Stuck at a red light...what to do?

killabee

Hey all,

I work very early hours and when I leave for work there is no one on the road. There have been times when I get stuck at a red light while riding my bike.

What are some ways to trigger the light to turn green?

Last resort would be running the red light. Has anyone ever had to run a light and had bad luck with a cop catching you?

Thanks!

-Jeff

F

FZ6R_Blue

not sure where you are but in MN if you have waited " a resaonable amount of time" you can go. check with local DMV or ask a cop

Sage

It actually recently became legal for a motorcycle to run a red light after waiting a "reasonable amount of time" which is around 2-3 minutes here in Illinois. I just make sure it's completely clear before I proceed

Fizzer6R

Jeff sounds like you might be going up too far to trip the signal. maybe ease up about a car's length back, then "walk" the bike up while sitting with your feet slowly could get it to change

i have heard about the safe to proceed through it also

F

FZ6R_Blue

the signals are tripped by certain amount of metal in the car/truck... bikes don't have enough to set it off.

Chevyfazer

For the old school lights that use the wires in the ground to detect metal it sometimes helps to put your kickstand down right on top of one of the loops, I superglued about 50 super strong, and really small magnets to the sole of my boot which seems to help also, or it might just be a placebo effect...

RACreative

Hey all,

I work very early hours and when I leave for work there is no one on the road. There have been times when I get stuck at a red light while riding my bike.

Last resort would be running the red light. Has anyone ever had to run a light and had bad luck with a cop catching you?

Thanks!

-Jeff
I just took the CA Motorcycle Test.. if you wait for 2 light changes and the left arrow does not turn green.... then you can go if it is safe... not sure about going straight, I would assume the same would apply. If a cop pulls you over it may be a good opportunity to ask what you should do :^)

F

FZ6R_Blue

A couple guys i know ride with them and they work...sometimes. im not sure how or why it works or doesn't work.

JSP

Super Moderator
Get off the bike and press the cross walk button. ;)

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

BoneJj

there are a couple things you can do.

If your area has magnetic sensors (the cut lines in the pavement will be the tell tail sign where they buried the sensor cables. Take a few neodymium magnets and stick them to the bottom side of your bike, near the back as it's all to common and easy for a bike to overshoot the sensor wires.

If you have camera type sensors the easiest thing to do is as you come up to a red light turn your brights on, it will hit the camera and make you look bigger and it'll turn green faster, if you have those little camera type sensors around it's best to stay back from the light a little so that your brights can have some impact on the camera.

Alex6

Hey all,

Thanks!

-Jeff
Didn't you just say "... there is no one on the road. ..."? Just go! Seriously.

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member
Last edited:

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

miketriebsch

Not going to lie, I run The light after sitting there for like a min. Lol

RACreative

Can you make a "right turn on Red" and go around the block??

I did that last time I was stuck at a light that wouldn't change. Now, I just avoid that particular light/intersection & go a different route.
We just moved from AZ and I asked a cop what we should do.. that was exactly what he said to do... the only problem with that is that sometimes route changes to avoid intersections is often a huge inconvenience. I prefer to just run the red lights.. providing it is safe.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member