Swingarm - how to put back on

FastFreddy

Prelude :

I ordered a new set of sprockets and chain, as well as pads.
I've got 32 000 km on the clock on the FZ6R.

I ordered the original parts from Yamaha.

Masterlink :
I was surprised to find that the chain was an endless loop with no master link when it arrived. I rang around all the bike shops in my area (Sydney), no one had a masterlink for a DID520VP2 or DID520VM3 (the stamp on the sideplates).
The story for the DID distributors is that they can't sell masterlinks for OEM chains. So I ring Yamaha and don't get a call back.

I check the manual and it says to remove the swingarm in order to replace the chain.

So I figure, "great, I won't have to buy a chain breaker and riveting tool or a masterlink. It's probably easier to replace the swingarm than to use those chain tools anyway". In any case, I had no other option.

What happened.
I get up early on Saturday morning, work out that I need 2 jacks to balance the bike to keep the swingarm of the ground. Start pulling the swingarm off, then remember to undo the front sprocket first, then go to hardware store to buy the exact 30mm socket for the front sprocket. Anyway, everything came out easy enough, though the front sprocket must have been a locknut as it was hard to undo.

The Problem
I couldn't get the swingarm back on. From midday to 6pm I was trying.
I ended up taking the footped metal sections off too, but still no joy.
The problem is that with the dust covers on, the spacers on each swingarm joint stick out .5-1mm which prevent the swingarm going on. If I push the spacers in fully, this won't work either, as the act of putting the swingarm in position kinda squishes the dust covers which makes the spacer stick out again.

It was very frustrating as I was expecting a 2-4 hour maximum job, including changing brake pads.

So the question is, "how to get the swingarm back on" ?

Hopefully one of you have had a go at this and can pass on some tips.

thanks
FastFreddy (John).

bleedinblue

Elite Member

FastFreddy

I've since been reading on the forum that the nut for the front sprocket is banged into a groove on the spline which would explain the nut coming off with some difficulty. I spotted the groove after I took it off.

It's too late for a master link now, I have to put that swingarm back on, otherwise there's half a bike sitting in the garage.

One option is to put the swingarm back on without the dust covers, then ride to a workshop, but that's too expensive and they'll have the same problem in any case.

cheers
John (FastFreddy, well I like to stay loose on the bike even if going half Freddie's speed).

pilninggas

I have fitted quite a few swing-arms over the years and they can be a bloody tight fit.

Just a thought though, the engine is a stressed member. It might be that the frame is being 'pulled in' by the engine mounts (makes sense), if you loosen them off a bit you might be able to get the swing arm in. Perhaps your jacks are just loading the frame in such a way that it is closing the gap up.

The service manual just says to refit it, blah, blah.

If it helps we have all had easy jobs go nightmarish....I hope you can sort it.

FastFreddy

Thanks for the suggestions.

The jack points could be a problem, as it would tend to push the frame closer together.(see pic) My brother might come over later and we can work on either side of the bike to fit it together by pulling the frame out as we fit the swingarm.
It's his daughters birthday today, so I might have to wait.

I might need to find/make a special tool to push the frame slightly wider.

Another way is to take one jack off (the trolley jack), hold the weight of the bike on that side while I reposition the trolley jack to be directly underneath the frame. Hopefully that can work, the trolley jack would be in between the juice box and the frame that way. I'll try this tomorrow after I've recovered more as I'm a bit sore today after the 10 hour session (with flu). I should buy some Molybdenum Sulfide grease while I'm at it.

The good news, at least the swingarm is nice and clean now, and I changed the rear pads while I was at it yesterday.

Attachments

buzzbomb

Elite Member

FastFreddy

I managed to put the steed back together now.

The 2 swingarm bearing houses with the dust cover on are 68 mm.

I bought 2x M10 bolts about 65 mm long (luckily that was the only size for the cheap stuff), by unscrewing the nuts to make it 68-69mm long, I could get the frame gaps apart enough for the swingarm to slide half in. I put a bit of lithium grease on the ends of the bolts so I could carefully load up the frame. (wasn't much force at all)
Once the swingarm was half in, I could then remove the 2 bolts, then slide the swingarm all the way in.

I couldn't find the rear chain guard bolt, but I had an M6 from my car lying in the tool box so I used that.

I'll have a good feed now, finally finished.

Last edited:

FastFreddy

In retrospect, if you have to remove the swingarm, ideally you could suspend the rear of the bike from the roof. The normal jack points cause the frame to go in .5 mm on each side, enough to stop the swingarm sliding back in easily.

A front stand would be recommended too.

------

The other way would be to remove the exhaust and jack from directly underneath the frame.

I hate touching exhaust studs though, after working on turbo cars I've found they are best left alone if at all possible. Make sure you soak the exhaust studs/bolts in WD40 or equiv if you have to remove, studs/bolts near the hot parts have a habbit of snapping.

buzzbomb

Elite Member