TBR Exhaust & Juice Box Review

Tijeras505

After all the hoopla, I had to get the TBR exhaust and also decided to splurge on a Juice Box. Got both from Newenough. I also installed a K&N air filter a few weeks ago. Just wanted to make some observations on this setup.

I took the bike to Sandia Crest, a typical two-lane mountain road running about 15 miles long starting at 7000 up to 10,000 ft altitude. It also has quite a few hairpin U-turns along with some long sweepers and double apex turns. I've been riding this course quite a bit this Summer.

First thing I noticed, the throttle response was much faster. It also really pulls much harder in the mid to upper RPM range. It also felt that when the throttle is released there is less engine braking than before, which I liked.

Losing the approximately 10 lbs from the OEM exhaust I think made a difference in two ways - 1) made the bike lighter so it should help engine response and 2) it seems to have raised the center of gravity a bit higher. I found it dropped into turns easier and was able to maintain more consistent lines through the turns - or am I just getting better at riding the bike??

Additionally, the suspension felt tighter, probably due to the weight loss. I have my shock set at 5.

Another thing I found is that I can actually hear the engine now via the exhaust. I always wear earplugs and I only heard air noise before. I found hearing the engine provided some really helpful feedback along the lines of having an idea of the RPMs without looking down (safer). I think it actually helps me be smoother on the throttle - both on and off along with better gear selection. I found that I tended to stay in lower gears with increased RPM. Guess I just liked hearing the sound of the new exhaust....

Overall the new exhaust sounds awesome and with the Juice Box fueling was flawless. No throttle delay or exhaust spitting or backfires. This package really makes the bike perform much better overall.

I didn't try running without the Juice Box so I can't comment on any difference it may have made specifically.

Running the Sandia Crest has also brought to my attention the need for better brakes. I regularly have to use both brakes when coming down the mountain into tight turns. It sometimes feels pretty scary. So I have already ordered the Spiegler Braided brake lines and the EBC Sintered pads, all for the front only. Once I get those installed I will post another review.

Hope this information helps.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the excellent review! I think with as much trouble as people are having with the Power Commander V, it may be worth it to go with the Juice Box.

Out of curiosity, I have read what the settings are when the unit arrives to you from the factory. Did you change any of them, or did you run it as-is straight out of the box??

angelsneverlose

Thanks for the excellent review! I think with as much trouble as people are having with the Power Commander V, it may be worth it to go with the Juice Box.

Out of curiosity, I have read what the settings are when the unit arrives to you from the factory. Did you change any of them, or did you run it as-is straight out of the box??

+1 :confused::D

Tijeras505

I ran the settings as is straight out of the box. I actually expected to have to make some changes but the way it is running, I don't see any area that "needs" tweaking. I may do some experimenting once I get more experience with the setup.

JonKerr

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
So this takes the place of a Power Commander if you change the exhaust and the intake?
It's not a replacement, per se. It's an alternative to the Power Commander in a more user-friendly application. You can make on-the-fly changes with the JB, while you need an external computer to make changes with the PCV.

Tijeras505

So this takes the place of a Power Commander if you change the exhaust and the intake?
The Power Commander has an almost infinite number of settings that you can adjust via a computer. It also has additional functionality, purchased separately, like the Auto Tune device that will automatically tune the Power Commander for your bike as you ride. Of course, you can choose a standard map for your bike and setup which should give you very good performance. The ultimate is to take your bike to a Dyno shop and have them run the bike on a dynamometer and make the settings on your PC for you. This also costs extra.

The Juice Box is much simpler. It comes with a standard map for your bike that has a Two Bros exhaust. You can then make changes within that base map. There are six settings based on engine load. You can increase or decrease fuel for a specific load condition or change the time when that condition is recognized. The six conditions are:

1) Add/Decrease fuel during cruise conditions.
2) Add/Decrease fuel during acceleration.
3) Add/Decrease fuel during full throttle.
4) Determines the point on the RPM range when the cruise condition turns on.
5) Determines the time when the acceleration mode turns on.
6) Determines the time when the full throttle mode turns on.

I personally wanted something easy to work with and even though the Power Commander offers so much more functionality, I feel I can get excellent performance from the Juice Box without any complexity or added cost.

Here's a youtube video that gives a basic explanation of the Juice Box. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j69HRVVxrs]YouTube - Juice Box 101[/ame].

There are other videos on youtube as well. I am sure there are some for the Power Commander also. Do some research to see what works best for you.

joloy133

I just did the "ultimate",.....PC-V with Dyno tune, highly recommended. I feel this was the best for me as it calibrates my modified stock exhaust and K&N intake at the rear axle. (Best torque/HP ratio at any given rpm.) At this point I just roll, until I modify something else. If you go with a HF intake and the TBR, the JB should be real close if $300 for a Dyno tune is too much. Either way, you're unquestionably much better than stock..........GL

mfischler

Elite Member

Tijeras505

After spending the money on the HF filter, exhaust and JB, I am broke! It's nice to see that people still have money to spend in this economy!