Temperary helmet lock

mdebuck

Simple and easy, the day i bought my bike i knew i was gunna need something especially since i didnt wanna lug around a helmet at a college campus all day. this is what i did.

1. took the passenger seat off, if you notice next to the support beam there is a bar that runs along next to it well i took a lanyard, (yes an ID lanyard) and i ran the neckless part of the lanyard through that bar.
2. after the lanyard loop is on the bar i ran the ID clip through one of the helmet loops ( the clip only fit through 1)
3. then i ran the ID clip down the the support beam bar like on step 1 with the lanyard loop.
4. pop the back seat back on and your helmet is locked.
now i know this isnt very secure and all somebody would need is a knife or scissors to cut it off but if you wanted to get wild with it and keep this you could also shorten up the lanyard leaving minimal amount of it exposed outside the bike. ALSO im very positive that this may be hard to understand. i cant explain things as well as i can show so i plan on having pics up if you all would like some. let me know what you all think

stevet

There is a small cable in your tool kit that works in the same way. While not good security it would be better than a lanyard.

flyingminno

There is a small cable in your tool kit that works in the same way. While not good security it would be better than a lanyard.
I agree, look in your tool kit for the cable.

I stopped using it personally and just lug it around campus, or use my license plate helmet lock. Basically, it bolts on behind the license plate using a special locking hex key, and locks (via key) the helmet on the side.

Let me know if you'd like pictures of it on the bike and in action.

2w05thletes

Cycle Gear sells a universal one that screws to the tube near the seat. Cost about $25 I think, perhaps less, I think it was on sale. I had to buy longer screws but all in all it's a lock with a key and it looks like it belongs the bike.

Cycle Gear - MOTION PRO: Helmet Lock, BLACK

The review says it broke but I've had mine for 6000 + miles and have had zero problems.

mdebuck

well then my dealer must be a dumba$$ he told me that id have to buy one so i went home and just thought of something i could use temperarily. man i feel like an idiot. thanks for the info guys

motoneta123

Hey Justin could you please upload any pic showing exactly where did you mount it? i'm using the under the seat cable to lock my helmet but placing the seat back just gets on my nerves,

2w05thletes

Hey Justin could you please upload any pic showing exactly where did you mount it? i'm using the under the seat cable to lock my helmet but placing the seat back just gets on my nerves,
Yes, I'll do it later this afternoon.

sammy56

Don't know if this alternative interests you or not....
Prior to getting a top case (where I now store my helmet), I used a simple bicycle lock, wrapped it around the chin guard and secured it to a solid component on the right/brake side of the bike. I would then simply rest the helmet on the passenger foot peg. Worked like a charm and I think the bicycle lock cost me $10 at Walmart.

LB

Detrich

dunno how common this is, but some friends told me this weekend not to get into the habbit of locking the helmet with the cable under the seat cowel for extended periods of time when away from the bike- mainly because prankster assholes sometimes do shit to motorcycle riders- just because they are ass. one of them said their friends' helmets got pee'd in once... :(