The trip where nothing went right...yet nothing went wrong.

Jay S.

Okay ya'll, I went on my first overnight trip on the Fizzer and I must say, I love that bike, just for the record.

I had a 5 day trip planned but life got in the way (deployment) so I planned a short 2 day out and back trip from Abilene to the Sam Houston National Forest. I didn't want to be away from the family for 5 days at this point. It is only 315 miles there, then I checked into the hotel and took a nap, planning to ride through the forest and park in the evening. It did not go to plan, read on if you will...

I was going to ride monday/tuesday, but my wife noticed there were severe storms in the forcast for the Houston area on tuesday. My wife and I decided it would be better for me to ride sunday/monday to avoid the storms. Ugh...might still be regretting that decision.

So I left right after the Easter Bunny came. Thankfully my daughter is 14 so she knows about the Bunny.

:D

Yes, I overpacked the bike, on purpose. I have a multi-day trip planned for next spring and I wanted to make sure the bike could handle all the gear. I took some tools, bike cover, rain gear (cover and raingear came in very handy later), chain cleaning kit and lube, tire repair kit and can of fix-a-flat, etc. My bags are expandable but I kept them small for this trip. Also packed a large backpack to see how two weeks of clothes would handle.

Bike all packed up and me getting on the road at 7:30am. Very overcast but no rain in the forecast.

Last edited:

Jay S.

First hour on the bike was great, damn I love that bike! Stopped for a photo and check all the gear to make sure everything was secure. Still overcast, but no rain.

:)

Pressed on until a quick stop after crossing a lake and took out the jacket liner as the temp was rising when the clouds cleared. The lake name eludes me right now, the damage to my house is still boggling my mind. You'll see if you read on...

Last edited:

Jay S.

Got the the hotel in Huntsville, just north of the forest. I unloaded my gear and took a nap since it was about 3 in the afternoon. Planned on riding through the forest after a nap. After my nap rode to Starbucks and got a coffee. Whilst sipping my nice cup of coffee, my wife calls and tells me that there are baseball sized hail hitting the house and tornado warnings. My daughter is hiding in the closet keeping the dogs calm. I almost think she is exaggerating but I go back to the hotel, load the bike back up and start riding home at 4:30pm. And I ride fast... Did I mention how much I love my FZ6R?

Purrs at 85 (or more) for hours on end. I'm even thinking about NOT changing the sprocket like I had planned. I do however, want some hard saddlebags. Anyway, I'm riding home like a madman, a very calm, controlled madman.

:cool:

Think about it though...I paid for a hotel room just to nap and crap. Sorry could not resist saying that! How many times in life do you get to use such a corny rhyme?

Last edited:

Jay S.

I'm about 80ish miles from Abilene when my wife calls. Aha, I have bluetooth in my helmet, and normally I only use it for music, but something told me to take her call. She asks me where I'm at, about 10 miles from the next town, and she says I should stop there for the night. I try to tell her that I could be home in an hour but she insists I stop. The weather is forcasting another storm to hit the route I'm on, a bad storm. I stop in Comanche, Texas at a brand new Best Western where three highways meet. I get a room, much against my wishes (hey, gotta keep the wife happy), and they are even kind enough to let me park the bike under the overhang, along with another couple on a Goldwing who stopped for the night as well. I grab some fritos, a 7-up and a nestle crunch bar from the vending machine for dinner. Huge thanks to the hotel staff for allowing our bikes under cover.

:rolleyes:

As you can see by the pic, it's shortly after 9:00pm and I've ridden 594 miles in one day. Did I mention I love that bike? I know some people don't like the seat, but after coming off of cruisers, I think this thing is very comfortable. I'll likely not change the seat. I'm very glad I installed a Vistacruise, it was worth every penny to stretch out the right hand from time to time. I'm considering a higher windscreen in the future, but no major complaints about the stock screen. Not much on this bike I would change. Windscreen and hardbags and maybe a sprocket. That's pretty damn good for a bike under $7K.

