certify that you are in fact that person.

" Its better to have someone of a notary status do this, itll cost $5 but atleast its 100% valid and certified transaction."

Wrongo buddy
A bank notary from either his or your bank will know how to do this because they finance vehicles to customers daily. I didnt say grab the clerk receptionist. If a notary stamps the approval on the transaction your 100% more likely to win anything in which goes to court over false documention of the sale. You have immediate legal recourse. I also said he could to go the local DMV, which most have a notary as well...they can verify, notorize, and transfer all in one shot.

Back