Squeeking Chain??!!

Deathdiesel

Hey guys, this is gunna seem dumb but I was cleaning my bike today and noticed this noise. Fricking drives me crazy because I clean and lube my chain every 500 miles. I cant see any links that are binding or anything, and the tension seems about right, I havent measured it yet, but it seems right. It seems to be coming from the front sprocket specifically.

Heres a vid of noise in question

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Deathdiesel

Hmm tried that, cleaned out some gunk and grease, but didnt fix it at all. Even tried running the bike and it still does it in all gears.

Fizzer6R

what are you using to cclean and lube the chain with?

maybe it's the video, the chain looks dry - yes I know you're suppose to lube the rollers and not all over the outside of the chain, but usually you can see wetness...

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Deathdiesel

Ya it sounds like it's from the front sprocket. Maybe some sort of bearing in there? You may need to remove bits and pieces to identify where it's coming from.
yeah, I would take off the sprocket cover and look for gunk... maybe throw on some lube on the sprocket itself.... that would annoy the heck out of me too
So It wouldnt hurt anything If I sprayed lube right on the bearing right? Is it possible that I sprayed too much cleaner on, and it seeped into the bearing, and took off some grease?

And yes guys I have taken the cover off, nothing that I could see was in the way.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Take the front sprocket off so the chain is out of the mix. Or just loosen the rear axle, slide it forward and take the chain off the front. Either way, get the chain off the front and spin it. See if it sounds the same. If so, it would seem possible it is your output shaft bearings (not good). Or it is indeed just your chain.

I think it is just your chain rollers squealing across the rubber guide myself though. How many miles on chain and sprockets?

Deathdiesel

yep, take the cover off and spray a little lube right on the front sprocket, see if it goes away...

it's also possible that with wax that the rollers themselves did not get any lube inside, it could just be the rollers going across the guide causing the noise... that's why I usually over lube and then let it sit overnight... bit messy, but then I feel better that all the parts are covered... wipe off any excess the next day
Take the front sprocket off so the chain is out of the mix. Or just loosen the rear axle, slide it forward and take the chain off the front. Either way, get the chain off the front and spin it. See if it sounds the same. If so, it would seem possible it is your output shaft bearings (not good). Or it is indeed just your chain.

I think it is just your chain rollers squealing across the rubber guide myself though. How many miles on chain and sprockets?
4.3k miles...And Seriously. When I lubed the chain I only sprayed the outside and inside edge to get the O-rings, didnt spray in the middle so guess what. It was the non lubricated middles bars hitting the plastic guides.:banghead::stupidpc: Irritating, but atleast its fixed now. Thanks for the help guys.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

BoneJj

4.3k miles...And Seriously. When I lubed the chain I only sprayed the outside and inside edge to get the O-rings, didnt spray in the middle so guess what. It was the non lubricated middles bars hitting the plastic guides.:banghead::stupidpc: Irritating, but atleast its fixed now. Thanks for the help guys.
Are you using the motul spray lube? I purposely use the tubes as I like to use a grunge brush to both clean and then put the new lube back on as well. Also I like to put a good amount on the chain and either use the grunge brush or an old tooth brush to wipe it all around on the chain.

I typically buy this:
MOTUL Chain Paste 150Ml 102984

One tube lasts me easily 6k miles or more, it doesn't take much and it goes on great with a tooth brush.