Thank You Frame Sliders!!!

cbzdel

Thank You Frame Sliders!!!

I hear a page on the intercom saying the owner of a black yamaha street bike please head to the from security counter..

I go up there and the head security guy says he saw me come in so he knew it was my bike, then minutes later when some kids exited thee store with their parents they seen the motorcycle, the kids ran over and started to check it out.. Then the dad got on the bike and set one kid on the rear seat and another on the gas tank so the mom could take a pics with her cell phone!!! The the security guy ran out there the stop them, when to noticed him running towards them the jumped off the bike knocking it down! :mad::rant::rant::rant:

They got in their car and left while the security guy was trying to detain them, all he got was a license plate number..

So he leaves my bike as is and helps me pick it back up after he paged me and got me out there..

I inspect the damage and my fame slider is pretty well dented from the bumpy surface of the parking lot, and my rear brake lever was bent in about 1" other than that no damage at all :D

So it was good news that the frame sliders worked but bad news is that some of the people in the world are idiots and need to be taken to a field beaten! :rant::rant::rant:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

cbzdel

Best Buy filled a police report for me while I was there but when they asked me if I could estimate the damage, I said maybe $150.. They almost wanted to quite writing because it was such a little amount, guessing nothing will happen..

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

cbzdel

I really didnt know what to say.. I mean the rear brake lever is 1 bolt.. Parts plus 5 minutes labor.. Then there is frame slider, I paid $100 for the kit, I am sure I can get just the single slider for cheap or even the cheaper kit that now exists.

I thought $150 was high personally, but I have been to a deal once myself.. I bought my first car and the trans cooler line broke and it cost me $1000 to fix it at the dealer.. I googled it later on and found out the part was only like $50 and it would take no more than a half our to change.. The dealers are such a rip off, after that I bought all my own tools and have never been back to a dealer for anything on my own personals cars/bikes.. The wifes car (03 jetta) is not easy to work on so we do take that in though..

zig308

I say get a "repair quote" from a dealer and submit that to the police. Parts may be $150, but TIME is MONEY. Dealers charge $100/hr.

Trailer bike to shop: $100
Parts: $150
2 hours labor to replace parts: $200
Thorough inspection of the rest of the bike: $100

= $550

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

mfischler

Elite Member

cbzdel

seems like to much work haha.. I am not happy about the suituation but really its to much work..

I have a dented frame slider which is almost not noticeable, then I have a bent rear brake lever, which I bent back into place so its like new again...

Stricken

Man I remember posting a thread about this. It also happened in Best Buy!

Bigevildoer

And this entire thread is EXACTLY why I've got an alarm....

I pull into my designated parking spot in front of my work, which just so happens to be next to an intersection. Naturally, the school board has decided that this is where they will pick up high school students. I pull in at about 7:25am, and they get picked up at about 7:35am. There's usually a small number of kids when I pull in, but up to about 15-18 by the time their bus arrives. I make no small show of taking off the helmet, turning on the alarm etc. When I go in, my desk is near a window which is about 50 yards from my bike - naturally, I crack it open.

The whole spring and fall this year I've heard it give the warning chirp once - kids must have gotten the point after I poked my head out the door to have a peek.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I, too, have found evidence that someone has been on or messing around with my bike when its parked. I have a very specific routine for turning off and locking the bike when I get off of it. One day I came out and all my switches were in the wrong place and the bike was in a different gear. :rant:

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to catch anyone in the act, because when I do....:sinister::spank::spank::spank:

mekberg

I've also come back to my bike with my bars turned the wrong way and my passenger pegs down (I never ride 2 up). Some people have no class.

flyingminno

Hearing things like this make me want to rig a shocking mechanism, for when someone touches the bars, it gives them a good zap.

bmw675

dont get me wrong, but, you are acting way to calm about the situation then if it was mine. almost like you are bending over backwards for the guy. cheaper frame sliders, maybe just one...ect. im not a person to take advantage of a situation but, they screwed up and got caught. make them make you right.

cbzdel

to calm? what the hell are the police gonna do? you really think they will take the time out of their day to track down a guy that knocked over another guys bike? do they really have that much free time? In todays time if you want anything done you must take action and do it yourself!

the police wont do $hit!! guaranteed..

I had a $300 ladder stolen by a contractor we hired. We had a ladder behind our house, after the contractor left it was missing. We called him, he said oh yeah must of loaded it by mistake.. I will return it later.. Later never came, called and said we are going to report it stolen if it was not returned, it was never returned, so we reported it stolen. The police said they would look into it. A week passes, we call the police to check status, they say they are looking into it still. Another weeks passes so i call again, they are looking into it. I get pisses off and tell the cop I will deal with it myself it they dont. 3 days pass I call and what do you know they are dealing with it. I went on google and within 10 minutes I had the guys SSN, all contact info, a picture of his house. I knew everything about the guy. I went to his house and he pulled said if he sees me on his property he would shoot me. When leaving I noticed an ally behind the house so I drove that way and could see my ladder though the fence. So I called the police again and told them about the threat, and she said "they would look into it" a few days passed and I called the police back and said if they dont tell me something other than they are working on it, I am going myself to get it back. They said "Sir I am sorry for the inconvenience we are doing the best we can to aid you in the suituation". So I dressed in all black, packed a side arm incase he actually did try to shoot me and left at about 2am to get myself MY ladder back. I jumped his fence, found my ladder and took it home.

Never heard a word from the contractor or police again.. That being said, the poice in my area are BS, all they are good for is handing out speeding tickets and trying to bust you for things you didnt do (another story about my police) I was in an accident a few years back, and they detained me for 3 hours because they suspected I was drinking, how I dont know, because I was at school!! I had to take a breathalyzer every 15 minutes.. I was also put in jail for domestic violence for 4 days because I refused to give a drunk girl her car keys at a party of mine.. They said I cant keep someone against their will, but if she was to get into an accident it would be my fault for letting her drive drunk, what a great way to put it huh.. There were no charges once I seen the judge, he thought I did the right thing and agreed the law is BS..

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I kinda agree that very little will be done by the police. If it were me in the situation and not much damage was done, I would let it go as well. How often do people get caught messing with another person's bike? Any other time, you would come out, see it on the ground and pick it up. Chances are there would be no witnesses and no leads to follow. Since no major damage was done, I would treat it as if I didn't know the people responsible were caught in the act and let it go.

No use getting all worked up over a cosmetic blemish to a frame slider and an easily fixed bent brake lever. That's just my opinion.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. What sort of message does it send to the guy's kids - that it's ok to mess around with someone else's property? They should be taught to respect others' property. Even if you don't want the money, you should at least get an apology from the family.
That is true, but it's not his responsibility to teach someone else's kids right from wrong. That lies solely on the shoulders of the irresponsible parents. He can't hope to teach the kids it's not right to mess with another person's belongings if the parents don't reinforce the lesson themselves.

cbzdel

if I really wanted to get worked up I am pretty sure I could find an address from a license plate number. I have some connections at the department of licensing and the state patrol.

but then what, go to his house and kick his ass for a frame slider? and a scratched brake lever?

there is alot that can be done but if I take action in my own hands that when I get in trouble for what he started.