Last edited:

Jay S.

As soon as I get the bike unloaded and covered up, the storm rolls in. And I mean STORM. Sideways rain and winds that are insane. I sit and watch from my window being very glad I stopped, otherwise I'd be stranded on the highway in the middle of nowhere, huddled next to my bike. Ugh. My wife was right...story of my life. Adrenaline still pumping from the lightening all around my last bit of riding, I finally drift off to sleep around midnight.

Last edited:

Jay S.

Get up in the morning, have some coffee, load the bike, and I'm back on the road. The roads are freshly wet, but no rain for the first 30 miles. I start to get drizzled on so I stop and throw the rain gear on and take a quick photo. I cover the soft bags and tank bag with the rain covers that came with them. Only got light rain for a few minutes and the last 50 miles were just great. A nice cruise home.

By the way, I learned that if you lay on your tankbag, tucked behind the windscreen, you will increase your mileage by about 6-8 miles per gallon, no joke. Even at some "sport" touring speeds trying to get home and see what the huge hail has done to your house.

Last edited:

short_guy

Great story, glad to hear you made it in safe. Hailstorms are NO fun on a motorcycle.

Jay S.

I get home about 9:00am. Sunny in Abilene but my neighborhood is battered. Check out this hail my daughter put in the freezer. Got some roof damage and lost a skylight but hey, it could have been much worse. I still have a house and hell, I've been paying USAA for insurance that I never use. It's about time they give me some back right? Haha! Life is too short to complain over some shingles.

So like I said, nothing seemed to go right, or wrong. I did not see the forest, but rode some incredible highways (no interstates) and saw some beautiful scenery. Hell I put in almost 600 miles in a day which is the farthest single day ride I've done on the Fizzer. Did I mention how much I love that bike? Dang, do I love that bike. I bought it as an inexpensive, mid-size, sport-tourer and after this trip...I have never been more pleased.

Can't wait for next spring to get here for some serious sport-touring on this bad girl. (her name is Essy by the way).

I might as well titled the thread "My Fizzer Sport-Touring Appreciation Thread."

Earlier I said nothing went right...actually, it was a perfect trip, everything went right.

:cool:

Last edited:

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Jay S.

I for one am very very happy you, your family and your home are okay and that you LOVE that bike :cool:

You were very fortunate.
Hope I didn't let ya'll down with the suspense. Haha! If you could have seen the lightening blowing up in the dark Texas sky...wow. Words cannot describe it. Wish I could have gotten a picture of it.

I am totally counting my blessings, both for the safe ride, and the minor damage to my house.

I was VERY fortunate.

Thanks ya'll for reading. One of the best and most fun rides of my life, without a doubt.

:eek:

Did I mention how much I love that bike? As a cruiser convert, well, let's just say the conversion is complete. I see an FJR in my future when my daughter is off to college. The Fizzer will hold me over for the next 4 years.

Insurance appraiser coming tomorrow and my wife has a bucket of margaritas in the freezer.

Life is pretty damn good.

:iconbeer:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Hoops 09Raven

I was reading the 1st several parts and had to step away from my desk after a while. Darn good read, glad to hear everything for the most part worked out. And by the way, I love my bike :D

CDN6R

What a great,great story Jay.. Thank heaven that you are OK and that your house had so little damage. I hope that you have better luck than I did with my house insurance claim. (I was denyed:mad:,but that is a long story) Like you I had never had a claim before. Glad you love the Fizzer,,,every time I ride mine I am just amazed!

Jay S.

What a great,great story Jay.. Thank heaven that you are OK and that your house had so little damage. I hope that you have better luck than I did with my house insurance claim. (I was denyed:mad:,but that is a long story) Like you I had never had a claim before. Glad you love the Fizzer,,,every time I ride mine I am just amazed!
Appraiser is coming out today, but my deductable is over $1500...holy S**T.

Okay, rant over. It could have been much worse. I'll wait and see what the appraser says.

:spank: