stiff upshifting?

Lonelyrider

I just got my FZ6R last week, and rode it couple times. I put on about 110km. I have noticed stiff upshifting from 3rd to 4th gear? now i don't have a lot of exp on bikes, so i don't know if that's suppose to happen? does anyone has the same concern? please help! thank you

Last edited:

flyingminno

Well shifting is rather stiff, but as long as it's not stuck, grinding, or locking a false neutral, it should be alright. If you want to make sure its not something serious, then you might consider giving it an early oil change, since the oil lubricates the transmission.

DragonBlu

It should shift the same all the way up through the gears. Mine does and all other bikes I have had that were in good condition did. Make sure you are fully pulling the clutch in the same all the time. If you just bought it new,take it back to the dealer and have them check it out.

Lonelyrider

thanks for the quick response guys~
it wasn't stuck, grinding or locking, just feel stiff, sometimes I wasnt even sure if i upshifted or not? I know I am still pretty new to bikes, but I am sure I had my clutch pulled in all the way before I shift, and I only noticed the stiffness on 3rd to 4th? any other gears were fine?

Maybe I will try to change my oil, should I change my filter as well?

DragonBlu

I would change the filter also. The first oil change is going to be full of metal which is normal on a new engine. The oil will look cloudy.

Lonelyrider

I was just thinking maybe all the components are still new? thats why it feels stiff? not sure, but I will change the oil and filter and try to ride it as much as i can before winter time.

So no one else has the same concern about this on their FZ6R?

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Remember that this is a new bike and things are still getting seated properly. Once you get past the first service, things do smooth out considerably, including the shifting/transmission.

F

FZ6Rgurl

I've actually had problems where my bike would literally get stuck in neutral. I sat at a light for a few seconds stomping on the gear shifter trying to get it into 1st. I took it to the dealership, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They took the clutch assembly apart and everything. But apparently what they did with the clutch helped. Cause it doesn't get stuck anymore.

Roaddawg

Since you just bought it and it's under warranty, I'd take it to the dealer and see what they think. Let them do the oil change if they think it's a problem. I would hate to see you try and 'ride it out' and it not get any better. Get it documented through the dealer first. That's my advice.

Lonelyrider

I see~ I will try to ride it more and see if it got improved, if not then I will take it to dealership and have it inspected~ thanks guys!

Last edited:

flyingminno

I've actually had problems where my bike would literally get stuck in neutral. I sat at a light for a few seconds stomping on the gear shifter trying to get it into 1st. I took it to the dealership, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They took the clutch assembly apart and everything. But apparently what they did with the clutch helped. Cause it doesn't get stuck anymore.
This usually occurs when the clutch cable has slightly too much slack, as well as oil that needs replacing. To get it out of neutral in situations like that, just up shift to second, roll back or forward, then down shift completely. I used to ride an older bike, and if I wasn't careful, it would do this at every light.

porky45

This usually occurs when the clutch cable has slightly too much slack, as well as oil that needs replacing. To get it out of neutral in situations like that, just up shift to second, roll back or forward, then down shift completely. I used to ride an older bike, and if I wasn't careful, it would do this at every light.
exactly. if you are sitting a a light in neutral and it won't kick down to first you need to roll forward or backwards.

As far as stiff shifting goes... are you riding out 3rd gear to 5k+ or are you shifting below 5k?

joloy133

I find it best to shift at or above 6000 rpm. It's a 4 cyl. that was made to rev! (Shifting is flawless, quick and smooth at this rpm, try it you'll see.)

mbridge51

I just got my FZ6R last week, and rode it couple times. I put on about 110km. I have noticed stiff upshifting from 3rd to 4th gear? now i don't have a lot of exp on bikes, so i don't know if that's suppose to happen? does anyone has the same concern? please help! thank you
Mine did the exact same thing for the first 100-150 miles, but shifting smoothed out thereafter. After my 1st oil change at 600 miles the shifting smoothed out even more.

SilentT

SwifterShiffter

had a problem with the shifter not returning firm after an upshifting ? I seem to get a floppy/float feel before I can get engagement to the next gear
It could be operatr error

SilentT

swifter shifter

had a problem with the shifter not returning firm after an upshifting ? I seem to get a floppy/float feel before I can get engagement to the next gear

porky45

I find it best to shift at or above 6000 rpm. It's a 4 cyl. that was made to rev! (Shifting is flawless, quick and smooth at this rpm, try it you'll see.)
exactly...when the bike is all warmedup and you ride it out a bit more into the 6,7,8k area and then shift it's a beauty.

Lonelyrider

Mine did the exact same thing for the first 100-150 miles, but shifting smoothed out thereafter. After my 1st oil change at 600 miles the shifting smoothed out even more.
I see, so i should just put more mileage on then change oil and filter, and it should be alright... thanks!

Last edited: